Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410851 times)

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #9960 on: August 31, 2015, 04:45:39 PM »
question: if I happened to draw myself in Minna's style... or like, TRIED... would I post the results in the normal art museum, the art style swap, or in how do you look?

I'd say normal art museum, and you already have lots of photos in the how do you look thread anyway... ::)

I've daydreamed about drawing in Minna's style often; maybe now I might attempt it if someone else is doing it, hmmm

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #9961 on: August 31, 2015, 04:47:19 PM »
question: if I happened to draw myself in Minna's style... or like, TRIED... would I post the results in the normal art museum, the art style swap, or in how do you look?

Probably not the how do you look thread, because that is for pictures of how you actually look (at least that's what it's been used for).
Probably not art style swap, because that's for forum internal, organised swaps (at least according to the OP).
Probably the art museum because well, it's art.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #9962 on: August 31, 2015, 04:49:47 PM »

The regular art museum might be your best bet, and if you start a trend and it gets really popular to do so, we can always make a new thread in the self insert board :)

Oh! Thank you for reminding me! Style swap round two is now open for participants!
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #9963 on: August 31, 2015, 04:51:53 PM »
Fits in both normal art museum and the how do you look thread, I'd say.
Probably not the how do you look thread, because that is for pictures of how you actually look (at least that's what it's been used for).
Probably not art style swap, because that's for forum internal, organised swaps (at least according to the OP).
Probably the art museum because well, it's art.
The regular art museum might be your best bet, and if you start a trend and it gets really popular to do so, we can always make a new thread in the self insert board :)
I'd say normal art museum, and you already have lots of photos in the how do you look thread anyway... ::)
you can't see me but I'm holding up two thumbs rn, thanks!
I know there have been some drawn portraits in the "how do you look thread" before, which is why I included it, but I can't argue that I have a billion pictures of myself there already. Normal art thread it is!
you'll know where to find me.

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #9964 on: August 31, 2015, 05:04:31 PM »
At the speed this thread is moving this counts as a necro, but I felt like answering.
and i just found this thing and can someone confirm if learning a new language is like this

That's what learning a language as an (unmotivated) adult is like. You're aware of the mistakes you make, and of all the things (read:grammar) that you don't know yet. As a kid it's much more effortless, you can even pick up languages from TV unintentionally. I find it so weird that not all countries teach foreign languages to children. It's a bit of a shame to waste those young language-sponge years.

Mélusine

« Reply #9965 on: August 31, 2015, 05:05:38 PM »
please watch treasure planet. i'm not saying this in a "GASP, you've NEVER WATCHED IT WHAT BLASPHEMY"-way, but in a THE MOVIE IS SO BEAUTIFUL AND GOOD YOUR LIFE WILL BE BETTER BECAUSE OF IT way
I'm not sure my whole life will change, but it was a good movie and refreshing* as a Disney :)
(* One of my housemates LOVES Disney princesses. A lot. And come back here with a lot of Disney. Here, no princess, science-fiction, good characters... yes, a good movie.)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
« Reply #9966 on: August 31, 2015, 05:18:08 PM »
At the speed this thread is moving this counts as a necro, but I felt like answering.
That's what learning a language as an (unmotivated) adult is like. You're aware of the mistakes you make, and of all the things (read:grammar) that you don't know yet. As a kid it's much more effortless, you can even pick up languages from TV unintentionally. I find it so weird that not all countries teach foreign languages to children. It's a bit of a shame to waste those young language-sponge years.

It really is amazing. I have a friend who picked up French effortlessly because she was in a French-speaking kindergarten. My nephew, who moved to the US from Brazil 6 months ago is now almost fluent in English after spending three months in an all-English preschool program. It's amazing.
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #9967 on: August 31, 2015, 05:20:37 PM »
relevant

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #9968 on: August 31, 2015, 05:30:26 PM »
I'm not sure my whole life will change, but it was a good movie and refreshing* as a Disney :)
(* One of my housemates LOVES Disney princesses. A lot. And come back here with a lot of Disney. Here, no princess, science-fiction, good characters... yes, a good movie.)
I'm not saying your life will change, just be better. your life is now one where you have seen Treasure Planet, as opposed to a life where you haven't. that has to be an improvement

haha yeah this is 99% the reason I'm trilingual and not even multilingualer... any attempts at learning more languages at age 15 and up, despite already being fluent in czech and english, were nowhere as successful.

relevant

I learned how to say ř at age 6 but I don't remember how. also who are saying l's instead of it?  the sound of a botched ř is ž
you'll know where to find me.

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #9969 on: August 31, 2015, 05:31:17 PM »

Ehh. Don't agree. Schools just do it wrong, with a "Depending on how many mistakes you make, you will be judged" and a "Do these exercises, and these ones, and these ones. Oh fun? That comes later, when you're fluent." attitude. I'd rather have them encourage students in learning a language on their own or something... Or just change methods.

Language learning is fun. It's tough, but fun. It should be regarded as such imho.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #9970 on: August 31, 2015, 05:32:39 PM »
Let me just note here real quick that no Hungarian person in their right mind thinks of them as cases.

To quote Benny Lewis:

*shrug*

Regular cases are still cases.

What they mean is that Hungarian doesn't have declensions.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #9971 on: August 31, 2015, 05:48:05 PM »
As long as we're on the topic of learning languages as an adult (do I count as an adult? I guess so. Sure, let's go with that), does anyone have any good tips for doing it? Because I go through periods of frantic activity, followed by becoming extremely frustrated and stopping, and that's not really getting me anywhere.

Spoiler: show

“Fluent in 3 months” Benny Lewis proudly proclaims. “Fluent in 3 months” he repeats, in an assertive tone. “Fluent in 3 months” he demands, “Or else.”
And this. I feel so much very pressured by things like these and I feel like I'm doing something wrong and it's not going fast enough and blerg.
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #9972 on: August 31, 2015, 05:54:07 PM »
As long as we're on the topic of learning languages as an adult (do I count as an adult? I guess so. Sure, let's go with that), does anyone have any good tips for doing it? Because I go through periods of frantic activity, followed by becoming extremely frustrated and stopping, and that's not really getting me anywhere.

I think it's important to find a pace that works for you. I find that if I pressure myself too much with it, I get burnt out.

It's also important to find a way of practicing/using it that interests you, and that you feel confident doing. What works for me is writing casually in the target language with a friend who is also learning it, but it took me a while to realize that I enjoy that.

A relaxed pace can be very helpful... especially if you're having to work it into a busy schedule already taken up by a job and daily life.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Mélusine

« Reply #9973 on: August 31, 2015, 06:02:12 PM »
I'm not saying your life will change, just be better. your life is now one where you have seen Treasure Planet, as opposed to a life where you haven't. that has to be an improvement
It was a lack in my culture. One lack less ;)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #9974 on: August 31, 2015, 06:06:37 PM »

Spoiler: show
And this. I feel so much very pressured by things like these and I feel like I'm doing something wrong and it's not going fast enough and blerg.

Okay so. First of all. Have fun.

Really. I mean it. Otherwise it's useless. You'll inevitable lose interest.

Don't be afraid to experiment with paces. Start slow, comfortable is better than quick.

Speak. Do it. Even if you know three words total. Trust me, it helps. A lot.

Cast your pride aside. Ego is not a concept that you should have while learning a language. You WILL make mistakes and you WILL "look stupid".

Live the language. Exercises are good, keep a list of vocab at hand to study, but the most important part is to speak, listen, read and write. Conversations, movies, songs, children's books, anything that you can get your hands on.

The dictionary is your best friend, and a paper one is better than an online one.

Live the language and have fun, did I already say those? 
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: