Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411646 times)

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #9480 on: August 18, 2015, 08:05:58 PM »
Owl, I can't be helpful for the work you have to do but I'm pretty sure some persons here could have advices for you :) I have *Hugs* if you want ? Let's say it's okay *Hugs* Breathe deeply ; and I assume your mum won't hate you for a difficult morning. Everybody experiment that sometimes.
And for postcards, here we can find them in various shops including some bookshops and cultural places/places with tourists.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #9481 on: August 18, 2015, 08:28:54 PM »
And now, the uh.... Sequel/spinoff series to Haiz's University Life Adventures: "Owl's Third Year Crisis; Please I Just Want To Go Home"

Asdfghjklgggggl I don't want to go to class this morning, everyone in it's horrible and the one person I like hasn't been there for four weeks. Also it's just really boring.

I finally was able to see my design teacher, after three weeks of no feedback/contact. So I'm failing that. I was going to withdraw from the unit but I'd be in too much trouble plus I missed the penalty-free deadline :/ so I've got 5 weeks until the grad show and I have no work. I just have no energy, motivation or ideas for anything.
And now I have to have an animation ready to present on Monday, but I don't have any digital art programs to make it on? I think I can remember how to make a Gif in photoshop....but I don't know how to even draw and colour in photoshop.... And it needs to be digital for the resolution to be ok when it's eventually projected or whatever.
I don't even know how I'm going to present my project for the show and examination, I've never been able to see a grad show. Any ideas? What do people usually do with their stuff??
I think the only way I might possibly pass this year is because the teacher likes me, but then at the end it's not her who's marking the work...so imma fail this big time. And will have to repeat the semester- which will only cost the same amount of money than if I quit now and tried again next year.
Just...aaaaa I don't have anyone that I can bounce ideas off and ask for help from, so I've turned into a crab and just, spiraled myself down into a sand hole. :I
I was in such a funk this morning (because someone has actually hidden/lost all my underwear, I had to wait half an hour to get a hairbrush out of a bathroom, then I couldn't use the bathroom, both sisters were behaving like spoiled turds this morning) I nearly punched through the car window, and I didn't even say Bye or Thankyou to mum when she dropped me off at the university. So I feel like satan.

Different topic: where can you buy postcards?

Hhhhhhhhuuuu I am so so so sorry! I can offer what little I know about animation in photoshop, but I'm really not very experienced and I really hope you somehow hit on a bunch of luck/inspiration/serendipitous combination of both in time ;__;
YEET

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #9482 on: August 18, 2015, 09:32:04 PM »
And now, the uh.... Sequel/spinoff series to Haiz's University Life Adventures: "Owl's Third Year Crisis; Please I Just Want To Go Home"

>snip!<  REALLY  Rotten Morning

Oh, Owl.  That's the cherry on top of the sundae, innit?  :-\  We're all pulling for you, though!  :)  *RODB crosses fingers AND toes for luck.*
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

Jethan

• Ranger
  • Lurker and Forum Gamer
« Reply #9483 on: August 19, 2015, 04:13:05 AM »

Asdfghjklgggggl I don't want to go to class this morning, everyone in it's horrible and the one person I like hasn't been there for four weeks. Also it's just really boring.

I finally was able to see my design teacher, after three weeks of no feedback/contact. So I'm failing that. I was going to withdraw from the unit but I'd be in too much trouble plus I missed the penalty-free deadline :/ so I've got 5 weeks until the grad show and I have no work. I just have no energy, motivation or ideas for anything.
And now I have to have an animation ready to present on Monday, but I don't have any digital art programs to make it on? I think I can remember how to make a Gif in photoshop....but I don't know how to even draw and colour in photoshop.... And it needs to be digital for the resolution to be ok when it's eventually projected or whatever.
I don't even know how I'm going to present my project for the show and examination, I've never been able to see a grad show. Any ideas? What do people usually do with their stuff??
I think the only way I might possibly pass this year is because the teacher likes me, but then at the end it's not her who's marking the work...so imma fail this big time. And will have to repeat the semester- which will only cost the same amount of money than if I quit now and tried again next year.
Just...aaaaa I don't have anyone that I can bounce ideas off and ask for help from, so I've turned into a crab and just, spiraled myself down into a sand hole. :I
I was in such a funk this morning (because someone has actually hidden/lost all my underwear, I had to wait half an hour to get a hairbrush out of a bathroom, then I couldn't use the bathroom, both sisters were behaving like spoiled turds this morning) I nearly punched through the car window, and I didn't even say Bye or Thankyou to mum when she dropped me off at the university. So I feel like satan.

Ouch, that's a really tough start to a day.  :(
How long does the animation have to be?  How detailed?  Maybe it would work to have a simple animation with an object you draw once and then just move around, turn, and maybe change colors in other layers to make it look animated without having to draw several layers?  I just imagined a giant star falling down and bopping a character on the head and kind of bouncing around while the character basically just changes facial expressions.  Maybe some sparkles fly off of it.  I've kinda animated stuff with Windows Movie Maker, it may be slightly monotonous to arrange all the pictures, and not the most efficient means to animate, but it's what I have available and maybe you have it too?  It is pretty cool to have a character move, even if the art isn't super refined.
I hope that helps get ideas bouncing around for you!
An innate goofball who wanted to be elegant and composed.  That ain't happening.

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #9484 on: August 19, 2015, 04:19:47 AM »
Spoiler: show

You use Adobe ImageReady to make GIFs, it's an extension of sorts for photoshop. That's what I've been using anyways and it works fine. I think you usually get it automatically if you download photoshop.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #9485 on: August 19, 2015, 04:32:37 AM »

Woolworths has them, as do post offices, usually. Birchalls mights? Sometimes flower stores have them, flowers and cards just... mix. Any Hobart-specific stores, I don't know.

I have no clue about animation, I'm sorry (been meaning to get into it for years but haven't yet). Also no clue how I am with idea stuff (I mean, how do you gauge that?), but if you need to, I'm totally available to talk about it and bounce things around.
Am notified of private messages via email.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #9486 on: August 19, 2015, 05:38:41 AM »

Yup, very minimal animation, basically just moving posters. The one I'm gonna do for Monday is all still except for some floating water blobs and a curtain in a slight breeze, also the text will do that jitter thing where it's been drawn a few times.
Aaaa thanks! I think I'm just going to hand draw the first one, as much as I want colours ;-; I just can never work out how computer drawing works -_-
Woolworths has them, as do post offices, usually. Birchalls mights? Sometimes flower stores have them, flowers and cards just... mix. Any Hobart-specific stores, I don't know.

I have no clue about animation, I'm sorry (been meaning to get into it for years but haven't yet). Also no clue how I am with idea stuff (I mean, how do you gauge that?), but if you need to, I'm totally available to talk about it and bounce things around.
:) thanks!! I'll go check out those places!
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #9487 on: August 19, 2015, 12:05:29 PM »
Aw, Owl. If it's any consolation, most of the people in my classes had to repeat semesters or quit and try again. It's much much much more common than you might initially think, and it's a perfectly valid option.

Hmm, more school troubles inbound. :I

So, I've moved 4 times in the last 4 months.  Been hopping from location to location staying with friends and working. But now work is over and school is in session, so I'm back to living on campus. Just moved in on Friday.  Sadly, my roommates were randomly assigned again because my school's housing department is evil, so I got really really weird roommates this year.  I intended to room with a friend, but they wouldn't let me, but then that friend texted me last night saying one of his randomly assigned roommates never showed up, so he has a space available. So now we gave to talk to housing department and hope they let me move a 5th time.

And now I'm sitting outside my first class of the semester, waiting for it to start. For those of you not often in the chat, I greatly dislike my major. A couple nights ago the sense of dread for the coming semester was so overwhelming I broke down and cried.  :(  So now I wait. I've got a difficult time ahead, but the sense of dread is slightly more tame now at least.  I'm so tired of studying. :'(  I've done nothing but study for so long, and I'm just... weary.

Sorry for venting. I just kinda needed to tell my internet people as well as my irl people. u__u
Feel free to PM.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #9488 on: August 19, 2015, 12:10:47 PM »
Hug ? Tea ? Biscuits ?
How many years will you still have to study, Eich ? *Not often on the chat, knows nothing*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #9489 on: August 19, 2015, 12:16:09 PM »
In other news, I'm at the freaking Green Man Festival, hell yes from Thursday (coincidentally also my results day) to Monday, so I'm probably not going to be back here 'til Tuesday- I'm sure you guys will somehow manage without me for that long. (spoiler- you'll do it really easily)
See you all then!

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #9490 on: August 19, 2015, 12:27:34 PM »
In other news, I'm at the freaking Green Man Festival, hell yes from Thursday (coincidentally also my results day) to Monday, so I'm probably not going to be back here 'til Tuesday- I'm sure you guys will somehow manage without me for that long. (spoiler- you'll do it really easily)
See you all then!

We will of course miss you Para!!

Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #9491 on: August 19, 2015, 12:56:36 PM »
Aw, Owl. If it's any consolation, most of the people in my classes had to repeat semesters or quit and try again. It's much much much more common than you might initially think, and it's a perfectly valid option.

Hmm, more school troubles inbound. :I

So, I've moved 4 times in the last 4 months.  Been hopping from location to location staying with friends and working. But now work is over and school is in session, so I'm back to living on campus. Just moved in on Friday.  Sadly, my roommates were randomly assigned again because my school's housing department is evil, so I got really really weird roommates this year.  I intended to room with a friend, but they wouldn't let me, but then that friend texted me last night saying one of his randomly assigned roommates never showed up, so he has a space available. So now we gave to talk to housing department and hope they let me move a 5th time.

And now I'm sitting outside my first class of the semester, waiting for it to start. For those of you not often in the chat, I greatly dislike my major. A couple nights ago the sense of dread for the coming semester was so overwhelming I broke down and cried.  :(  So now I wait. I've got a difficult time ahead, but the sense of dread is slightly more tame now at least.  I'm so tired of studying. :'(  I've done nothing but study for so long, and I'm just... weary.

Sorry for venting. I just kinda needed to tell my internet people as well as my irl people. u__u

Sorry to hear that Eich. 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 03:23:26 PM by ReturnOfDaveBro »
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #9492 on: August 19, 2015, 02:39:54 PM »

Owl, I really really wish I could do something more for you than wish you the best!
About digital programs, do you have a tablet? Pencil is a free, open-sourced animation program that I used to make a never-finished animation, below spoiler (I abandoned it because I didn't have a tablet at the time and making all the lines with a mouse and vectors were a black hole of time-consumption. And religious saving was needed. But it worked, and if you need some free software quick, it might help).

If you export all images as png files, you can upload to gifmaker.me (or similar sites, I'm sure they're out there) for making the actual animation.

Made on pencil and gifmaker:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #9493 on: August 19, 2015, 04:02:00 PM »
Owl, I really really wish I could do something more for you than wish you the best!
About digital programs, do you have a tablet? Pencil is a free, open-sourced animation program that I used to make a never-finished animation, below spoiler (I abandoned it because I didn't have a tablet at the time and making all the lines with a mouse and vectors were a black hole of time-consumption. And religious saving was needed. But it worked, and if you need some free software quick, it might help).

If you export all images as png files, you can upload to gifmaker.me (or similar sites, I'm sure they're out there) for making the actual animation.

Made on pencil and gifmaker:

Pardon me but I need to know - what exactly is that troll's head doing and why does it have a spruce on its head?

EDIT: Ah, I see it now, the neck is there but hasn't been drawn in for all the frames.

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #9494 on: August 19, 2015, 06:41:46 PM »
Trying to get more art trades done, and of course my cat decides that the best place to me is under my desk, stretched out so his little kitty claws keep stabbing my feet  ::)

This is 100% normal and accurate for this particular cat, no need to worry here folks, I did not murder my cat  ;)
:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat: