Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387220 times)

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #795 on: October 26, 2014, 04:17:13 AM »
Is...is that your cat?? It's so cute and blatant!

You sort of tip/scoop the jam onto the end and just spread it? Our jam jars have pretty large openings though lol
We mostly do it for laughs ;P

Here we go, it's still on the bench waiting to be put away :S

Yep, that's Cat. She's an adorable little stinker. :D

Ooooooh, I see. Large opening plus the design of the machete makes it seem a lot less ridiculous than what I was thinking. I'm used to parangs, and I think they're blunter in front and maybe somewhat bigger, but I've just wandered the house with a spoon (for size comparison) in hand and found no parangs, so I can't really say.

noako

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #796 on: October 26, 2014, 04:22:02 AM »
Yes, we are aware that estonian isn't a dead language. Same with faroese.

I'm afraid I don't see much point for this thread.

Vanemasjaajaja

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #797 on: October 26, 2014, 04:35:35 AM »
Eh ok, I'll indulge my weird sense of humor elsewhere.

Raya

« Reply #798 on: October 26, 2014, 07:03:17 AM »
Urgh, I've had an absolutely awful night. I've had an extremely stressful and tiring past few weeks and I was really looking forward to today, as I had nothing to do and the clocks went back, meaning I had all the time in the world to sleep in and just relax. Then my body decided to go NO LOL SICK, resulting in a restless night and feeling like utter shit when I rolled out of bed. Curse you body, I just want to get back to normal...

On the plus side, later today I'm going to an animal shelter to see about adopting a pet, whee.

My morning was weird: it's Sunday morning, and we all decided to sleep in and then watch dr who in our pjs, and we were too lazy to unload the dishwasher, so we had no knifes to use for toast......soooo....we casually used a machete instead, and everything was fine, until we saw a little car start driving up the hill to the house.....
It was church people coming to visit, and as they were going up the hill, the house was chaos as we decided who would answer the door etc
Dad: I can't answer the door with a jam covered machete!!!
Mum: my hair is terrible! I'm going to the bathroom!
Sister1: zzzzzzz (she sleeps in til 1pm)
Sister2: *is miles away at a sleepover*
Me: But I'm in pajamas! And I'm not wearing a bra!!
Dad: *resolutely, holding giant knife* ok looks like it's me then.

We actually got blacklisted by the Jehovah's witnesses for years. Apparently when I was a baby two of them turned up on our doorstep and refused to leave. When one put his foot over the threshold my mother went Mama Bear on their asses. They didn't call on us again for nearly 20 years ;D

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #799 on: October 26, 2014, 08:40:50 AM »
We actually got blacklisted by the Jehovah's witnesses for years. Apparently when I was a baby two of them turned up on our doorstep and refused to leave. When one put his foot over the threshold my mother went Mama Bear on their asses. They didn't call on us again for nearly 20 years ;D

Heh. We got Jehovah's witnesses on the door one time, and they were pretty nice. Usually I dislike talking to misionaries, but I was actually so impressed and suprised they even found our house I didn't have the time to get annoyed.

On another point, instead of sleeping today I wrote One Piece fanfiction.
It's one of the best things I've written.
It's about snails.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #800 on: October 26, 2014, 08:58:45 AM »
Urgh, I've had an absolutely awful night. I've had an extremely stressful and tiring past few weeks and I was really looking forward to today, as I had nothing to do and the clocks went back, meaning I had all the time in the world to sleep in and just relax. Then my body decided to go NO LOL SICK, resulting in a restless night and feeling like utter **** when I rolled out of bed. Curse you body, I just want to get back to normal...

On the plus side, later today I'm going to an animal shelter to see about adopting a pet, whee.

Oh no! Everyone in the n.hemisphere seems to be getting winter-transition colds! :( Hope you recover quickly Raya!

A pet!! And pet hugging! The best cold-medicine. Yes. *nods*

Your mum sounds fierce! Mama Bear is a great descriptor!

We haven't had any J.W visitors since.......since mum displayed my 1st year art project in the window next to the front door. It's three little clay (from the creek) sculptures of cross legged peeps with antlers, hole eyes and bizarre arm positions. One is dripping with pink glitter, the other black tar-like goo, and the middle one is plain, with a ruby-gem eye. (In the original piece, they were each perched on a clump of grassy soil, mounted on scientific tripods)
I called the piece the (Un)Holy Trinity, (such waffle! I really just wanted to make clay things but the religious slant sounded more 'artsy') and it got top grades at Uni....I guess the J.W just can't appreciate fine art ;) hehehe....
Weirdly though, the wrens are obsessed with them, and sit/fly at them from the other side of the window O___O I'm a little scared to throw them away, in case they come back and haunt me. Maybe I needed a Mama Bear instead of spooky idols.....

If it makes you feel any better about sleep n stuff, I've been up all night writing an essay, then printing it into a book that I made and bound, and my printer prints crooked ;___; John Baskerville would be rolling in his grave, poor bloke. Apparently it took nearly 120 years for him to be buried properly, after being looted and opened and stored in a shop and smuggled into a crypt... Eeeeek.
But the teacher said No Bibliographies, Just Hand In Your Research (?) so I've spent quite a while photocopying all the pages of a large book that I used. Happy reading, Miss K.  8)
Man, I hope she doesn't teach third year....I don't want to face her after horrendously trolling her like this!!!

Heh. We got Jehovah's witnesses on the door one time, and they were pretty nice. Usually I dislike talking to misionaries, but I was actually so impressed and suprised they even found our house I didn't have the time to get annoyed.

On another point, instead of sleeping today I wrote One Piece fanfiction.
It's one of the best things I've written.
It's about snails.
They're usually pretty nice, but they always turn up when I'm in my pajamas, then either A. Insist on coming inside, or B. Awkwardly stare at my...t-shirt >:/ hmmm but that's basically describing all early visitors really u___u

SNAILS. MY GOSH.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 09:16:37 AM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #801 on: October 26, 2014, 09:57:21 AM »
SNAILS. MY GOSH.

Transponder snails to be exact. 2000 words about fictional telepathic snails. What am I doing with my life?
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #802 on: October 26, 2014, 10:37:59 AM »
Transponder snails to be exact. 2000 words about fictional telepathic snails. What am I doing with my life?
The right thing.. I hope it was at least compelling (and that your sleep adled mind kept its writing ability ;)). 

We've never had Jehovah's witnesses over here, thankfully.  I feel kind of bad about all the crap that they get but, at the same time, I have no patience for that sort of thing.  They show up at my door, I'm shutting it in their face.

Hope you feel better Raya.  I got one of those a few days ago.
Owl is right, Cat/Dog therapy is a great way to treat the symptoms.
Feel free to PM.

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #803 on: October 26, 2014, 11:12:14 AM »
You meant shining, then. It's alright, no need to apologize.
Don't you get it? Apologizing is my thing! (Thanks, though. I really have no spelling skills whatsoever.) I just looked up "shinning".... The knight in climbing armor. That's kind of freaky and I'm wondering how armor is accomplishing such a feat.

What? That sounds like so much fun!
In our middle school they have this project that all the eighth graders do. I wrote a mystery taking place in a campground where objects were getting stolen. (This, by the way, is the most recent piece of writing besides a poem or an essay that I've actually finished.) My sister  is writing - I think - about a convenience store in the ocean that a shark terrorizes before Winkle the tiny, female fish beats up the shark.

victrixia

« Reply #804 on: October 26, 2014, 12:50:46 PM »
I think it's only funny to anyone who speaks Finnic languages.

We have this meme in Finland, which is apparently also a thing in Estonia, that if Finland is mentioned in an international context, everybody goes "FINLAND MENTIONED, SEE YOU ON THE MARKET SQUARE" which is what happens when Finland wins the Ice Hockey world championship (twice, now) or the Eurovision Song Contest (once).

OP sees Estonian is a surviving language, Estonian mentioned -> international fame hurrah!

Might have worked better with some explanation or a less generic topic name, though. ;)

Edit. Yay! I helped? :D
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 01:28:40 PM by victrixia »

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #805 on: October 26, 2014, 01:23:17 PM »

We have this meme in Finland, which is apparently also a thing in Estonia, that if Finland is mentioned in an international context, everybody goes "FINLAND MENTIONED, SEE YOU ON THE MARKET SQUARE" which is what happens when Finland wins the Ice Hockey world championship (twice, now) or the Eurovision Song Contest (once).

OP sees Estonian is a surviving language, Estonian mentioned -> international fame hurrah!

Might have worked better with some explanation or a less generic topic name, though. ;)

Thank you for the explanation! The context was really helpful and I do see why it's funny now. :)

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #806 on: October 26, 2014, 01:46:17 PM »

Edit. Yay! I helped? :D

Haa, now that I understand it it's actually funny! But still, couldn't w name the thread something other than "Hello" and merge it in General Discussion or Fanart thread?
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #807 on: October 26, 2014, 02:29:38 PM »
In our middle school they have this project that all the eighth graders do. I wrote a mystery taking place in a campground where objects were getting stolen. (This, by the way, is the most recent piece of writing besides a poem or an essay that I've actually finished.) My sister  is writing - I think - about a convenience store in the ocean that a shark terrorizes before Winkle the tiny, female fish beats up the shark.

I'd like to get a look at that as well as on ThisCats' 2000 word story. My older boys are fourth to fifth grade now and the smaller ones are second to third graders. Not much of a writing contest to set up so far. Though my two autistic boys would succeed, I think. Either of them is great in setting up komplex storyplotts and using catchy phrases which make you want to read further. Sadly one of them mostly turns his stories to real sadistically blood involving stories. The younglings alway draw nice picture stories though.

Weekend is nearly done.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #808 on: October 26, 2014, 02:44:08 PM »

I googled it, and it turns out you weren't kidding.

We used to get religious visitors every once in a while (not the fire and brimstone kind thankfully), but I haven't seen any in years now that I think about it. Possibly because our doorbell is broken.

Reminds me ... Aaah yes, my evil master plan has come to fruition: Halloween will be a rainy day. More candy for me.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #809 on: October 26, 2014, 02:55:48 PM »
if Finland is mentioned in an international context, everybody goes "FINLAND MENTIONED, SEE YOU ON THE MARKET SQUARE" which is what happens when Finland wins the Ice Hockey world championship (twice, now) or the Eurovision Song Contest (once).
... I'll make a point of saying "at least it's not raining cats and dogs here, unlike right now in Finland" whenever applicable. >:D
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15