Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387274 times)

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #8865 on: July 31, 2015, 06:42:57 PM »
Norway is a strange place. I was just reading the news while eating dinner (yes, I'm one of those weirdos who reads the newspaper) and this made the news here.

Wow, the profanity filter even mucked up your link text. :D
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #8866 on: July 31, 2015, 06:47:06 PM »
Wow, the profanity filter even mucked up your link text. :D

Oh woops *blushes* I was having a hard time finding a cleaner article. Although the one in the newspaper had no swearwords. Maybe I should have just taken a picture of it. Sorry.

Edit: How come it didn't work on Fimby?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 06:48:47 PM by Feartheviolas »
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Daéa Reina

• Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #8867 on: July 31, 2015, 11:21:34 PM »
I just wanted to say that I've been feeling so incredibly lazy and kinda tired of everything these last few days that I don't feel like posting at all. But I keep on checking the threads everyday, and lurking and stuff.

And, that's it? I just wanted to say "hi".

And that non-metric system scares me.

native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #8868 on: July 31, 2015, 11:25:14 PM »
And, that's it? I just wanted to say "hi".

And that non-metric system scares me.
Don't worry hon, it scares me too, and I have to live with it  :'(
:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat:

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8869 on: August 01, 2015, 12:09:42 AM »
I have drawing and scribbles that I'm keeping under wraps for the time being, which means I don't have stuff to post to Tumblr. So instead of going to bed (LIKE I SHOULD BECAUSE I'M EXHAUSTED) I do some Dood Leordie so I have something, anything, to post to Tumblr.
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #8870 on: August 01, 2015, 01:56:08 AM »
Sorry this is completely unrelated to the current discussion, but I saw this and totally thought of RTR :)

YES!
(Although y'all can also refer to groups of more than two. The actual distinction, which is fairly unclear in this illustration, is that 'all'y'all' refers to every single person in the group. For an example of how this works: "Are y'all going to the movie?" Bubba and Billie Jo are but Mary Lou is staying home. Therefore the answer you receive is yes. "Are all'y'all going to the movie?" Since Mary Lou is not going, the answer is no.)
randomtexanreader: i would watch the video but i'm in haiti and stuff so
yeah

but i've wanted to be a writer since fOREVER, in second grade, diary of a wimpy kid was all the rage, and i tried making my own. i found a notebook from forth grade with fanfiction (even though i didnt know it was called that at the time) for a game i was playing. last year, due to *wincing intensifies in volume* hetalia, i tried writing actual fanfiction. it didn't go well, and i actually ripped it out of my notebook and set it on fire.
and then i joined this fandom and started actually doing stuff.

like. stuff. i can't put it into words but you know the feel.

the 4000+ words i have written total? thats an achievement. that's a really big achievement for me.

i guess part of is that i'm writing something and it turned out like 20 pages long, and sTILL NOT FINISHED and then i had to cross out like 5 whole pages because they didn't really make sense and now i have no motivation whatsoever

art was always something i wanted to do, but not the thing i wanted to do, basically. thats the summary of my whole relationship with art.
Sorry: Here's the text.
“Nobody tells this to people who are beginners, I wish someone told me. All of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But there is this gap. For the first couple years you make stuff, it’s just not that good. It’s trying to be good, it has potential, but it’s not. But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is why your work disappoints you. A lot of people never get past this phase, they quit. Most people I know who do interesting, creative work went through years of this. We know our work doesn’t have this special thing that we want it to have. We all go through this. And if you are just starting out or you are still in this phase, you gotta know its normal and the most important thing you can do is do a lot of work. Put yourself on a deadline so that every week you will finish one story. It is only by going through a volume of work that you will close that gap, and your work will be as good as your ambitions. And I took longer to figure out how to do this than anyone I’ve ever met. It’s gonna take awhile. It’s normal to take awhile. You’ve just gotta fight your way through.” - Ira Glass

Also side note: if any of y'all ever need blood work done, take the whole day off. Just do it. I tried working after they took 20 (!) vials of blood, and no. Don't even try. I had to clock out after two hours and sleep for four. I felt like something had chewed me up and spat me out again. Learn from my mistakes. Don't go into work after a blood test. Drink water, eat sugars, and take a nap instead.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 02:02:37 AM by RandomTexanReader »
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #8871 on: August 01, 2015, 04:49:43 AM »
ok wow this thread grew several pages with some really cool things I've only had the chance to skim through... Lenny, your murals look amazing

anyway here's some random blab

1) look at this abomination of a cheese slicer. it's adjustable. this is not the Viking Way

2) I feel I may have posted a pic of the Door Deer in the past but I painted this for my friend's 18th birthday two years ago:

the door used to be full of my drawings before this, too, some really old drawings. lots of dragons and unicorns and birds and elves. the haiz gallery. tbh it's a relief to have it replaced ahaha ha

3) I'll be going to the festival on my own, whoop. trying to figure out how to bus there, and moe importantly, back.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 04:52:53 AM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #8872 on: August 01, 2015, 06:20:40 AM »
Haiz: first of all, that Door Deer is beautiful! Secondly... adjustable cheese slicers, what is this sorcery? Reminds me of my friend's Bulgarian father telling a story of how he visited Finland for the first time and found out to his and his friends' great amusement how thinly cheese was sliced there. Jokes about seeing right through the slices were made.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #8873 on: August 01, 2015, 09:12:01 AM »
2) I feel I may have posted a pic of the Door Deer in the past but I painted this for my friend's 18th birthday two years ago:

the door used to be full of my drawings before this, too, some really old drawings. lots of dragons and unicorns and birds and elves. the haiz gallery. tbh it's a relief to have it replaced ahaha ha

Oohhhh will you come paint my room too?

on cheese cutters

Have fun at the festival!
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Daéa Reina

• Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #8874 on: August 01, 2015, 11:25:56 AM »
RTR: That reminds me of my father... One day he took some blood and didn't eat anything afterwards and decided to go home by bus (which involved a considerable amount of walking). He almost fainted on the bus stop. I think he called for someone to pick him over.
So, moral of the story, if you had your blood taken, don't try to be a hero and do everything normally as if nothing happened. ;)

Haiz: That is such a beautiful deer!! As soon as you finish painting Viola's room, please paint mine too?

native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Mélusine

« Reply #8875 on: August 01, 2015, 04:46:19 PM »

I love your deer :) (Actually I may love this kind of deer since Princess Mononoke...)
And I hope you'll enjoy the festival !
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #8876 on: August 01, 2015, 06:25:26 PM »
glad you like the door deer! I'd do them as commissions, but sending 2 m long canvases by mail may be pretty expensive... as for this one, it was a gift to a lifelong friend whose family has partially adopted me and also let me use their entire living room to make this thing. heh.

ANYWAY i'm back from the Lughnasad festival, and it was quite the adventure! First time going there alone, so I was a bit worried about taking the bus there and back.

one of the first thing that happened when I got there was practically bumping into some family friends. or a friend family. I'm not sure. It's a family we hang out with at new year's. The kids, who are older than me, have been to Norway before, and I think we've shared some adventures such as sailing a ship to Sheep Island, and spending the night inside a lavvo (sami style tent) in our garden (we had sleeping bag boxing fights and rolled out of the tent several times), so I recognize them pretty easily. They didn't recognize me without my technicolor hair. amazing. Either way that was!! really cool!! I didn't have to be alone!! even if they didn't have space in their car for the way back ha ha

OK SO the celtic lughnasad festival. is attended by this glorious mass of tie-dye hippies, metalheads, people in kilts, people in the type of clothes you see on fantasy book covers, people with amazing braids, probably some actual forest nymphs, and I saw a guy with blue pict-ish swirls in his face. he also had boar tusks on a string around his neck and a very very fake-looking wolf pelt on his head. love it. I went in my green woodnymph skirt, a green hippie-ish tunic thing, and a flowercrown for the ultimate elfy effect. The family friend people said I reminded them of the fairy Amalka, one of my favourite childhood cartoons. best compliment I received today.

I took some pics, but seeing as they aren't very impressive, I'll just post them here and not in the pictures thread
Spoiler: show

a lot of stands and vendors!! selling jewellery, mostly, but also wooden spoons and blacksmith stuff and tie-dye things and TRDELNIKY. these ones were so much better than in prague because they were so freshly baked and aaaa. I got a cocoa one and it's the first time I've eaten a whole trdelnik in one go

castle veveri is one of the less impressive castles, honestly. admission to the castle is only 20 crowns. that's less than a euro. (admission to the festival, however...)

concert area!! it's inside some walls, and it's possible to get up on the walls. especially good for watching fireshows later in the night. the area in front of the stage is for dancing. my dream is to one summer go to this festival with someone who wants to dance with me.

this is my beautiful celtic dragon pendant which I wear every year. I think I've had it since I was seven or something.

I just. love celtic music so much. there is some kinds of music that I feel in my head, some in my limbs, some fill my lungs, but celtic music is the kind that i feel in my heart. I love hearing new versions of my favourite songs like Suil A Ruin, Star of the County Down, Jument de Michao... and I particularly love Asonance so much and I love hearing them every year and knowing the words for more songs than before and singing along, I love hearing their new songs and their old songs and I love shouting "IT'S ME" when they announce they're gonna play The Vikings Arrive (y'know, except for the slaughtering irish monks part) and my summer just isn't made until they play The Witch of Amesbury at the end.

as for the way back...... I think I hitchhiked? I morosely followed my friends when they were going to the car even when I knew I wouldn't fit, but then they got the bright idea of asking some strangers on their way home, too, if they couldn't take me somewhere. so I wouldn't have to spend over an hour swtiching buses and stuff. in a dark city. ha. ha. ANYWAY this kind couple with a tiny baby were actually driving rly close to my friend's place and drove me!!! it was such a relief. And of course, the first thing they asked me was where I was from, since I'd said I don't know Brno very well... I don't think I'll ever tire of answering "norway" in perfect fluent czech to that.

ok wow long boring post, sorry for hogging the thread yet again. good night!
you'll know where to find me.

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #8877 on: August 01, 2015, 09:26:11 PM »
Hey all! Just a heads up that I won't really be on tomorrow, I'm going to be at a con (Tampa Bay Comic Con, to be specific B^) ) as Raven Arrow from Ava's Demon!! I'm really excited, because although I've done that cosplay before to a con with my Odin (pictures under a spoiler because I can), this is the first time my Crow will be there (freddiethefantastic :D) and we're going to be the full Arrow sibling squad!! I'm just so excited ok

Freddie and me!!

Spoiler: show

Me being super duper in-character

Still being super duper in-character with my Odin, who is deeeefinitely not three inches shorter than me when we're in cosplay, noooo

Outfit shot (alas, I didn't sew the dress D: My friend was supposed to be making it for me as a birthday present but did not end up doing so due to a miscommunication, and we ended up doing a last-minute search the day before at the con. It was a lucky break that we found something that worked this well :0 ) I also bought a couple bat-related accessories because I'm a sucker for spooky kei, ehehehehe

I'll post pictures to the cosplay thread when I get them, but since I'm super cool and these are only trash quality selfies, it shall wait until I get some good ones ;) see you all then!
YEET

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #8878 on: August 01, 2015, 09:37:15 PM »
Woah Curry you look amazing!!! I love your dress!! And just your whole outfit wow!

Silent Fox

• Scout
  • Speaks little, writes a lot
« Reply #8879 on: August 01, 2015, 11:32:48 PM »
It looks like my local German butcher/restaurant has inexplicably gone out of business. T_T And the nearest butcher appears to be three hours away in Atlanta. T_T We do have a "biergarten", but I'll have to see if it's any good, and I'm sure they don't sell to-go. No more sausages for me at work. T_T Waah! I wanna move back to Euuurroopeeee!
Native: :germany:
Getting fluent after 10 years: :usa:

:chap7: :chap8: