Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387330 times)

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #8850 on: July 31, 2015, 05:06:32 PM »
Is that a U.S.-style "speed limit 55 mph" sign I've seen towards the beginning?
* JoB still has to drive 2h back home this evening with a cruise speed of 100 mph, wherever permitted
Yup, looks like it. Except it would be kph, since it's Canada, and us American kiddos are the only ones to use all that "miles" nonsense  ::) The Autobahn is something so magical and mysterious to us Americans. The idea of being able to drive however fast you want is something that is so freeing, but terrifying. Having driven with Germans on their roadways, I can safely say I trust them behind the wheel of a car hurtling down the speed at over 100mph WAY more than us dumb Americans. (Seriously, people here SUCK at driving. Us Californians especially: we love our cars, but everyone can be very rude and aggressive drivers who don't know WORTH SHIT how to share the road safely)

Sorry, rant over
:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat:

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8851 on: July 31, 2015, 05:10:44 PM »
Yup, looks like it. Except it would be kph, since it's Canada, and us American kiddos are the only ones to use all that "miles" nonsense  ::) The Autobahn is something so magical and mysterious to us Americans. The idea of being able to drive however fast you want is something that is so freeing, but terrifying. Having driven with Germans on their roadways, I can safely say I trust them behind the wheel of a car hurtling down the speed at over 100mph WAY more than us dumb Americans. (Seriously, people here SUCK at driving. Us Californians especially: we love our cars, but everyone can be very rude and aggressive drivers who don't know WORTH s*** how to share the road safely)

Sorry, rant over

Trinka beat me to the Autobahn thing, so I'll just have to second it. But yes, we Americans would likely kill ourselves if there were no speed limit. And California may have bad drivers, but the northeast US does, too. New Jersey may have the bad reputation for it, but it's everywhere. You cannot escape.
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #8852 on: July 31, 2015, 05:11:13 PM »
Sorry this is completely unrelated to the current discussion, but I saw this and totally thought of RTR :)

everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #8853 on: July 31, 2015, 05:15:25 PM »
You guys are forgetting, Canada is REALLY BIG okay.

What I want to know though is why there's a place in Canada called Moose Factory. Like, seriously?

Yup, looks like it. Except it would be kph, since it's Canada, and us American kiddos are the only ones to use all that "miles" nonsense  ::)

the Brits use miles actually. They like to feel special.

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #8854 on: July 31, 2015, 05:18:18 PM »
the Brits use miles actually. They like to feel special.

In canada we use feet and inches to do our height and pounds to do our weight, but only with people. Food and stuff are measured in metric.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #8855 on: July 31, 2015, 05:21:29 PM »
Sorry this is completely unrelated to the current discussion, but I saw this and totally thought of RTR :)

Well shoot, I reckon that thar is one mighty fine lookin infograph.
Yeehaw!
:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat:

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
« Reply #8856 on: July 31, 2015, 05:33:09 PM »
I'm gonna share my East coast US forest here:

(This is across from our house.)

Also, we get deer in our yard:
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Oh Deer

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • I live!! but no joke, it's good to be back :D
« Reply #8857 on: July 31, 2015, 05:36:07 PM »

Well shoot, I reckon that thar is one mighty fine lookin infograph.
Yeehaw!
wow way too much Texas
I live in Texas, people actually talk like that      :P
Also "le gasp" deer!
"Nerds + time = siege engines, it's a well-known fact."- Noodly Appendage
:chap6:, :chap7: :chap8:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #8858 on: July 31, 2015, 05:43:20 PM »
Yup, looks like it. Except it would be kph, since it's Canada, and us American kiddos are the only ones to use all that "miles" nonsense  ::)
You mean that Canadian highways have 55 km/h limits while most of Europe allows 50 km/h in residential areas!? :o

[Is suddenly a lot less convinced that Canada is actually as large as it is perceived to be]
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #8859 on: July 31, 2015, 05:44:57 PM »
In canada we use feet and inches to do our height and pounds to do our weight, but only with people. Food and stuff are measured in metric.
THIS.
Whenever I go back up there to visit family, my whole measurement system gets all catywompus. It's hard to keep track of when to use what, and the proper  conversion.

Plus, my use of temperature is WEIRD because of how I've grown up. Hot temperatures are in Farenheit, and when it's colder, I register it in Celsius.

ie: Because I live in California, it's generally always warm. So everyone talks about temperatures that are 50°F or hotter, all the time. But whenever anyone mentions colder temperatures, it's always my Canadian relatives, who talk about temperatures of 20°C or lower.
 So if someone says,
"It's 40°C outside, it's so hot!",
or
 "The weather forecast says it'll be 32°F tomorrow, it might snow!"
I have NO IDEA WAT THAT EVEN MEANS.
 Is 40°C hot? 0°C is freezing, so how much hotter is 40°?!? Canada does not know what 40°C temperature feels like, I don't know what to compare that to. And I'm from So Cal, WHAT EVEN IS SNOW?!

So, that was a weird little look into the way my head works, hope you are all as confused as I am  :P
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 05:50:13 PM by Trinka »

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #8860 on: July 31, 2015, 05:54:55 PM »
You mean that Canadian highways have 55 km/h limits while most of Europe allows 50 km/h in residential areas!? :o

[Is suddenly a lot less convinced that Canada is actually as large as it is perceived to be]

No, I'm pretty sure Trinka just meant that the signs would be in kph, not mph. According to your source there, the speed limits get as high as 120 kph. And just in case you still think Canada isn't that big...

Here's most of Europe superimposed on just the arctic territories of Canada. It's a big place.
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #8861 on: July 31, 2015, 06:00:21 PM »
What I want to know though is why there's a place in Canada called Moose Factory. Like, seriously?
We also have a place called Moose Jaw, Spread-Eagle, Dildo, and Vulcan.

Not even joking here, look it up.

Oh, and in the US there's a place called Possum Trot, Alabama. Not quite as strange, but it's one of my favorites  ;D

And TOTALLY unrelated, bit still referring to Canada: my grandpa told me that the Canadian government has stockpiled enough maple syrup in warehouses to support the whole country's needs for 5 years if a tragedy were to happen and all the maple trees were wiped out. So to my fellow Canadians: have you heard anything about this, or is this a myth?

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #8862 on: July 31, 2015, 06:03:50 PM »
And TOTALLY unrelated, bit still referring to Canada: my grandpa told me that the Canadian government has stockpiled enough maple syrup in warehouses to support the whole country's needs for 5 years if a tragedy were to happen and all the maple trees were wiped out. So to my fellow Canadians: have you heard anything about this, or is this a myth?

I dunno how true that is, but my uncle has enough maple syrup to last several years. Maybe he's in on this stockpiling plan?

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #8863 on: July 31, 2015, 06:09:17 PM »
We also have a place called Moose Jaw, Spread-Eagle, Dildo, and Vulcan.

Ah, yes, we have those types of place names too. Most of them are too suggestive to even post. Less extreme examples include Rompeskogen (ass forest), Dritarsteinane (the defecator stones and Tissvassklumptjønn ("urine" water lump tarn).

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #8864 on: July 31, 2015, 06:14:41 PM »
Ah, yes, we have those types of place names too. Most of them are too suggestive to even post. Less extreme examples include Rompeskogen (ass forest), Dritarsteinane (the defecator stones and Tissvassklumptjønn ("urine" water lump tarn).

Norway is a strange place. I was just reading the news while eating dinner (yes, I'm one of those weirdos who reads the newspaper) and this made the news here.