Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387779 times)

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #8745 on: July 29, 2015, 02:35:15 PM »
it's ... not as hot here as it is there, but still fairly hot.
In other news, I'll be gone for the weekend starting to-morrow. We're going camping in the rainforest! \o/
(no not the sticky, jungly kind, the chilly, misty, mossy kind. Except it's supposed to actually be pretty warm, so that'll be weird.)
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #8746 on: July 29, 2015, 03:14:38 PM »
Interrupting the weather discussion for an important announcement: today's dinner is gyoza. I love them so much they're worth all the trouble it takes to make them, and because of certain mildly traumatic food-related events during Närcon I need enough-food-delicious-food therapy. :P I'm writing a con report that'll explain the food issue a bit further, but the main problem was that we didn't have enough food and the little we got was rather... bad. I've been eating like no tomorrow ever since.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #8747 on: July 29, 2015, 03:29:46 PM »
The ultimate visualize-weather-link:
http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/anim=off/overlay=temp/winkel3

And Laufey, I had never heard of gyoza before, but after googling them I admit they look delicious! Well deserved, I'd say.

*EDIT*Oh oh oh the ultimate display the weather-link even have a MISERY INDEX OVERLAY! IT IS MOST BEST!
http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/overlay=misery_index/winkel3
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 03:37:15 PM by Unlos »

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8748 on: July 29, 2015, 03:35:46 PM »
http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/anim=off/overlay=temp/winkel3

And Laufey, I had never heard of gyoza before, but after googling them I admit they look delicious! Well deserved, I'd say.

They are delicious!!! I've never made them by hand though. o_o

Dang it. Now I want gyoza. And nikuman. *shakes fist at Laufey*
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #8749 on: July 29, 2015, 03:40:48 PM »

*EDIT*Oh oh oh the ultimate display the weather-link even have a MISERY INDEX OVERLAY! IT IS MOST BEST!
http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/overlay=misery_index/winkel3

YES THIS THING. I love the Misery Index, that's such an awesome name... Also I use this thing all the time to figure out weather patterns, it's truly most best.

Also, gyoza. Wonderful. Never had homemade ones, sadly, I'll have to change that someday...
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #8750 on: July 29, 2015, 03:48:04 PM »

Where I am is red where I was is blue. Whyyyyyy

Interrupting the weather discussion for an important announcement: today's dinner is gyoza.

I may have developed a small addiction to these while I was in Japan... ::)

everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Mélusine

« Reply #8751 on: July 29, 2015, 03:51:43 PM »
I may have developed a small addiction to these while I was in Japan... ::)
I have addresses in Paris for gyozas *Innocent*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Eriaror

• Ilmarinen
  • Scout
  • Intermediate apprentice of webpage wizardry
« Reply #8752 on: July 29, 2015, 03:56:43 PM »
Yay, welcome back!  I'm sorry your holiday had to end, but we love your contributions!
Thanks for the welcome. :)
I'm not sad at all that I'm back, there's still a whole month left from the summer vacation and I cannot really enjoy a holiday only consisting of lying on sunny beaches and eating delicious food for more than 3-4 days anyways.
On top of that, my skin really doesn't fancy being suddenly exposed to too much sunlight. It can tan, but it takes more time and not so strong sunlight (early morning / late afternoon) And I have yet to come across a suncream that doesn't make my skin all itchy and whatnot when combined with salt water / pool water and lots of sun...
So, thank goodness that I had brought a book along to read and that we did some sightseeing as well.

Awesome.
Native :hungary: | Fluent :uk: | Fading :germany:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #8753 on: July 29, 2015, 04:34:32 PM »
Ok. I love you Iceland. But you really really need to find a better way to organize your airport boarding process.

They are all boarding at the same time. There is no line or order or person who calls out the first class people.

Welcome to the Nordic countries, deal with it.

Interrupting the weather discussion for an important announcement: today's dinner is gyoza. I love them so much they're worth all the trouble it takes to make them, and because of certain mildly traumatic food-related events during Närcon I need enough-food-delicious-food therapy. :P I'm writing a con report that'll explain the food issue a bit further, but the main problem was that we didn't have enough food and the little we got was rather... bad. I've been eating like no tomorrow ever since.

Don't you mean nikuman (get it? because.... nevermind).
Con report? Con report!

Ooh! It's a bit strange though, looks like it's missing a whole lot of data from East-Asia. I mean, the contrast between ocean and land can't be that big.

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #8754 on: July 29, 2015, 05:31:50 PM »
On top of that, my skin really doesn't fancy being suddenly exposed to too much sunlight. It can tan, but it takes more time and not so strong sunlight (early morning / late afternoon) And I have yet to come across a suncream that doesn't make my skin all itchy and whatnot when combined with salt water / pool water and lots of sun...

I have really sensitive skin, too, so I share your pain. Aveeno sunscreen is the only stuff I've found that doesn't make me break out in a rash, and it comes in high spf's, so if you haven't tried that brand, I'd suggest it. Then again, I have a friend who can use all sunscreens except Aveeno :I
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #8755 on: July 29, 2015, 05:42:18 PM »
I have really sensitive skin, too, so I share your pain. Aveeno sunscreen is the only stuff I've found that doesn't make me break out in a rash, and it comes in high spf's, so if you haven't tried that brand, I'd suggest it. Then again, I have a friend who can use all sunscreens except Aveeno :I

Psst Ana... remember that crazy time at Disney World? With the sun? And then at band camp? I'm so good at the sun :D
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #8756 on: July 29, 2015, 05:47:02 PM »
Psst Ana... remember that crazy time at Disney World? With the sun? And then at band camp? I'm so good at the sun :D

Oh, yes. This one right here is practically allergic to outdoor activities  :P
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #8757 on: July 29, 2015, 05:58:15 PM »
It's 40°C (104°F) here in Vegas right now. I'm in hell.
If I may quote what Ooo-La-La posted to Disqus today:
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #8758 on: July 29, 2015, 07:37:28 PM »
Don't you mean nikuman (get it? because.... nevermind).
Con report? Con report!

I actually got it immediately! Go team Laufey, for once no one has to explain a joke for me! ;D

Con report is now done and available here. Cosplay photos will eventually follow once I get them all edited, I'll link them to the general cosplay thread.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #8759 on: July 29, 2015, 08:04:51 PM »
I actually got it immediately! Go team Laufey, for once no one has to explain a joke for me! ;D

Con report is now done and available here. Cosplay photos will eventually follow once I get them all edited, I'll link them to the general cosplay thread.
I'm not entirely sure how the NCC is organized/run (like, is it separate from Närcon and just happens to coincide/use the same facilities, or is it part of it?) but I've definitely been to cons before where the sheer volume of people attending was underestimated which lead to huge delays for everyone (being forced to line up prior to entry, even WITH a pass, and then missing a panel because you were 5 minutes late from standing in line? Yeah, not fun). So, I wonder if that was part of it? I agree that you guys probably should've been provided with separate facilities though, since your schedules are so packed
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden: