Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387419 times)

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #7755 on: July 01, 2015, 10:34:33 AM »
See, if they'd put the major settlements anywhere but on that knob of land they'd be fine, mostly. Shows that settling where dead bodies float ashore is not the best strategy.

Wait, wat? Is that... is that a thing? That they did? *eyes Norway and her people*

Then again things could be worse, I mean Katla's been dangerous the whole time people have lived here and that's not stopped anyone from building a new farm to where the previous one was washed away by a glacier flood... and the one before that and the one before that...

Eh, well, that might just be a human thing. People live in tornado alley, where there's quite a good likelihood that a twister will come down and smash your house to matchsticks at some point--and they just rebuild. San Francisco has been utterly smashed by earthquakes but they still rebuild it. New Orleans is in a frikkin' bowl, below sea level, in an area which is prone to seasonal hurricanes and is naturally supposed to flood each year, and they still rebuild that...

On the subject of my kitties:
Spoiler: On second thought, spoiler tagged for the sake of the squeamish. • show
It turns out poor Franky was indeed pregnant as we suspected, and she's currently in the middle of a lengthy, messy, bloody miscarriage. And I have to be at work instead of at home getting blood all over my clothes while comforting her. ;_; (Because I'll be damned if I'll let sqeamishness get in my way when she's in pain and trying to crawl in my lap for love. She will get her love!) We're keeping an eye on her situation for now and hoping she stays stable until Friday when her surgery is, and she seems to be alright, just miserable. We'll be checking in on her again on our lunch breaks today.

(Kinny, bless him, is utterly tone deaf to the situation: he's going back and forth between trying to play with her and trying to crawl into the little cat house--which is currently filled with stained towels and smells strongly enough of blood that my weak little human nose is overpowered by it--with her and lick her clean. He is the sweetest little goof. <3)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 10:48:44 AM by hushpiper »

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #7756 on: July 01, 2015, 10:49:59 AM »
Wait, wat? Is that... is that a thing? That they did? *eyes Norway and her people*

According to saga reference Norwegians typically threw chair boards to the sea and built their home where they drifted ashore, but there's one account in Egils saga of a ship crew chucking their captain's dead father overboard instead, and then building a homestead where he washed up. Norwegians are mysterious.

EDIT: poor Franky indeed, I hope everything goes well for her and that she'll make a quick recovery.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 10:52:58 AM by Laufey »
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #7757 on: July 01, 2015, 10:54:01 AM »
According to saga reference Norwegians typically threw chair boards to the sea and built their home where they drifted ashore, but there's one account in Egils saga of a ship crew chucking their captain's dead father overboard instead, and then building a homestead where he washed up. Norwegians are mysterious.

Yes, I remember we had a conversation about it in this thread back in the days - I just can't find it because the search tool is so horrendous/ you post too darn much for me too go through your post log to find it.

I can recommend Egil's saga to y'all by the way, it's a great testament to the insanity of the Norwegians/Icelanders of old.

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #7758 on: July 01, 2015, 11:07:15 AM »

*blink blinks* That's... I see. Did they give any rationale for this or was it just... something they did? And thanks for the well wishes on Franky's behalf! *stores them all up in a box to give her*

*notes down Egil's saga*
*steeples fingers* I swear, search tool, the moment I find a viable replacement for you... *shark grin*

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #7759 on: July 01, 2015, 11:24:01 AM »
And thanks for the well wishes on Franky's behalf! *stores them all up in a box to give her*
add some from me as well!!
Spoiler: show

relevant

you post too darn much
*squints*

we read Egilsoga at school, but I barely remember anything from it, except Egil axing someone in the head as an... eight year old? and some wife kidnapping or something. If I were in Norway, I'd find all the doodle-comics I made in my notebooks back then...
you'll know where to find me.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #7760 on: July 01, 2015, 11:29:12 AM »
*squints*

*also squints*

we read Egilsoga at school, but I barely remember anything from it, except Egil axing someone in the head as an... eight year old? and some wife kidnapping or something. If I were in Norway, I'd find all the doodle-comics I made in my notebooks back then...

Here you go, short version of Egils saga (warnings for occasional language).

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #7761 on: July 01, 2015, 11:40:47 AM »

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #7762 on: July 01, 2015, 11:42:48 AM »
you'll know where to find me.

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #7763 on: July 01, 2015, 11:47:22 AM »

APPROPRIATE COMIC SCREENSHOT IS APPROPRIATE *squishes*

Here you go, short version of Egils saga (warnings for occasional language).

"So now you know that Icelanders are originated in annoyed Norwegians (and their Celtic slave girls)." HAH

ETA:
Oh hay now Þórólfur has evolved into Finnish-tax-collector! I suppose it's catchy.

Well, Finns like him because he's pretty and because he won't stop killing them if they don't.

Dude knows how to win friends and influence people!

ETA2:
Egill: "Oh hay everyone in the house, I have just set it on fire and none of you can get out lol."
Then he watches people roast for a while, carries on back to the ship and there finds out that the mead casket is actually full of silver and not alcohol. We don't know how he feels about this.

No srs tho this blog is the BEST THING.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 12:33:27 PM by hushpiper »

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #7764 on: July 01, 2015, 12:54:57 PM »
ETA2:
No srs tho this blog is the BEST THING.

Thank you thank you! I do my worst. :D

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #7765 on: July 01, 2015, 01:58:57 PM »
Hi! How is everybody?
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #7766 on: July 01, 2015, 02:00:15 PM »

Wait wait did you write it? How are you so win?

Also lunch break cat update: she is still alive. Can now confirm that one of the kittens is not--we are counting this as a good thing. Cleaned her up slightly, got her fresh towels and made sure she's drinking and breathing and so on. Can't do much besides try to make her marginally more comfortable at the moment, so. *returns to reading norse sagas so as to avoid worrying too much*

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #7767 on: July 01, 2015, 03:17:52 PM »

How can you be so satire? It's like you should've been the one drawing 'Hark, a Vagrant' instead of the girl who draws 'Hark, a Vagrant'.

I went to see Mad Max: Fury Road for the second time. The second time has a special kind of charm.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 03:22:04 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #7768 on: July 01, 2015, 03:30:29 PM »
Wait wait did you write it? How are you so win?
Nnnnononono, sagas are win. I'm just referencing as accurately as I can what's going on in them. Trust me, the grand majority of my tasteless jokes are not by me, they're in the sagas themselves.

How can you be so satire? It's like you should've been the one drawing 'Hark, a Vagrant' instead of the girl who draws 'Hark, a Vagrant'.

I went to see Mad Max: Fury Road for the second time. The second time has a special kind of charm.

I'm a huge fangirl of Hark, a Vagrant so now I'm really, really flattered. I couldn't take that throne though, not before I level up a few times...

HMMM I wonder if it isn't time for me to see it again too, I mean it's been at least a day since I saw it. Definitely a movie theatre experience -movie, I mean it's a great movie and probably still great on a smaller screen but... still.

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #7769 on: July 01, 2015, 03:43:35 PM »
Nnnnononono, sagas are win. I'm just referencing as accurately as I can what's going on in them. Trust me, the grand majority of my tasteless jokes are not by me, they're in the sagas themselves.

See I've been quoting them at Wyrd all day and he asked whether you were making up the jokes or what, so thank you for preempting my question.

Also, Egill being so sad his trousers explode. Wat. Wat is this, exactly, I require context!