Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387488 times)

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #585 on: October 19, 2014, 05:27:24 AM »
Uh, well. I started binge reading SSSS on the 23rd of November and joined the forum shortly thereafter. I've never participated in the disqus comments before that. So, I guess you could say that I'm very much a greenhorn (or "wide-eyed newbie" as you call it) in this community. As for aRTD I haven't found the time to read it yet but I will.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 05:40:21 AM by Fimbulvarg »

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #586 on: October 19, 2014, 05:45:15 AM »
I was drawn in by the amazing art, yes, but mainly by the characters. Hannu with his grumpiness, Ville being the cutest doggie ever, Puppy Fox... Well, Puppy Fox is Puppy Fox. What I really loved were all the little things (like section Ö, Astrid and Ville, the buns, Bear's diary...), but still, I didn't find the story THAT great.

Hannu is great, and I know many people who dislike contacting other human beings just like him :D

Puppy fox reamains me a lot of some of my students though many haven't reached their teens yet. I somewhat liked Puppyfox but would have liked to know more about him.

But as story time is over: Sun is Shining and I'm still working on some stupid paper about which skills you need on getting a true understanding of adding numbers up to the range of 1000. One would never think so but a lot of research has been done on that topic.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #587 on: October 19, 2014, 07:11:21 AM »
Uh, well. I started binge reading SSSS on the 23rd of November and joined the forum shortly thereafter. I've never participated in the disqus comments before that. So, I guess you could say that I'm very much a greenhorn (or "wide-eyed newbie" as you call it) in this community. As for aRTD I haven't found the time to read it yet but I will.

November? But SSSS started out in November, and now it's been less than a year!

I just can't think of you as a wide-eyed newbie. You're now of the veterans, Fimbulvarg! Everyone knows you!
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #588 on: October 19, 2014, 07:25:35 AM »
November? But SSSS started out in November, and now it's been less than a year!

I just can't think of you as a wide-eyed newbie. You're now of the veterans, Fimbulvarg! Everyone knows you!

Darn, I meant August! This August, two months ago. I think I dread the coming of November so much it's starting to seep into my sub-consciousness.

And thanks, I do aspire to be a person with a reputation. Whether it is ill or good repute is not so important.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #589 on: October 19, 2014, 07:48:59 AM »
Darn, I meant August! This August, two months ago. I think I dread the coming of November so much it's starting to seep into my sub-consciousness.

And thanks, I do aspire to be a person with a reputation. Whether it is ill or good repute is not so important.

In my imagination, that ship is now where you live. X'D crew and everything. Whether or not the infamous Capt'n Fimbulvarg spends their free time blasting the Can Can through the high tech stereo system (everyone has done this at some point in their lives, hehe) is a mystery ;P
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #590 on: October 19, 2014, 09:06:18 AM »
Awww, to me you're as key an ingredient of our Forum's tasty flavor-combo as anyone else on this thread!  (So what would that make you -- the cumin?  Lemongrass?  Garam masala?  The rum in the Planter's Punch?)
[...]
Feel a bit less twitchy now, I hope?   :D
Thank you, Sunflower, I do feel less twitchy now. :) And I'm amused with all the food ingredients comparisons - I'll be a nice sea salt.  ;D

I didn't like the Ending of aRTD (Though I haven't my copy of the book yet).
Hannu is great, and I know many people who dislike contacting other human beings just like him :D
Kex, what don't you like about the ending of aRTD?

Personally, I feel that Hannu is a very believable character, and definitely not a psychopath. He's not a nice person a lot of the time, and definitely a bit of a callous jerk, but he really doesn't fulfill Hare's criteria for psychopathy (not glib, not charming, doesn't enjoy hurting others, doesn't want to manipulate people other than getting them to leave him alone, etc). Plus, he reminds me a lot of my high school self, when I didn't fit in and was kind of feared and shunned. I don't think I actually DID anything other than slam a book onto a desk in a few different instances when the classroom was particularly noisy, but it was a relief to not have to play nice with people whom I knew I would never be able to get along with.

Edit: Unrelated to all that, I am now reading up on lucid dreaming.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 09:13:29 AM by potatobunny »

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #591 on: October 19, 2014, 09:12:52 AM »
Is storytime over, or can I tell mine? Oh, well. I'll just tell it anyway.

[enthusiastic rant]
I've been reading webcomics for years. Before that it was manga on the net, but that's not important. And I found that one of the best ways to find new things was to go through that list all webcomics have of other webcomics they like, and that's how I found aRTD. I think it was halfway through the moose chapter by then. And it just, it hit me. It was perfect. It was litterally everything I didn't know I wanted. The mood and the pacing and the humor and the art and everything, it was just awesome. I loved it. It is actually impossible to express my love for that comic only through text. And then I started reading the comments as well and realized that this was one of the few places on the internet where people were just generally nice and pleasant, you know? I don't remember exactly, but I think this was thing I left a comment on at all and it's been great.
I like SSSS as much as I liked aRTD because even though they're very different types of story, they have the same kind of mood. That kind of writing that makes you happy just reading it (and I'm a sucker for good art). Basically, I love this, I love you and you really mean a lot more to me than a group of people I've never met probably should.
[/enthusiastic rant]

I almost wrote "writhing" instead of "writing". That is not the same thing.

Personally, I feel that Hannu is a very believable character, and definitely not a psychopath. He's not a nice person a lot of the time, and definitely a bit of a callous jerk, but he really doesn't fulfill Hare's criteria for psychopathy (not glib, not charming, doesn't enjoy hurting others, doesn't want to manipulate people other than getting them to leave him alone, etc). Plus, he reminds me a lot of my high school self, when I didn't fit in and was kind of feared and shunned. I don't think I actually DID anything other than slam a book onto a desk in a few different instances when the classroom was particularly noisy, but it was a relief to not have to play nice with people whom I knew I would never be able to get along with.

I'd say he has certain sociopathic tendencies, but no, not a psychopath.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #592 on: October 19, 2014, 09:21:02 AM »

There certainly isn't much writhing in aRTD.  ;D Edit: Just noticed you meant SSSS. Pretty sure the trolls/giants/beasts would writhe, but that wouldn't be enjoyable writhing.

As to psychopathy vs sociopathy, I can't really comment because to me, they aren't "real" diagnoses in the way ASPD is. But as to "tendencies" vs full-blown whatever, yes, I agree with you.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 09:25:29 AM by potatobunny »

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #593 on: October 19, 2014, 09:23:29 AM »
Kex, what don't you like about the ending of aRTD?
It annoyed me that Ville is human now. Also I would have liked more background information about puppy fox and the other animals as well as the dreamflow the birds are following. There is this really interesting mystical world outside and Ville ends up to be an ordinary human being. But I think I'm a little picky if it coms to storytelling. Though I dislike the ending I'm quiet happy that I will be able to read aRTD in a few days physically :).

I realize that this could be misunderstood. I know many people who are like Hannu. They dislike contacting other people.
My english really improved since I started posting around here, but I fear I have a long way to go yet.

And yes Bunny, I totally agree with you about Hannu, he acts true.

Quote from: potatobunny
Plus, he reminds me a lot of my high school self, when I didn't fit in and was kind of feared and shunned. I don't think I actually DID anything other than slam a book onto a desk in a few different instances when the classroom was particularly noisy, but it was a relief to not have to play nice with people whom I knew I would never be able to get along with

Whish my students would stay at that. Most of them fit to one diagnosis or another but as we are not doing psychiatric work (not mainly) this only does matter if we discuss family topics in Ethics, English or while reading a German book. Those who come close to Hannu are more like totally not speaking to anybody or hiding somewhere far away from the others during break. So yes, Hannu is totally normal although he doesn't want to socialize with everybody.

Had to look that up. Hooray new Vocab learnd :)

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #594 on: October 19, 2014, 09:37:14 AM »
It annoyed me that Ville is human now. Also I would have liked more background information about puppy fox and the other animals as well as the dreamflow the birds are following. There is this really interesting mystical world outside and Ville ends up to be an ordinary human being. But I think I'm a little picky if it coms to storytelling. Though I dislike the ending I'm quiet happy that I will be able to read aRTD in a few days physically :).

I realize that this could be misunderstood. I know many people who are like Hannu. They dislike contacting other people.
My english really improved since I started posting around here, but I fear I have a long way to go yet.

And yes Bunny, I totally agree with you about Hannu, he acts true.

Whish my students would stay at that. Most of them fit to one diagnosis or another but as we are not doing psychiatric work (not mainly) this only does matter if we discuss family topics in Ethics, English or while reading a German book. Those who come close to Hannu are more like totally not speaking to anybody or hiding somewhere far away from the others during break. So yes, Hannu is totally normal although he doesn't want to socialize with everybody.

I think I get what you mean; Ville becoming human is a little too perfect, though to me it seems like the ideal situation for Hannu to learn and grow.

And no, I think you were clear enough! I was just going off on a tangent because I also think Hannu's a great character! I find your comparison of your students and Hannu quite spot on, especially the hiding far away from the others.

Do you teach students who have "issues", then? Even though you say you aren't doing psychiatric work, how much training did you need? (Psych grad here, sorry. >_>)

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #595 on: October 19, 2014, 09:50:50 AM »
Do you teach students who have "issues", then? Even though you say you aren't doing psychiatric work, how much training did you need? (Psych grad here, sorry. >_>)
I head to study for 4 1/2 years and now I'm at my 1 1/2 practice year. We study regular teaching and have to choose 1 schoolsubject and two special needs topics. The psychiatric lessons contain learning psychiatry (Skinner and all his lovely friends [ok, i like behavorism and the following researches]), bondage theory, special needs psychiatry (like diagnosis of learning disabilites, mental disabilities and designing fitting support programs) and as I chose emphasising on behavioral disorders there were many sociological subjects on criminal careers, friendship, mobbing as well as several psychological disorders (depression, social phobia, eating disorders, borderline and else) to be learned. Of these we learned the symptoms but no treatments.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #596 on: October 19, 2014, 10:04:51 AM »
The psychiatric lessons contain learning psychiatry (Skinner and all his lovely friends [ok, i like behavorism and the following researches]),

Urk, behaviorism. I think the role of the instructor within the classical paradigm of pedagogical behaviorism is fundamentally flawed. People are neither containers nor motivated to learn by purely hedonistic principles.

bondage theory

A rare glimplse into my sense of humour: this word made me chuckle.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #597 on: October 19, 2014, 10:06:59 AM »

If I had a dollar for every time I've written "writhing" instead of "writing", I'd be a very young millionaire! I've written it in exams, essays, on folders and book covers ;__;
"English Writhing Class"
"Writhing Improvement Session"
"Note to self: Improve Hand Writhing"
"Be sure to keep your writhing neatly spaced out for the examiners"
"My writhing is generally pretty loose and flowing, (despite not being cursive,) with a tendency to lean to the left."
Ò____Ó

Yeah, the friend who found Hannu..... Isn't the brightest actually. So she wouldn't know "Sociopath" from "Socrates' Bath" U___U
I'm actually very tempted to properly write down all the crazy things she's done and then publish it >;P hehe I'm actually very, very, glad she lost interest in aRTD which never carried over to SSSS because then she might read the comments and know I'm here and sometimes talking about her O___O Nightmare.

I liked the aRTD story enough, but I think it has sooooo much potential for some impressive expansion and elaboration, which I'm hoping to one day see someone write ;)
I just interpreted the ending as I saw it: journey complete, one hero stays unchanged (aka Hannu being a bit of a grump: I mean, he didn't even let Ville open the door for his first time when they got home, Ville saved your butt Hannu and you won't let him open the door till tomorrow? Ok then) and the other is physically changed, but this doesn't solve any problem, in fact it creates more! So I kind of liked how it ended like a fairy tale trying to hastily/sneakily cover up some unfinished business à la Puppy Fox ;3
But the ending left a lot of opportunity, which can still be explored! Probably not by Minna, but explored nonetheless! :3

^ thats what I've tried to convince myself of anyway ;P

I think I get what you mean; Ville becoming human is a little too perfect, though to me it seems like the ideal situation for Hannu to learn and grow.

Just noticed your comment, I totally agree! However, Ville's new form looses it's perfectness in all the mysteries and issues it brings up in the community, and I kind of doubt that Hannu would show any signs of changing for quite a while ;P
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 10:11:09 AM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #598 on: October 19, 2014, 10:13:41 AM »
Urk, behaviorism. I think the role of the instructor within the classical paradigm of pedagogical behaviorism is fundamentally flawed. People are neither containers nor motivated to learn by purely hedonistic principles.

It contains many flaws, but the principles do work. Espacially on traumatised children or people with severe learning disabilities. Once I head to teach a girl how to climb stairs. I got best results when showing chocolate chip cookies to her. Later she did as well without the cookies. She could not speak nor sign.

A rare glimplse into my sense of humour: this word made me chuckle.

Uuuhm. *g* Is it bonded theory?

*goes to see wikipedia*

waaah attachement theory.  They wouldn't teach us bondage at university ;)

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #599 on: October 19, 2014, 10:47:17 AM »
waaah attachement theory.  They wouldn't teach us bondage at university ;)
I did wonder. I know I'd have remembered bondage theory.  8)

I head to study for 4 1/2 years and now I'm at my 1 1/2 practice year. We study regular teaching and have to choose 1 schoolsubject and two special needs topics. The psychiatric lessons contain learning psychiatry (Skinner and all his lovely friends [ok, i like behavorism and the following researches]), bondage theory, special needs psychiatry (like diagnosis of learning disabilites, mental disabilities and designing fitting support programs) and as I chose emphasising on behavioral disorders there were many sociological subjects on criminal careers, friendship, mobbing as well as several psychological disorders (depression, social phobia, eating disorders, borderline and else) to be learned. Of these we learned the symptoms but no treatments.
That's very interesting! So essentially they really really do make sure you're trained in the aspects you want to go into. It's good to know, because here in Malaysia we sometimes have school counselors (who I'd think would need a bit more of a psych background than teachers, even) that aren't even properly trained in how to handle special needs or psychological issues. (Often, being sent to the counselor is given as a punishment for students who've acted out, which is just such a horrifying misuse). I'm not sure how much training special needs teachers would need here, I should ask my mom who's a schoolteacher, actually.

"My writhing is generally pretty loose and flowing, (despite not being cursive,) with a tendency to lean to the left."
Ò____Ó
*snort*

I liked the aRTD story enough, but I think it has sooooo much potential for some impressive expansion and elaboration, which I'm hoping to one day see someone write ;)
[...]
Ville's new form looses it's perfectness in all the mysteries and issues it brings up in the community, and I kind of doubt that Hannu would show any signs of changing for quite a while ;P
I definitely see Hannu being stubborn in his lying ways, but he'll probably mellow out veeeeery gradually as he gets Ville used to life as a humanoid (Let's face it, Hannu teaching Ville to be human is kind of the wrong way around.). I honestly don't see a grump as a hugely bad thing, and hey, at least Hannu remembered to let Ville have sausages! :D
I will say, I liked how it ended inconclusively with a few loose ends, because there's so much richness in the worlds Minna creates that it feels like a snapshot into the lives of other real people. Like, you share a journey with some people, and they tell you about these other people, and then you part ways and you're left wondering how it would end, y'know? Mind you, I'd also love to actually find out what it all is actually like... XD