Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410890 times)

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #7590 on: June 27, 2015, 03:30:15 AM »
hrrmmrmm I regret going to bed at 3am

oh yeah this is a Public Service Announcement; I'm going to some cottage or other with various family members today and tomorrow and I don't think I'll have wifi. I mean, it's not for a long time and I feel pretty ridiculous making a deal outta it, but I have some irons in the fire it seems - if someone is attempting contact and I'm not answering for an uncharacteristically (unhaizually?) long time........... you'll know why.

aaandndnd they need this hotel room while i'm gone so I gotta pack againnnnnn

Nimphy: aw, I hope you'll have some fun despite all that! byeeeee
you'll know where to find me.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #7591 on: June 27, 2015, 03:44:46 AM »
Nimphy, I hope too you'll have some good moments during this camp :)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #7592 on: June 27, 2015, 05:24:24 AM »
We have our own personal guard for our house hut in Japan:

Spoiler: show
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #7593 on: June 27, 2015, 06:05:43 AM »
Soooo I'm about to depart for ten days. I'm going to camp, whichi is normally one of the events I wait for all year.

Thing is, this year I'm really not eager to go. My cousin is visiting, I have much I could do instead, all the kids from my church will come and I can't stand most of them... Plus, last year was a disaster, and I don't want to repeat that.

So yeah. Not really happy to go, but I also kinda want to go. So goodbye, I'll see ya in ten days!
Hopefully it goes better this year! Have fun! :)
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • my real name is Emil but you can call me Emil
  • Preferred pronouns: *incoherent screaming*
« Reply #7594 on: June 27, 2015, 07:42:44 AM »
I have a friend who came back from studying in England for the summer break, and she is hosting a party for her 20th birthday because she haven't celebrated it in 10(!) years. It'll be a small friends-only private party. I was thinking of buying her a nice bottle of citrus vodka (it's really good) but due to the alcohol percentage I can't legally buy it in 1 1/2 years (you can buy beverages containing a certain amount of alcohol when over 18, anything more than the limit you'll have to be 21) so I'm kinda stuck.

I asked my mom if she would help me, and she refused because even though she's cool with me drinking whatever, she doesn't want to be responsible for anything. She said I was better off asking anyone else, but I don't know anyone who is above 21 that would not give me the same answer.

I can't think of anything else right now besides flowers, but I don't know. Ugh.

Sorry for the alcohol chat.

I am currently walking around downtown Tokyo eating a giant cheesecake filled crepe and observing the street fashion. Pictures to follow in the picture thread later today when I have a computer.

Quick question: How much does a trip to Japan cost?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 08:09:27 AM by Emil »

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #7595 on: June 27, 2015, 08:21:48 AM »
I have a friend who came back from studying in England for the summer break, and she is hosting a party for her 20th birthday because she haven't celebrated it in 10(!) years. It'll be a small friends-only private party. I was thinking of buying her a nice bottle of citrus vodka (it's really good) but due to the alcohol percentage I can't legally buy it in 1 1/2 years (you can buy beverages containing a certain amount of alcohol when over 18, anything more than the limit you'll have to be 21) so I'm kinda stuck.

I asked my mom if she would help me, and she refused because even though she's cool with me drinking whatever, she doesn't want to be responsible for anything. She said I was better off asking anyone else, but I don't know anyone who is above 21 that would not give me the same answer.

I can't think of anything else right now besides flowers, but I don't know. Ugh.

Sorry for the alcohol chat.
Oh gosh,,,presents.... (I'm that person who will make a deliberately hideous sculpture and pack it in a box of gummy bears....or elaborately gift wrap a weird lookin' rock. ;__;)
Sensible gifts though... if it's super nice citrus vodka then I guess yeah, go ask a friend to buy it for you? Sounds good, I guess? I don't really understand 'the gift of alcohol' though. But that's just me. Plus, if the intention is for it to be drunk on the night -and not saved for later/special occasions etc- and things go pear-shaped then yeah, your mum has a point. But I dunno.
Mum-friendly ideas might include... hmmmm maybe a cute necklace? But I have no idea how guy-to-girl gifts work...which I just realised is the case here...? I have no idea now :/ is nice/casual jewellery a big deal in this situation? I don't know...
A book? Like, an art book or something? I once got given a giant book of cat breeds and it was awesome. This may not be the case with other people. A scarf? *shrugs confusedly* *shoulders leave my body and fly away into the sky*
Sorry I'm no help :/
Someone else here would definitely know though.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 08:25:11 AM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #7596 on: June 27, 2015, 08:32:23 AM »
(you can buy beverages containing a certain amount of alcohol when over 18, anything more than the limit you'll have to be 21)

I'm pretty sure the legal limit is 20 years, not 21.

and not saved for later/special occasions etc

Sounds like a "special occasion" to me, but hey.

Maybe you could buy her something Norwegian to bring back to England? Chocolate, brown cheese, paté etc.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 08:39:11 AM by Fimbulvarg »

SugaAndSpice

• Scout
  • just a gourd on the internet
  • Preferred pronouns: ALL THE PRONOUNS. He/him/his is always a safe bet though!
« Reply #7597 on: June 27, 2015, 12:58:09 PM »
I was talking to Huntra about the weather in Iceland, and she said the weather was sort of like Seattle and Canada, so I am now calling it Seanadiland.
I say vol, you say tron! Vol!
…Voltron?

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #7598 on: June 27, 2015, 01:01:28 PM »
I was talking to Huntra about the weather in Iceland, and she said the weather was sort of like Seattle and Canada, so I am now calling it Seanadiland.
From my experience, it was like Wales for half the time, warmer for a quarter and far, far colder for the other quarter.
Does it rain a lot in Seattle?

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #7599 on: June 27, 2015, 01:20:56 PM »

*Looks up the Seattle climate table*

Nope. At least not in terms of quantity.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 02:21:19 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #7600 on: June 27, 2015, 03:10:09 PM »
If by Canada they mean British-Columbia, then maybe.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • my real name is Emil but you can call me Emil
  • Preferred pronouns: *incoherent screaming*
« Reply #7601 on: June 27, 2015, 03:19:08 PM »
I'm pretty sure the legal limit is 20 years, not 21.

Ohhh yeah I looked it up and you're right. This makes thing a bit easier for me.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #7602 on: June 27, 2015, 03:39:04 PM »

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #7603 on: June 27, 2015, 03:42:32 PM »
From my experience, it was like Wales for half the time, warmer for a quarter and far, far colder for the other quarter.
*Looks up the Seattle climate table*

Nope. At least not in terms of quantity.
Yes and no. You don't get big thundering downpours very much, and the summer is very dry, but from Halloween to May 1st and the end of May to 5 July, there's fine sprinkling rain or low cloud nearly every day. This year's been really weird in that we've had basically no Juneuary (it has been neither cold nor icky this month) and the winter was pretty mild. Dang climate change.

Basically, it rains often but not heavily.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #7604 on: June 27, 2015, 03:54:23 PM »
Yes and no. You don't get big thundering downpours very much, and the summer is very dry, but from Halloween to May 1st and the end of May to 5 July, there's fine sprinkling rain or low cloud nearly every day. This year's been really weird in that we've had basically no Juneuary (it has been neither cold nor icky this month) and the winter was pretty mild. Dang climate change.

Basically, it rains often but not heavily.

Mmmm... Frequency is on the high end but not exceptional. The table for SeaTac says 950 mm with on average 152 rainy days. By comparison New York city has 1250mm/122 days; Toronto 850mm/145 days; Halifax, Nova Scotia 1400mm/221 days; Sydney 1200mm/143 days; Bergen, capital of the region of Norway where I live, has 2250mm/202 days.

In short the question "does it rain a lot" is best answered with "in comparison to where"?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 03:58:39 PM by Fimbulvarg »