Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409143 times)

koalalou

• Scout
  • Attention Dazzling Heywhat'sthat Dysfunction
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #7245 on: June 20, 2015, 05:35:11 PM »
As far as I know the only thing stereotypically Canadian about my accent is---well, I pronounce it 'sorry' not 'sarry'
Still don't understand what the big deal about that is (other than the fact that sorry is spelled with an O and not an A so you should pronounce the O?) but yeah...Windsor is too close to Detroit for there to be too many differences in accents :P

Boop-boop-ba-doop~

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #7246 on: June 20, 2015, 05:37:49 PM »
As for my accent, I've heard a Lot of american accents and I have One instead of a Spanish One. Most of my recordings of me speaking in english are in my YT channel in 1-year-old videos :P

Edit: I've found One video of 3 maybe

Your voice is SO cute!! *-*
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7247 on: June 20, 2015, 05:38:54 PM »
(other than the fact that sorry is spelled with an O and not an A so you should pronounce the O?)

Well shouldn't that mean we'd pronounce 'worry' as 'wohrry' and not 'wurry'?

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #7248 on: June 20, 2015, 05:44:58 PM »
(Hah, my first thought was "Yeah?" And then I remembered ;) *derp*)
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

daItrick

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Making terrible puns since 2004
  • Preferred pronouns: They/he
« Reply #7249 on: June 20, 2015, 05:48:09 PM »
Your voice is SO cute!! *-*

When I was 8, yeah makes sense hahah
Anyways, Thank you!
I am floating away, lost in a silent ballet.
     - Adam Young

:spain: :uk:
:chap7::chap8:
prev. RealRedCloudYT

{0,0}
 |)--)  
_"_"_

koalalou

• Scout
  • Attention Dazzling Heywhat'sthat Dysfunction
« Reply #7250 on: June 20, 2015, 06:52:00 PM »
Not sure if I do or don't
One of my American friends just happened to point out that they say 'sahr-ry' and I basically say 'sore-ry'--so I'm actually not even sure if there's a difference in how I say worry or not
I should investigate this at some point o 3o

Boop-boop-ba-doop~

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #7251 on: June 20, 2015, 07:02:05 PM »
Not sure if I do or don't
One of my American friends just happened to point out that they say 'sahr-ry' and I basically say 'sore-ry'--so I'm actually not even sure if there's a difference in how I say worry or not
I should investigate this at some point o 3o

Me too! Whenever I apologize for anything they're always like "oooohh you sound so Canadian"!
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Silent Fox

• Scout
  • Speaks little, writes a lot
« Reply #7252 on: June 20, 2015, 07:06:08 PM »
I've always found accents interesting, but as a non-native English speaker I am having the hardest time understanding someone with a heavy accent on the phone. :( Add to that the fact that I talk really quietly, and you get this every time:
Person: "Yes, hello, this is *krkaarkr* calling from *rapid-fire slang*
Me: "...I'm sorry, what did you say?"
Person: "I am *slursluslur* from *accent deeper than the Marianas Trench* calling about your *garblegarble*
Me:  "...."
Person: "..."
Me: "I'm so sorry...no?" *click*
Native: :germany:
Getting fluent after 10 years: :usa:

:chap7: :chap8:

AuthorOfLight

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • i am just a littol creachur
« Reply #7253 on: June 20, 2015, 07:31:56 PM »
Me too! Whenever I apologize for anything they're always like "oooohh you sound so Canadian"!

Yeah, I think that tends to be a Canadian thing? Maybe? Although of course I say soory and I'm from the western U.S. :D
fluent - :usa:
decentish - :mexico:
starting to learn - :finland: :japan:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #7254 on: June 20, 2015, 07:41:26 PM »
I've always found accents interesting, but as a non-native English speaker I am having the hardest time understanding someone with a heavy accent on the phone. :( Add to that the fact that I talk really quietly, and you get this every time:
Person: "Yes, hello, this is *krkaarkr* calling from *rapid-fire slang*
Me: "...I'm sorry, what did you say?"
Person: "I am *slursluslur* from *accent deeper than the Marianas Trench* calling about your *garblegarble*
Me:  "...."
Person: "..."
Me: "I'm so sorry...no?" *click*
Awwww that happens to me sometimes, but not as bad. Shamefully, I'm usually the one being asked "What was that? Pardon?" Because my accent has slipped and then I have to rethink everything I say. Hahah "this is my first language and I can't even communicate I'm such a failure to the English language why can't I speak British-ly or American like everyone else >:O" and then I end up sounding kinda English and then super rarely- but increasingly more often thanks to the forum and internet- American. The other day I said "oregano" in the American way and my sister just stood there and looked at me and joked "Who are you Owl, who are you. Aluuuuuumin'm" and I'm like "I don't know anymOrE.."
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 07:42:58 PM by OrigamiOwl »

SugaAndSpice

• Scout
  • just a gourd on the internet
  • Preferred pronouns: ALL THE PRONOUNS. He/him/his is always a safe bet though!
« Reply #7255 on: June 20, 2015, 07:51:05 PM »
today I found out I absolutely suck at making popcorn. I mean HOW HARD CAN IT BE it's just putting it into a microwave oven and stop it when it doesn't pop so much, right? and YET...
they're only slightly burnt so I can still eat them, or at least most of them. I spent actual money on this (11 czk, probably what, 4 norwegian kroner?) so I'm NOT gonna throw it away!  if i get a stomach ache it will be 100% my fault

Ooh Ooh I am the master of popcorn!!!!! popcornpopcornpopcornpopcornpopcornpopcornpopcornpopcornpopcornpopcornpopcornpopcorn
I say vol, you say tron! Vol!
…Voltron?

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #7256 on: June 20, 2015, 07:51:23 PM »
I always feel terrible because I'm not very coherent just by inability to speak words properly, not even accent, because I get really nervous while I'm speaking and start to plan out what I'll say next and then before I realize it a bunch of nonsense has come out of my mouth. It happens about every other sentence and I feel especially bad for anybody who doesn't speak English as a first language because not even the native speakers can understand me?? It doesnt help my social anxiety at all, yayy
YEET

Silent Fox

• Scout
  • Speaks little, writes a lot
« Reply #7257 on: June 20, 2015, 08:00:33 PM »
Awwww that happens to me sometimes, but not as bad. Shamefully, I'm usually the one being asked "What was that? Pardon?" Because my accent has slipped and then I have to rethink everything I say. Hahah "this is my first language and I can't even communicate I'm such a failure to the English language why can't I speak British-ly or American like everyone else >:O" and then I end up sounding kinda English and then super rarely- but increasingly more often thanks to the forum and internet- American. The other day I said "oregano" in the American way and my sister just stood there and looked at me and joked "Who are you Owl, who are you. Aluuuuuumin'm" and I'm like "I don't know anymOrE.."
Ah, yes, someone who shares my pain. *passes flask of non-alcoholic beverage*
It's weird for me because at times I get people who apparently can't hear my very obvious German accent, and think I'm just some odd mumbling native. Nowadays those people make me feel like I'm loosing touch with my roots (no! must bathe in Sauerkraut :P). Younger children tend to confuse me for a British woman or even French (what?).
Your last phrase reminds me of the time in class when we were asked to make shoebox cameras and I asked my teacher to please pass me the aluminum foil. "The alumummininium foil, please." how I hated that darn word! He stared hard at me and tried not to laugh out loud- poor man- and asked me to repeat it until I got it right. Since practice makes perfect. Pfft!
Native: :germany:
Getting fluent after 10 years: :usa:

:chap7: :chap8:

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
« Reply #7258 on: June 20, 2015, 08:15:20 PM »
I always feel terrible because I'm not very coherent just by inability to speak words properly, not even accent, because I get really nervous while I'm speaking and start to plan out what I'll say next and then before I realize it a bunch of nonsense has come out of my mouth. It happens about every other sentence and I feel especially bad for anybody who doesn't speak English as a first language because not even the native speakers can understand me?? It doesnt help my social anxiety at all, yayy

Oh gosh, I'm the same way. I trip over my own words as I speak like everytime I say more than one sentence. I always have to restart words, like, "Preva- er, previum -bluh- PRE-MI-UM." I'd been chalking it down to needing more practice talking to people.
Having a quiet voice of course doesn't help either.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #7259 on: June 20, 2015, 08:17:18 PM »
Ah, yes, someone who shares my pain. *passes flask of non-alcoholic beverage*
It's weird for me because at times I get people who apparently can't hear my very obvious German accent, and think I'm just some odd mumbling native. Nowadays those people make me feel like I'm loosing touch with my roots (no! must bathe in Sauerkraut :P). Younger children tend to confuse me for a British woman or even French (what?).
Your last phrase reminds me of the time in class when we were asked to make shoebox cameras and I asked my teacher to please pass me the aluminum foil. "The alumummininium foil, please." how I hated that darn word! He stared hard at me and tried not to laugh out loud- poor man- and asked me to repeat it until I got it right. Since practice makes perfect. Pfft!
*takes a swig*
Aluminum! ;-; oh no! *pats* I say it like "al-ah-MIN-yum/ium" but everything turns to hell when my brain can't decide if it wants to be American suddenly: creating horrors like "ah-LOO-m'n-YUM" or "allum-EE-naminamniman" whyyyyyyyy
Oh gosh, I'm the same way. I trip over my own words as I speak like everytime I say more than one sentence. I always have to restart words, like, "Preva- er, previum -bluh- PRE-MI-UM." I'd been chalking it down to needing more practice talking to people.
Having a quiet voice of course doesn't help either.
Oh yes. This. I feel this on a spiritual level XD