Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409843 times)

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #6825 on: June 14, 2015, 12:28:54 PM »
It's all of that Finnish stuff you've been working on. It's slowly changing your surroundings to enhance your learning experience.  ;D

Most people don't need to try and sleep in their saunas.
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #6826 on: June 14, 2015, 12:31:58 PM »
Blehhhh, mowed the lawn. And then raked up the hay because the lawnmower is the kind that doesn't gather it up. It's both one of my favourite and least favourite chores because on one hand it's boring and raking gives me blisters but on the other hand the smell of cut grass is so good! Besides I like the raking part, even though blisters happen. Time to make lemonade... :P
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #6827 on: June 14, 2015, 12:36:36 PM »
Most people don't need to try and sleep in their saunas.

How do you know? It could be a thing. People could have slumber parties in them somewhere.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6828 on: June 14, 2015, 12:36:45 PM »
Blehhhh, mowed the lawn. And then raked up the hay because the lawnmower is the kind that doesn't gather it up. It's both one of my favourite and least favourite chores because on one hand it's boring and raking gives me blisters but on the other hand the smell of cut grass is so good! Besides I like the raking part, even though blisters happen. Time to make lemonade... :P

I'm always torn because I also love that smell, but if I get any fresh-cut grass on me, I'll break out in itchy red rash.  :( Lemonade is the best drink for yard-work, though. :)

How do you know? It could be a thing. People could have slumber parties in them somewhere.

I think that might be dangerous because of overheating/dehydration.
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #6829 on: June 14, 2015, 12:40:38 PM »

I think that might be dangerous because of overheating/dehydration.

You mean like this? http://satwcomic.com/too-hot-for-this-world
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

daItrick

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Making terrible puns since 2004
  • Preferred pronouns: They/he
« Reply #6830 on: June 14, 2015, 12:44:41 PM »
You mean like this? http://satwcomic.com/too-hot-for-this-world

JESUS CHRIST WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON WITH NORWAY AND DENMARK HERE
O-O

Anyways, I remember when I was in a sauna for the first time and I was only for a minute. I can't deal with them.
I am floating away, lost in a silent ballet.
     - Adam Young

:spain: :uk:
:chap7::chap8:
prev. RealRedCloudYT

{0,0}
 |)--)  
_"_"_

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #6831 on: June 14, 2015, 12:46:55 PM »
Fear, that's just Denmark being Denmark. :P
Here in Seattle, we get sunny, dry-heat-ish summers that aren't really boiling hot, and then the rest of the year is grey and rainy/misty, with maaaaybe a little snow in winter.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #6832 on: June 14, 2015, 12:58:47 PM »
Anyways, I remember when I was in a sauna for the first time and I was only for a minute. I can't deal with them.

For me it's quite the opposite, I miss sauna so much. There's one ok-ish sauna here but it's way out in Mosó, so it's always a bit of a hassle to go there and besides it's just not the same... The first time I was there with a groups of other Finns we got the staff following us to the pools just to remind us to keep our swimwear on in the sauna (what blasphemy), the seats were made of wrong kind of wood and were so hot they would have given you burns without extra thick butt-coaster seat cover things to sit on. At least they had a cold water pool. You'd be surprised how hard it is to find cold water in swimming pools in Iceland.

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #6833 on: June 14, 2015, 01:02:57 PM »
I have never been in a sauna before.

daItrick

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Making terrible puns since 2004
  • Preferred pronouns: They/he
« Reply #6834 on: June 14, 2015, 01:16:38 PM »
For me it's quite the opposite, I miss sauna so much. There's one ok-ish sauna here but it's way out in Mosó, so it's always a bit of a hassle to go there and besides it's just not the same... The first time I was there with a groups of other Finns we got the staff following us to the pools just to remind us to keep our swimwear on in the sauna (what blasphemy), the seats were made of wrong kind of wood and were so hot they would have given you burns without extra thick butt-coaster seat cover things to sit on. At least they had a cold water pool. You'd be surprised how hard it is to find cold water in swimming pools in Iceland.

Cold water swimming pools are hard to find in Iceland?! Wow!
I just runned to the coldest swimming pool after the sauna. I couldn't help it XD
I am floating away, lost in a silent ballet.
     - Adam Young

:spain: :uk:
:chap7::chap8:
prev. RealRedCloudYT

{0,0}
 |)--)  
_"_"_

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #6835 on: June 14, 2015, 01:17:35 PM »

What, did they figure that, being Finns, you were likely to discard the swimwear and thus needed extra supervision?

What you do have in Iceland though is hot springs. Here we have very few saunas and no springs, only the chilly fjords and lakes.

koalalou

• Scout
  • Attention Dazzling Heywhat'sthat Dysfunction
« Reply #6836 on: June 14, 2015, 01:19:37 PM »
I don't much enjoy saunas, myself. I find it a little too hard to breath in all the heat.

Boop-boop-ba-doop~

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #6837 on: June 14, 2015, 01:47:53 PM »
I have never been in a sauna before.

Sadly I don't have one so you won't probably get a good chance of visiting one here either... oh well, at least do try the swimming pools!

Cold water swimming pools are hard to find in Iceland?! Wow!
I just runned to the coldest swimming pool after the sauna. I couldn't help it XD

It's the curse of geothermal energy: the pools are so warm that trying to swim a few laps is exhausting, and those are the coldest pools!

What, did they figure that, being Finns, you were likely to discard the swimwear and thus needed extra supervision?

What you do have in Iceland though is hot springs. Here we have very few saunas and no springs, only the chilly fjords and lakes.

I'm afraid they did. Upon arrival we asked them if the sauna was on that day, one staff member said "nnnno..." and another said "yes" and ran off, most likely to switch it on. They know they sometimes get the Finns, we're a thing. They know we'll be displeased if the holy room is cold.

What I'll never understand, though, is why the swimsuits are a necessity... EDIT: in the sauna area I mean. The pools are obviously a different matter entirely. Public nudity isn't a big deal here, especially not when it comes to bathing. Just to go to the pool you have to strip naked and wash yourself well and the staff won't just trust that you will, they actually have a few staff members always in the shower areas who make sure no one tries to sneak into the pools unwashed (which is good, though at first it felt a bit awkward).

Meh I'd trade a hot spring for a lake. Sand bottom one, mind you.

I don't much enjoy saunas, myself. I find it a little too hard to breath in all the heat.

Yup, saunas are a thing that needs getting used to or growing up with. Main rule is to never spend more time in one than feels comfortable, not being able to breathe does not exactly sound like a relaxing experience...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 01:54:23 PM by Laufey »

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #6838 on: June 14, 2015, 01:55:09 PM »
I've kind of teetered on the doorway a few times, but they're just oppressively hot.
Worse than steam rooms.

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #6839 on: June 14, 2015, 01:57:58 PM »
I've kind of teetered on the doorway a few times, but they're just oppressively hot.
Worse than steam rooms.

Wait. What's the difference between steam rooms and saunas?