Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387587 times)

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #6570 on: June 08, 2015, 08:31:41 PM »
I've gotten a tornado warning before and I live in New Jersey.

Depends on where you live.

Is New Jersey supposed to get tornadoes?
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #6571 on: June 08, 2015, 08:31:59 PM »
This is kinda random, but it's raining really loudly here and the weather is just being really strange and we just got a tornado warning which is kinda scary because we don't usually get those but then we did and um how accurate are those?
Problem with tornadoes is that they're unpredictable. Keep an eye on the sky, and if it looks yellow/green, get to a safe area immediately. Doesn't mean a tornado will hit you, but it means it's nearby. And don't drive anywhere. I've been through about a dozen tornado warnings and pretty close to a couple of tornadoes, but I've never actually been hit. It's not like an earthquake which affects everyone in the area---odds are you'll be fine, but don't do anything stupid.
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

koalalou

• Scout
  • Attention Dazzling Heywhat'sthat Dysfunction
« Reply #6572 on: June 08, 2015, 08:32:26 PM »
This is kinda random, but it's raining really loudly here and the weather is just being really strange and we just got a tornado warning which is kinda scary because we don't usually get those but then we did and um how accurate are those?
Well, if its not a usual occurrence I wouldn't worry too much...but keep the local tv and radio news stations on just in case until it (the warning) passes. That's what I do when my city gets a tornado warning, and we don't usually get the either but it's always good to stay alert just in case, especially if your weather is acting as strange as you say.

Edit: listen to the Texan. They'd know best xP

Boop-boop-ba-doop~

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #6573 on: June 08, 2015, 08:39:39 PM »
Edit: listen to the Texan. They'd know best xP

I just googled tornado statistics and apparently Texas has an average of 155 tornadoes a year. :o Wow. 

There aren't usually that many tornadoes in the north-east, but it has happened before.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #6574 on: June 08, 2015, 08:51:57 PM »
I just googled tornado statistics and apparently Texas has an average of 155 tornadoes a year. :o Wow. 

There aren't usually that many tornadoes in the north-east, but it has happened before.
Yuppedeedoo.
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #6575 on: June 08, 2015, 08:57:27 PM »
Yuppedeedoo.

Yayyyy I'm right in the red zone in Florida! Yay! Hurra y y y
YEET

koalalou

• Scout
  • Attention Dazzling Heywhat'sthat Dysfunction
« Reply #6576 on: June 08, 2015, 09:02:01 PM »
Yuppedeedoo.

Oohhh look, you can see where tornado alley is!
I think my area (not on the map because Canada lol xD) would be the same shade as the thumb on the Michigan mitten. That's about right, yeah.
You can tell I lived half my life in Michigan because I just did the thing where I used my own hand as a map lol (to figure out the vague area where Detroit would be, in this case xD)

Boop-boop-ba-doop~

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #6577 on: June 08, 2015, 09:06:02 PM »
Yayyyy I'm right in the red zone in Florida! Yay! Hurra y y y

I went to Florida over spring break just over a year ago! My orchestra was performing there. We went to disney and we got to see what it looks like backstage at the park. It was really cool, except they ban cameras so I have no pictures. It was really pretty there, and I had fun, except my body did not cope well with the heat (this is how I know where the disney world urgent care facility is hidden). They also have a Canada and a Norway at Epcot and I was there butchering Danish with one of the employees. I think my pronunciation may have traumatized her... I had better luck speaking French in the France section. We ordered crepes with ice cream in french.

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #6578 on: June 08, 2015, 09:08:57 PM »
Yuppedeedoo.

Yayyyy my state is not in grave danger of tornadoes!
I think during the weather unit in middle school science we looked up the total number of tornadoes ever (on the record, that is) in all the states, and Washington had like 2. Both of which were far away from Seattle. \o/
(but you Floridians don't have to worry about volcanoes or earthquakes, so I guess we're even...)
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #6579 on: June 08, 2015, 09:11:37 PM »
Yayyyy my state is not in grave danger of tornadoes!
I think during the weather unit in middle school science we looked up the total number of tornadoes ever (on the record, that is) in all the states, and Washington had like 2. Both of which were far away from Seattle. \o/
(but you Floridians don't have to worry about volcanoes or earthquakes, so I guess we're even...)

Are there a lot of volcanoey things happening in Washington? I know we hear about Hawaii on the news with volcanoes all the time.

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #6580 on: June 08, 2015, 09:21:24 PM »
Good luck Feartheviolas! Though admittedly, I do love a good storm, but I'm not so sure about what that'd be like if it was, y'know, threatening in any way...

Ooh, but also! I started the thing!
https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=488.0
Help me make a language! Yoo can doo eet...
Seriously, though, could be fun, though I'm not sure if this'll work - it's an experiment I've wanted to try for quite some time :P
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #6581 on: June 08, 2015, 09:23:01 PM »
Are there a lot of volcanoey things happening in Washington? I know we hear about Hawaii on the news with volcanoes all the time.
Yes and no. The last major eruption was in 1980 (Mt St Helens, I don't know if anyone outside this area learns about it in school or anything) and we don't have the kind of volcanoes that make lava.
That said, Mt Rainier has been making a few grumbly noises, as has St Helens's stump. We're also right on a fault line, so there's a decent chance of big quakes, too. And our volcanoes make these things called "lahars" that are basically a flash flood made of boiling-hot mud and ash flowing down any riverbeds on the side of the volcano at tens of meters per second. If Rainier erupts, a lahar will destroy Tacoma with like half an hour's warning.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6582 on: June 08, 2015, 09:27:20 PM »
Yes and no. The last major eruption was in 1980 (Mt St Helens, I don't know if anyone outside this area learns about it in school or anything) and we don't have the kind of volcanoes that make lava.
That said, Mt Rainier has been making a few grumbly noises, as has St Helens's stump. We're also right on a fault line, so there's a decent chance of big quakes, too. And our volcanoes make these things called "lahars" that are basically a flash flood made of boiling-hot mud and ash flowing down any riverbeds on the side of the volcano at tens of meters per second. If Rainier erupts, a lahar will destroy Tacoma with like half an hour's warning.

I did a project on Mt. St. Helens in middle school (with a tiny fake volcano model and everything), and I live nowhere near Washington. My mom actually has some pumice from that eruption stored away somewhere.
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #6583 on: June 08, 2015, 09:29:36 PM »

I think we watched a documentary in my environmental science class about natural succession and it had Mt. St. Helens in it, just because all the life came back so quickly afterwards. As for earthquakes I have experienced a few small ones when I lived in California. (I was that obnoxious kid in history class that was always raising their hand when the teacher asked us if we'd been somewhere we were currently talking about. When I was in the US the teacher used to tease the class because I'd seen more of the US than most of the Americans in the classroom :P)

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6584 on: June 08, 2015, 09:47:48 PM »
There certainly aren't an abundance of earthquakes in my area, but there were a couple a while ago that could be felt (minor by any standard, I think they were around 2 or 3 on the Richter scale) that alerted me to the fact that there actually is a pretty big fault line not too far from me. Fortunately, it's not very active.
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!