Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411656 times)

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #450 on: October 14, 2014, 05:13:42 AM »
Know any books with dorkier sleep-inducing titles, Sunflower? :D

I have a book about logs. The history, culture and processes of burning logs in furnaces. I would like to say that it is a small niche book but it's actually last year's top selling book in this country.

It's also perfectly sleep inducing. Reading about logs will make you "saw logs".

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #451 on: October 14, 2014, 05:18:18 AM »
I have a book about logs. The history, culture and processes of burning logs in furnaces. I would like to say that it is a small niche book but it's actually last year's top selling book in this country.

It's also perfectly sleep inducing. Reading about logs will make you "saw logs".

A log book! X'D hehe...
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #452 on: October 14, 2014, 12:23:56 PM »
To be honest, "the Tree Key" seems very practical and even interesting to a biology student.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #453 on: October 14, 2014, 12:38:19 PM »
It would have been nice if somebody read a sleep bringing book at the dentists today. My teeth are that good, that I wouldn't need any anesthesition, but "bad" enough for doing some jobs with the dental drill. It was the first time in my whole life and remembering it still makes me shiver. It didn't actually hurt, but it was queer how every bone in my head grabed the tune of the drilling machine. Imaginating that some people whose teeth are badly attacked with tooth decay have to sit for hours on that chair and still feel what's going on though they got sedation... uuuargh.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #454 on: October 14, 2014, 12:45:05 PM »
It would have been nice if somebody read a sleep bringing book at the dentists today. My teeth are that good, that I wouldn't need any anesthesition, but "bad" enough for doing some jobs with the dental drill. It was the first time in my whole life and remembering it still makes me shiver. It didn't actually hurt, but it was queer how every bone in my head grabed the tune of the drilling machine. Imaginating that some people whose teeth are badly attacked with tooth decay have to sit for hours on that chair and still feel what's going on though they got sedation... uuuargh.

I honestly suspect sedation is a placebo. When I was 10 I had 4 teeth removed - and by removed I mean violently ripped out with pliers - in one day (by a Dutch dentist somewhat disconcertingly named Dirk). As far as I could tell the sedation did nothing for me on that painful day.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #455 on: October 14, 2014, 12:50:01 PM »
I honestly suspect sedation is a placebo. When I was 10 I had 4 teeth removed - and by removed I mean violently ripped out with pliers - in one day (by a Dutch dentist somewhat disconcertingly named Dirk). As far as I could tell the sedation did nothing for me on that painful day.

That sounds... uuargh. No. When they removed my wisdom teeth it was quiet interesting. The sedation worked fine but there was no drilling only weird instruments to be seen in the mirror. And really large teeth, sadly I lost them when I moved some years ago. Maybe your dentist really was a butcher?

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #456 on: October 14, 2014, 12:53:04 PM »

Isn't it good, Norwegian wood?  ;)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Sparky Dragon

• Scout
  • [Insert witty/amusing phrase here.]
« Reply #457 on: October 14, 2014, 01:12:33 PM »
and by removed I mean violently ripped out with pliers - in one day (by a Dutch dentist somewhat disconcertingly named Dirk). As far as I could tell the sedation did nothing for me on that painful day.

O.O  I think you just had an unnecessarily violent dentist. I've had...either three or four teeth pulled (but none wisdom teeth, or with cavities, funnily enough) and actually, it wasn't that bad at all. Like, getting my braces taken off was more painful.

Chapter Breaks Survived: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Runner-Up in the International Mirror-Throwing Games, Year 89

Raya

« Reply #458 on: October 14, 2014, 02:42:25 PM »
Urgh, teeth discussion D: I actually have a phobia of human teeth. I'm a freaky mutant with three sets rather than two, so I've had so many of them yanked out to stop me looking like a shark; sometimes I'd go for just a check up and come back missing a few. That and I've had so many horrible experiences (like having to rip out a tooth and cut the gum with scissors because I couldn't get to a dentist) I just...can't stand things being done to teeth. Just your posts are making my toes curl D:

Heh, reminds me of Norway's log burning channel. Apparently it drew a huge number of complaints...all about which way up the logs were stacked ;D

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #459 on: October 14, 2014, 04:00:31 PM »
Urgh, teeth discussion D: I actually have a phobia of human teeth. I'm a freaky mutant with three sets rather than two, so I've had so many of them yanked out to stop me looking like a shark; sometimes I'd go for just a check up and come back missing a few. That and I've had so many horrible experiences (like having to rip out a tooth and cut the gum with scissors because I couldn't get to a dentist) I just...can't stand things being done to teeth. Just your posts are making my toes curl D:

when my holidays are done I can offer packing themes like teaching children maths, english (yes, they actually allow me to teach the little ones english...), music, ethics and stuff like that. But okay, no talk about teeth anymore. Though three sets of teeth sound quiet interesting to me. But that's like beeing blind at nights (and only at nights): Many people are fascinated by the topic while it's anything but exciting to me ;).

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #460 on: October 14, 2014, 04:20:09 PM »
To be honest, "the Tree Key" seems very practical and even interesting to a biology student.

I was very very tempted to take The Tree Key home with me, it had some nice diagrams, and tree knowledge is cool XD

My first couple of fillings were done like that, and then one where we realized I did in fact need anasthetic >8C
The only good, working anesthetic I've ever felt/not felt was at the doctors, but my arm still kinda hurt during the surgery (I think they were just being a bit rough :/)

That sounds... uuargh. No. When they removed my wisdom teeth it was quiet interesting. The sedation worked fine but there was no drilling only weird instruments to be seen in the mirror. And really large teeth, sadly I lost them when I moved some years ago. Maybe your dentist really was a butcher?

Eeeek. I was told by my dentist that my wisdom teeth have to come out, but none of the local dentists felt brave enough to do it, so they referred me some...mysterious posh-sounding dude... So I don't know if that means he's A) a superior dentist magician, or B) the only guy crazy enough to do it. O___O I was so preoccupied by those thoughts that I wandered out of reception forgetting to pay X'P
Apparently they want to cut into my jaw, close to where those nerves are?! It sounds like overkill! D:

Awwww :( I'm actually fine with teethy surgeries, just....not when I'm in the chair ;___; Eg: I watched a whole bunch of videos showing teeth removal, and it was really interesting, but when I realized that was going to happen TO me, I freaked out ;___; it's the same with medical stuff :S
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 04:52:18 PM by OrigamiOwl »

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #461 on: October 14, 2014, 04:21:37 PM »
Ack! No! Sorry Kex, I posted about them at the same time you posted ;____;

Want me to delete it?

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #462 on: October 14, 2014, 04:29:39 PM »
Isn't it good, Norwegian wood?  ;)

I'll never understand what that title is supposed to refer to.

Heh, reminds me of Norway's log burning channel. Apparently it drew a huge number of complaints...all about which way up the logs were stacked ;D

Apparently this show is inspired by the book I had in mind.  I always though the name "Hel Ved" was a pun on a common swear word though.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #463 on: October 14, 2014, 04:30:08 PM »
Ack! No! Sorry Kex, I posted about them at the same time you posted ;____;

Want me to delete it?

Nope :)

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #464 on: October 14, 2014, 04:56:32 PM »
I've never had any teeth problems, thankfully.  Not sure how, cause I had terrible hygiene when I was younger...  Never had braces either. 
As far as anesthetics go, everyone I've talked to has said the dentists will say "Count to 10, please."  and even the biggest, burliest guys I know only get as far as 2 before they lose consciousness.  "David After the Dentist" is proof enough it's not a placebo effect.

Work today was nice.  I wasn't doing work.  We student-interns ("co-ops" as they call us in Fancy McFancypants town) had a class today on drawing pretty pictures correctly so people don't cheat you out of your company's money, thousands of dollars at a time.  Then we got to fiddle around with the apprentice training machines and figure out how they worked.  Learning is sooo much more fun than desk work.
Feel free to PM.