Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387632 times)

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #6105 on: June 01, 2015, 07:22:10 AM »
it's best to bring the bare minimum of stuff.
*pauses in the middle of jamming half the wardrobe into suitcase*

to be fair this may be my only chance to wear my summer clothes at all this year. kalimba is a neccessity because it's great at calming myself down if my brain goes to heck, but I will not listen to the little voice saying I may finally get an opportunity to wear my elf coat. but ah yes towel!! I almost forgot towel. do i even need a towel........ better safe than sorry i guess

and if i end up buying a ton of stuff I can't take with me back, I'll just leave it with my grandparents and pick it up sometime later! let's just ignore I have a heap of things lying there already
you'll know where to find me.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #6106 on: June 01, 2015, 07:24:53 AM »
Yup, one uni year in England pretty much ended with shouting randomly at the other flatmates "Does anyone want a good umbrella? It's yours - I got some glasses, plates, pots and a pan too, cheap ones but does - here you go, anyone need books X, Y and Z and I think I don't need this thesaur- oh someone took them already -" and I still ended up with luggage somewhat over the weight limit (the airport lady took pity on me though).

Oh, I just donated those kinds of things to the local charity shop. That's where I got some of my towels too incidentally, which I suppose is a bit strange... Used towels. Well, boil em twice and even Mikkel will approve. The one, single towel I brought wasn't enough it turned out.

Anyways, I'm surprised they didn't charge me extra 'cause I was clearly way over the limit as well.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 07:34:22 AM by Fimbulvarg »

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #6107 on: June 01, 2015, 07:39:02 AM »
but ah yes towel!! I almost forgot towel. do i even need a towel........ better safe than sorry i guess

Never go anywhere without your towel.

Anyways, I'm surprised they didn't charge me extra 'cause I was clearly way over the limit as well.

I had about 6kg too much which is well above the usual airport staff "hnnnn can't be bothered" -level so I was rather surprised too. I figured it was because I was such a minihuman AND mentioned I was on my way of moving out of the country that she just decided to ignore it. (In any case, thank you kind airport lady if you ever read this.)
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #6108 on: June 01, 2015, 07:45:10 AM »
At least for me, when I did something similar, [the secret] was to have been awake for the previous 48 hours.

Nope, not enough.  Full three days awake before and I still only slept about 10 hours.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #6109 on: June 01, 2015, 07:47:15 AM »
I had about 6kg too much which is well above the usual airport staff "hnnnn can't be bothered" -level so I was rather surprised too. I figured it was because I was such a minihuman AND mentioned I was on my way of moving out of the country that she just decided to ignore it. (In any case, thank you kind airport lady if you ever read this.)

Maybe. I have no such advantages but they still chose to ignore it, willfully or not. Maybe the absolutely enormous queue had something to do with it.

Never go anywhere without your towel.

I probably would not have gotten the HGttG reference if the movie wasn't on TV last week. What does it even mean.

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • my real name is Emil but you can call me Emil
  • Preferred pronouns: *incoherent screaming*
« Reply #6110 on: June 01, 2015, 07:51:59 AM »
Page actually found!

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #6111 on: June 01, 2015, 07:56:11 AM »
I probably would not have gotten the HGttG reference if the movie wasn't on TV last week. What does it even mean.

Your SSSSsona seems to already know this all but:

"You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-bogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you — daft as a brush, but very very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough."
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Amity

• Scout
  • What Would Sigrun Do?
« Reply #6112 on: June 01, 2015, 07:58:27 AM »

A towel is very, very{*} useful when traveling throughout the galaxy.

As is the right song:

/>

* very very very
If life hands you Emil, make Emilonade!

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #6113 on: June 01, 2015, 07:59:23 AM »
Sssoooooooo... have you packed yet? *eyebrow waggle*

Ssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh! It might find me O_O
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #6114 on: June 01, 2015, 08:13:23 AM »
I hope my airport is cleaned up after the potato party.
you'll know where to find me.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #6115 on: June 01, 2015, 08:21:53 AM »

"You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-bogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you — daft as a brush, but very very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough."

B-but... Actually that sounds very logical. I guess it wasn't explained very well in the movie.

If you manage to keep your airport nice and tidy you are clearly not using it correctly.

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #6116 on: June 01, 2015, 08:48:24 AM »

Brilliant!
Love the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (can you tell?)
Also, it was Towel Day just last week.

koalalou

• Scout
  • Attention Dazzling Heywhat'sthat Dysfunction
« Reply #6117 on: June 01, 2015, 09:28:32 AM »

no worries
it was my fault the party happened, Jabberwoky and I will pick up the garbage, vacuum/wash the floors, and wipe down the other flat surfaces ;)
well...I'll clean. Jabberwocky will find a stool or something to perch on and watch me imperiously

also--don't worry about the packing. my whole family operates on 'pack a few hours before we leave because I forgot the night before ahhhhhhh'
even my mother who at least does SOME of her packing the night before always ends up doing the rest the morning of xD

also--washing machines. strangely simple so long as you don't fiddle with the dials too much
warm water works for whites, or assorted colours, cold water for darker colours like black, and never use bleach on anything that's not white (always check to mack sure the container does not say bleach anywhere, or that its safe on colours)
other than that you just put a cap-full of the proper detergent in, a cap-full of fabric softener, then press the start button on the machine

aaaand if I wasn't supposed to attempt explaining that I apologize. It's like 9am where I am and I just woke up--without my coffee I'm not really thinking straight xP

I hope you have fun on your trip!

Boop-boop-ba-doop~

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6118 on: June 01, 2015, 09:37:22 AM »
It's like 9am where I am and I just woke up--without my coffee I'm not really thinking straight xP

You only just woke up at 9 on a Monday? Sigh, that must be nice.  ;)
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #6119 on: June 01, 2015, 09:40:04 AM »
Maybe. I have no such advantages but they still chose to ignore it, willfully or not. Maybe the absolutely enormous queue had something to do with it.

You are lucky, when me and Chizu were flying back from Bulgaria we were late for our flight so in a rush, suitcase was a couple of kilos overweight and we didn't have time to try and re-organise or anything, so an extra 90 Euro fee got slapped on.  No sympathy from the staff at all.