Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387254 times)

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #345 on: October 10, 2014, 02:07:01 PM »
Thanks, ThisCat. :) The funny thing is, I wouldn't have thought I'd be affected, but it does sting a little bit. At least i'm concievably in the right age range to be a generation above most single-digit-age children, so it's not like they're off by two decades...

In that case you can hardly call yourself old at all :)
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

Raya

« Reply #346 on: October 10, 2014, 04:56:48 PM »
Don't worry. For one thing, apparent age is not as important as people make it out to be, and for another, children are usually bad at guessing peoples ages anyways.

This reminds me of an embarrassing incident when I was about 5 years old. My auntie took me to a pantomime, and as it was my birthday the actors got me on up stage. They asked how old I was, then how old my auntie was. In front of a whole theatre full of people, I said she was 40.

She was 27.

I still feel bad about it, sorry auntie :'(

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #347 on: October 10, 2014, 09:22:33 PM »
Babies. Are. Awesome.
I've never really gotten to experience anything like that before. :'D
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #348 on: October 10, 2014, 09:43:00 PM »
Babies. Are. Awesome.
I've never really gotten to experience anything like that before. :'D

8D did you visit your niece?!
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #349 on: October 10, 2014, 10:04:39 PM »
In that case you can hardly call yourself old at all :)

I don't. :D

In front of a whole theatre full of people, I said she was 40.

She was 27.

Ouch!

And Eich, let's have all the gory details. How adorable is she?  ;D

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #350 on: October 10, 2014, 11:59:32 PM »
Yep!  She's amazing.  I'm going back tomorrow to engage in what the family calls "baby worship" which makes a lot more sense to me now that I've held one in my arms.  I was seriously just sitting there and watching her for about 30 minutes or so; I think I went about ten minutes of that in a row without saying anything.

Aside from being the cutest thing in the universe, and my beautiful, eldest sister's daughter, it struck me when I was holding her that there was an entire life ahead of her that was going to happen.  I just started thinking about the enormous consequences of that fact: what mistakes would she make, what would she learn the easy way, who would she influence, how would she find her place in the world and would that place be with her family, whose love for her she can't even comprehend yet?  It's overwhelming to think about, in a good way.  It got me choked up pretty good for a while there.  :')
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #351 on: October 11, 2014, 12:54:16 AM »
Awww! That is pretty awe-inspiring and amazing to think about O__O

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #352 on: October 11, 2014, 09:01:51 AM »
Awww! That is pretty awe-inspiring and amazing to think about O__O
Exactly!  I've never been a big fan of babies before, but that got 180'd in a few seconds.
I totally get now why my parents didn't strangle me, after all the trouble I gave them.
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #353 on: October 11, 2014, 09:23:47 AM »
Exactly!  I've never been a big fan of babies before, but that got 180'd in a few seconds.
I totally get now why my parents didn't strangle me, after all the trouble I gave them.
Hmm, your parents might've been used to it/prepared by then, after your older sister (and any other siblings)

They still kinda freak me out a bit, but I guess that's because I haven't had any close encounters, despite being the eldest kid in the family (but I was a pretty grumpy-looking kid so maybe my relatives didn't trust me to hold my baby cousins X'P) but I think that they would actually be pretty great to be around after you got used to it :P

But at the moment it's only the awkward silence following a kid-cousins question of "all my aunts are finished havin' kids. You're next right?" *cue myself choking/spitting out whatever I'm trying to politely eat/drink and the whole family-reunion turning to stare ;__;* hahaaaaaagh

Edit: and then my dorky answer is usually "but then I wouldn't have time to play with YOU!" Which only /sometimes/ works XD
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 09:53:28 AM by OrigamiOwl »

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #354 on: October 11, 2014, 10:00:47 AM »
Hmm, your parents might've been used to it/prepared by then, after your older sister (and any other siblings)

They still kinda freak me out a bit, but I guess that's because I haven't had any close encounters, despite being the eldest kid in the family (but I was a pretty grumpy-looking kid so maybe my relatives didn't trust me to hold my baby cousins X'P) but I think that they would actually be pretty great to be around after you got used to it :P

But at the moment it's only the awkward silence following a kid-cousins question of "all my aunts are finished havin' kids. You're next right?" *cue myself choking/spitting out whatever I'm trying to politely eat/drink and the whole family-reunion turning to stare ;__;* hahaaaaaagh
Yep.  I never understood why anyone would want kids for a while, then I eased up on that idea, and now I'm totally cool with it.

#OldestKidProblems, am I right?  That's embarrassing (and kind of funny)!
One of my friends wants to have like 7 kids, before he starts adopting more.  He's one of the over-the-top kind of people.
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #355 on: October 11, 2014, 10:12:00 AM »
Yep.  I never understood why anyone would want kids for a while, then I eased up on that idea, and now I'm totally cool with it.

#OldestKidProblems, am I right?  That's embarrassing (and kind of funny)!
One of my friends wants to have like 7 kids, before he starts adopting more.  He's one of the over-the-top kind of people.

#OldestKidProblems totally ;P I think I'm yet to be totally cool with it, but maybe that's because I don't see myself as a very social person, let alone a partner-and-children type person O__O but I guess that might change when I'm older maybe, life's weird that way.

Ha! I have a friend like that, except she's kinda scared of children and relationships so she wants to adopt a heap of parrots and birds and make a bird sanctuary/park instead. She's a big fan of the Rio movies (she watches it with her macaw and usually cries during the poaching scenes) X'D and considers her birds as her (spoilt! One tries to peck my eyes out when I visit!) children. O__O
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 10:24:17 AM by OrigamiOwl »

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #356 on: October 11, 2014, 10:51:15 AM »
#OldestKidProblems totally ;P I think I'm yet to be totally cool with it, but maybe that's because I don't see myself as a very social person, let alone a partner-and-children type person O__O but I guess that might change when I'm older maybe, life's weird that way.

Ha! I have a friend like that, except she's kinda scared of children and relationships so she wants to adopt a heap of parrots and birds and make a bird sanctuary/park instead. She's a big fan of the Rio movies (she watches it with her macaw and usually cries during the poaching scenes) X'D and considers her birds as her (spoilt! One tries to peck my eyes out when I visit!) children. O__O
I'm not very social either, but I do want to settle down with a nice girl one day.  For some reason, that usually ends up with kids running around, so logic states that I'll probably be a dad one day.

That's uh... different.  Sounds like she needs to crack down and teach them some discipline!  I'm not a bird person, but it's admirable that she'd want to do that to give some animals a safe environment.  Birds are cute and all, but they freak me out a little (except for Jontron's bird, Jaques. He's adorable).  I prefer mammals, personally, like this cat on my nightstand! 
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #357 on: October 11, 2014, 11:06:44 AM »
I'm not very social either, but I do want to settle down with a nice girl one day.  For some reason, that usually ends up with kids running around, so logic states that I'll probably be a dad one day.

That's uh... different.  Sounds like she needs to crack down and teach them some discipline!  I'm not a bird person, but it's admirable that she'd want to do that to give some animals a safe environment.  Birds are cute and all, but they freak me out a little (except for Jontron's bird, Jaques. He's adorable).  I prefer mammals, personally, like this cat on my nightstand!

Hmmmm...future..... that sounds like a nice plan, I'm guessing all the Eich kids and baby toys will be super educational and probably engineering-themed? Hehe >:P

Birds are pretty cool.... But the claws and beaks are like velociraptor claws and I don't want those near my eyes :/ chickens are ok, we used to have this one hen who we could place on people's heads and she would just sit there for ages XD she was a cool chook.

Cats are definitely better, yes. By far.

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #358 on: October 11, 2014, 11:15:13 AM »
t struck me when I was holding her that there was an entire life ahead of her that was going to happen.  I just started thinking about the enormous consequences of that fact: what mistakes would she make, what would she learn the easy way, who would she influence, how would she find her place in the world and would that place be with her family, whose love for her she can't even comprehend yet?  It's overwhelming to think about, in a good way.  It got me choked up pretty good for a while there.  :')
Awwww, that is really sweet and quite profound.  Like an acorn, she is a seed of potential, and the years will witness her growth into a great oak.

Ha! I have a friend like that, except she's kinda scared of children and relationships so she wants to adopt a heap of parrots and birds and make a bird sanctuary/park instead.
My boyfriend and I are kind of like that (scared of children; evidently we're alright with relationships), so our plan is to wait till we can afford a place with a lawn, and then we'll adopt a few rabbits. The rabbits will be indoor rabbits, but a lawn would be good for them to run around in.

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #359 on: October 11, 2014, 12:32:58 PM »

Eh, don't worry about these things. You'll meet someone special soon enough, most people do.

As for me I'm aiming to live up to the old crazy cat hermit stereotype. Except maybe not so much cats as just animals in general. Or actually, maybe mostly dogs. And a falcon. A falcon would be amazing.

To be honest I've always more or less hated children, but that's just me in a nutshell. I have a personality a bit like Francis from left for dead.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 01:54:20 PM by Fimbulvarg »