Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387899 times)

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #5280 on: May 15, 2015, 10:12:32 PM »
Ah, so everyone's still taller than me? Excellent, excellent...

(152cm, 45kg. Brother in law's first words on meeting me: "She's a hobbit!")

...I'm taller by 1 cm! Not that that's anything spectacular.

My consolation is that if the situation called for it, I would be able to hide in more places than taller people. Some consolation.

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #5281 on: May 15, 2015, 10:53:53 PM »
Well I'll break the trend, for I am not hobbit.

I stand at about 180cm, and I weight about 77Kg.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #5282 on: May 15, 2015, 10:58:43 PM »
...I'm taller by 1 cm! Not that that's anything spectacular.

My consolation is that if the situation called for it, I would be able to hide in more places than taller people. Some consolation.

If it's any consolation, if we run out of food we'd probably eat you and Hush last.  And those scrawny teenage boys with no meat on their bones.

I, on the other hand, would probably provide several meals for the rest of you.  (First marinated overnight in white wine, garlic, sea salt, lemon zest, and bayleaves, of course.)   ;D
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #5283 on: May 16, 2015, 12:03:00 AM »
You are a positively itty bitty human being.
You and Wyrd are the ultimate combo.  Together you could stack up to make one mega-person.

\o/ I'll be one of those scrawny supervillains/mad scientists and Wyrd will be my intimidating henchman/right hand man. Or he'll be Pinkie and I'll be the Brain. Or I'll be Frankenstein and he'll be my monster... :D

I too remeasured myself - and I'm now a whopping 5'5"! That's over 165 cm! *Revels in newfound 'tallness'*
Seriously, though, last time I measured myself I was precisely 5' (152 cm for you normal people). That was a year ago. Still haven't gained any weight, though - I literally am made of sticks, weighing in at 97 pounds (44 kg).

Waaaaaaaat you weigh less than I do. *starts shoving food down Adrai's throat*

Blackjazz

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • ~Je suis Le Chapeau~
« Reply #5284 on: May 16, 2015, 12:14:50 AM »
\o/ I'll be one of those scrawny supervillains/mad scientists and Wyrd will be my intimidating henchman/right hand man. Or he'll be Pinkie and I'll be the Brain. Or I'll be Frankenstein and he'll be my monster... :D

I had that theme stuck in my head for hours today. Thanks for putting it in back in there. XD
Native: :usa:.
Lots :france:  :mexico:  Little :italy: Learning :southkorea:
On the list: everything
:chap6: :chap7:
Enjoy yourself; it is later than you think.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #5285 on: May 16, 2015, 12:32:27 AM »

If you two don't want to be Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera for Halloween,

there's always this dynamic duo:

"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

asdasdasd2

• Mostly says meaningless things.
« Reply #5286 on: May 16, 2015, 04:30:13 AM »

I wake up to find this happening in steam.
It's a shame that isn't my real internet speed...
English, Hindi, Punjabi.

MrNegative

• pretty cool
« Reply #5287 on: May 16, 2015, 11:55:08 AM »
It's finals time!  :(
Native: :usa:
Learning: :sweden:, :vaticancity:
On hold: :denmark:

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #5288 on: May 16, 2015, 12:15:00 PM »
It's finals time!  :(

Brace yourself, finals are coming! And good luck, everyone needs it during that horrendous thing.
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • my real name is Emil but you can call me Emil
  • Preferred pronouns: *incoherent screaming*
« Reply #5289 on: May 16, 2015, 08:31:04 PM »

I wake up to find this happening in steam.
It's a shame that isn't my real internet speed...

Hah, it isn't the first time Steam has been acting screwy.
I don't have an image of it, but there was this time when Payday 2 updated past ~700mb and it showed something like 1,000/700 MB when I got back to my PC

Amity

• Scout
  • What Would Sigrun Do?
« Reply #5290 on: May 17, 2015, 09:55:29 AM »
But also fun fact, my hand is exactly 7 inches long from the wrist to tip of my finger, which has come in handy actually quite often.

I see what you did there.
If life hands you Emil, make Emilonade!

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5291 on: May 17, 2015, 10:23:33 AM »
LIFE UPDATE TIME GUYS

Things have finally officially (*tempts fate*) slowed down for me and Wyrd. We are moved in just about completely to our new house. We hired people to do the heavy lifting for us which was SO TOTALLY WORTH IT. We even paid them extra because they moved in the rain and it was still less than the time and money it would've taken us to do it ourselves, and we weren't even exhausted at the end. A+, would do again.

Things I have learned: get good contractors, and if the contractors you get suck kick 'em to the curb, because cleaning up after their mistakes is a hassle; how to install and wire fluorescent lighting; how to install a new thermostat (note to self: turn electricity off first next time...); how to install doorknobs and deadbolts; riding lawnmowers are proof that god wants us to be happy; hammocks are the best thing ever.

Next on the list: installing doors (remember how I talked about contractors who suck? yeah, the ones the previous owners hired didn't even install doors for, say, the bathroom), setting up desks, running cat-6 cables, converting what used to be a laundry chute (we call it the chicken coop because that's what it looks like) into a server rack, hanging all our pictures from comiccon, and otherwise nerdifying our space. Because we're such adults.

Also, there's a bird's nest in our garage. We can't see them (so I'm hella curious what kind of birds they are), but they chirp madly whenever we open the door. Also also, the neighbor informs us that we have blackberry bushes hiding somewhere. *goes on a hunt for them*

ETA: Heeeey this is my 200th post! *does a dance*
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 10:37:19 AM by hushpiper »

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #5292 on: May 17, 2015, 01:11:59 PM »
Why, why are we unable to see our mistakes when we write something, mmmh ? -__- *Reread herself and find mistakes bigger than her*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #5293 on: May 17, 2015, 01:53:35 PM »
hhhHhhhHhh so it's may 17th and the most festive thing I've done today (apart from drawing a parade with the norwegian self-inserts) is eaten a very small portion of rømmegrøt. whoo

Part because 1) I've had no good reason to participate in the parades, I don't go to a school where it's obligatory anymore, I don't even own a bunad and I'm not all that patriotic (i think ssss has brought out more of my national pride than anything else ever has), and more obviously because 2) my first exam is tomorrow and I've hardly read anything of what I've been supposed to read all semester

but I'm in this... odd floaty state between VERY VERY PANICKED BECAUSE I AM OBVIOUSLY GOING TO FAIL AND DIE and this....... ethereal apathy. like. okay, sure, i might not do very well but look at the stars. the stars are so huge and old and far away. wow. things don't really matter that much. my life doesn't matter that much. if i fail tomorrow it will make no difference for the stars. i'm rocking the insignificance

and I'm ALSO caught between this optimism that I'm gonna do just fine because I KNOW SO MANY THINGS WOW, but I'm also painfully aware that the knowledge I have is very vague and broad-stroked (ha ha art pun) and that I really really really should have read more. I still can read more but there's only so much knowledge you can absorb in 12 hours (several of which I hope to spend asleep), especially when your brain is all "bluh looking at these letters isn't very rewarding. you know what's rewarding? staring at the wall! WOW what a wall. what a wall"

so yeah pardon my finals nerves that have been all over the forum for the past weeks, they will hopefully cease soon.

(I'm also more worried about my throat acting up?? I've been coughing for a month and I'm still not sick but it's getting kinda... not fun to wake up by choking at nothing but air)
you'll know where to find me.

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5294 on: May 17, 2015, 02:22:00 PM »
(I'm also more worried about my throat acting up?? I've been coughing for a month and I'm still not sick but it's getting kinda... not fun to wake up by choking at nothing but air)

Does that happen a lot to you? Cuz it sounds kinda like sleep apnea, in which case getting that diagnosed/treated could potentially make a huge difference in life quality for you. Alternatively, if it's your throat/jaw muscles just clenching and spasming due to stress (which happens a lot to me), there's some stuff you can do--massage your face daily, avoid chewy foods (NO GUM FOR YOU), drink like at least one warm drink a day, and keep your face warm when it's cold by wearing a good scarf.