Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411571 times)

Haspen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Hat Kat
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #5235 on: May 14, 2015, 03:22:36 PM »
Hey fellow forumites!

What kind of forum games do you play around here? Do you make new threads when you get on play-by-post adventures? Can I make a thread for my own game? Or should I necro one of the previous ones? Is there greater interest in simpler text games or something complex and strategically-minded would be appreciated? Cooperative or competitive? I have buncha of various forum games on the other little forum I frequent (bay12) and I thought about maybe bringing a game or two here...

I'm mostly asking because the community looks so nice and friendly, and I don't want to start off with a forum faux pas that would haunt me forever ._.
Languages? Only :poland: and :uk: I'm afraid!

My 'dream catalogue' - Are you ready to delve into crazy? You probably aren't, so remember that you're clicking this at your own responsibility.

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #5236 on: May 14, 2015, 03:25:05 PM »
Hey fellow forumites!

What kind of forum games do you play around here? Do you make new threads when you get on play-by-post adventures? Can I make a thread for my own game? Or should I necro one of the previous ones? Is there greater interest in simpler text games or something complex and strategically-minded would be appreciated? Cooperative or competitive? I have buncha of various forum games on the other little forum I frequent (bay12) and I thought about maybe bringing a game or two here...

I'm mostly asking because the community looks so nice and friendly, and I don't want to start off with a forum faux pas that would haunt me forever ._.

There is a play by post thread, it's in this board somewhere. There hasn't been any activity there in a couple of months so it's buried pretty deep. If you know any fun games (that aren't too trivial hopefully) you could revive it if you want.

Haspen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Hat Kat
« Reply #5237 on: May 14, 2015, 03:34:13 PM »
In last five years I have made a bunch of forum games. Maybe I will give a short description of each of the more successful ones?

Era of Diesel: Ever heard of Diplomacy board game? Did you hear of Master of Orion series? I mixed those two so you have 1900-era Diplomacy with nation management, research, and other such things.
Squire: Commodore 64 look-alike text adventure. I basically input text into C64 stylized panels. The game is about 15-years old squire who is now out into the world and hopefully not die from court politics, warfare, poverty, diseases and other such things in low-magic fantasy world.
SpaceXplorers!: A fast-paced board-like game where 4 players roam the board, fighting aliens, exploring ancient ruins, mining minerals on planets and trading with other spaceships to acquire 5000 credits and win the race.
Medieval Fodder: A big two-team deathmatch depicting one battle in randomly made up fantasy world. Some of the playthroughs had up to 50 players involved!

There's also Fire Emblem on Forums, aka FEF, but it's too much for this little forum.

Would any of such games above catch interest amongst SSSS forumites?

My 'dream catalogue' - Are you ready to delve into crazy? You probably aren't, so remember that you're clicking this at your own responsibility.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #5238 on: May 14, 2015, 04:50:50 PM »
In last five years I have made a bunch of forum games. Maybe I will give a short description of each of the more successful ones?

Era of Diesel: Ever heard of Diplomacy board game? Did you hear of Master of Orion series? I mixed those two so you have 1900-era Diplomacy with nation management, research, and other such things.
Squire: Commodore 64 look-alike text adventure. I basically input text into C64 stylized panels. The game is about 15-years old squire who is now out into the world and hopefully not die from court politics, warfare, poverty, diseases and other such things in low-magic fantasy world.
SpaceXplorers!: A fast-paced board-like game where 4 players roam the board, fighting aliens, exploring ancient ruins, mining minerals on planets and trading with other spaceships to acquire 5000 credits and win the race.
Medieval Fodder: A big two-team deathmatch depicting one battle in randomly made up fantasy world. Some of the playthroughs had up to 50 players involved!

There's also Fire Emblem on Forums, aka FEF, but it's too much for this little forum.

Would any of such games above catch interest amongst SSSS forumites?

Whoah, that's a lot more advanced than anything I've seen played on a forum before. I don't have much time for anything time consuming myself but maybe someone else is interested in trying something new, they all sound pretty fun.

In other news: what better way to celebrate Ascension Day (public holiday here) than to climb a mountain? Because ascension (well, technically going into space would also be appropriate).

Haspen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Hat Kat
« Reply #5239 on: May 14, 2015, 04:54:52 PM »
Yes, I tend to make forum games rather... complex? I just to entertain people with something that truly involves their input in one way or another or lets them 'become' part of the game rather than just being random person writing random post. I've also talked with Sunflower a bit and it seems I will arrange a game of Squire! or SpaceXplorers for you friendly people for starters.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #5240 on: May 14, 2015, 04:55:31 PM »
In other news: what better way to celebrate Ascension Day (public holiday here) than to climb a mountain? Because ascension (well, technically going into space would also be appropriate).
We have so many public holidays in may in France that we were wondering which one was 14th yesterday evening.
I like your way to celebrate ^^
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #5241 on: May 14, 2015, 04:57:56 PM »
I wanna climb a mountain too now :c

........ I actually didn't realize it was Ascencion Day (is that the english name? amazing) until I woke up and found my family still at home and got really confused because I thought it was supposed to be thursday did i sleep for two days or what. i lost all my life structure when i started uni
you'll know where to find me.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #5242 on: May 14, 2015, 05:00:32 PM »
I wanna climb a mountain too now :c

........ I actually didn't realize it was Ascencion Day (is that the english name? amazing) until I woke up and found my family still at home and got really confused because I thought it was supposed to be thursday did i sleep for two days or what. i lost all my life structure when i started uni

Just do it.

I didn't know either until I was told. I never really celebrate it, but climbing a mountain on this day and in this weather felt appropriate. I'll save the actual celebration for 17th of May, although being swamped with work I might not actually have time for that...

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #5243 on: May 14, 2015, 05:01:58 PM »

Which mountain?  Will you give it a friendly shoulder-punch for us?

Also, I'm intrigued that Norway celebrates Ascension Day as a public holiday despite being 1) Protestant (seems to me that Catholics observe a lot more of the Christian holidays, saints' days, etc.) and 2) not particularly religious.  Also 3) isn't Independence Day coming up soon?  Do people make a 4-day weekend out of it?
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #5244 on: May 14, 2015, 05:08:02 PM »
Also, I'm intrigued that Norway celebrates Ascension Day as a public holiday despite being 1) Protestant (seems to me that Catholics observe a lot more of the Christian holidays, saints' days, etc.) and 2) not particularly religious.  Also 3) isn't Independence Day coming up soon?  Do people make a 4-day weekend out of it?
Sunflower, you have to understand, Norwegians love holidays that give them extra long weekends. And yes, 4-day ones. May is full of those. I think the reason we had a state religion for as long as we did was mostly to keep all our extra weekends
you'll know where to find me.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #5245 on: May 14, 2015, 05:09:06 PM »

Iceland celebrates it too despite not having been Catholic for a loong time, I'd say it's more to do with never letting go of a chance to have a day off work. The celebration actually originates in pre-Christian era, that might give an idea of just how stubbornly Nordics hang onto official celebrations... :D
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Divra

« Reply #5246 on: May 14, 2015, 05:12:02 PM »

Same thing in Sweden. Any excuse to take time off, especially when the weather's getting nice again. The 4 day weekend isn't official, but no-one expects to get anything done on the "klämdag" (literally "squeeze day", because it's "squeezed in" between the holiday and the weekend). Most people take a personal day and make a 4 day holiday, the rest of us catch up on our paperwork.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #5247 on: May 14, 2015, 05:13:23 PM »

A mountain near where I live. A very lonely one.

Like I said, it's not really celebration, just a public holiday. Most people spend the day as if it were a regular sunday.

Most people take a personal day and make a 4 day holiday, the rest of us catch up on our paperwork.

Yeah, paperwork...

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #5248 on: May 14, 2015, 05:57:44 PM »
Yeah in Finland too it's mostly just a random day off, but saddly friday being free seems to depend on your personal workplace/school since while i don't get a day off then my friends in upper Finland do.

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #5249 on: May 14, 2015, 06:16:35 PM »
With a stronger magnet. But first put the stronger magnet into a thin plastic bag so the filings won't get stuck on that one instead.

Thanks!
 For some reason, my brain kept going lemon juice. No, brain, the answer to everything is not lemon juice.

Now I just have to figure out if a handmade  electromagnet is stronger than Nanodots™(the brand the iron is stuck to)

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney