Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411216 times)

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #5100 on: May 10, 2015, 04:44:45 PM »
Alright here it is:

And of course a translation for you all:

Text in Finnish

Toivon sut, Tervetulleeksi
Takaisin, Tänne joukkoomme
Soitan siis, Soittoni iloisen
Laulanenkin, Lauluni kultaisen
Mieliksesi, Iloksesi

And in English
I wish you, Welcome
Back, To our group
So play i shall, My tunes joyous
Sing i shall, My song golden
For your joy, For your happiness.

( Take said translations with a pinch of salt if you may. )

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
« Reply #5101 on: May 10, 2015, 04:54:36 PM »
Alright here it is:

And of course a translation for you all:

Text in Finnish

Mieliksesi, Iloksesi

And in English
I wish you, Welcome
Back, To our group

OOOOOH
Hahaha, that's awesome. Thank you!
Did you write the poem yourself?

FinnishViking

• Scout
« Reply #5102 on: May 10, 2015, 04:58:10 PM »
Yes i did, i have strange fixation with trying to make kalevala lenght poens whenever i can  ;D

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
« Reply #5103 on: May 10, 2015, 05:28:53 PM »
Yes i did, i have strange fixation with trying to make kalevala lenght poens whenever i can  ;D

Really?! Wow, thank you so much

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #5104 on: May 10, 2015, 10:41:34 PM »
Text in Finnish

Mieliksesi, Iloksesi

And in English
I wish you, Welcome
Back, To our group

FV, that's wonderful!  Is that standard Kalevala meter?  (Trochaic tetrameter, or LOUD-soft, LOUD-soft, LOUD-soft, LOUD, LOUD if you're referring to the musical version.)

I ask only because my usual instinct in English would be to stress the 4th syllable (capitalized mid-line, after the comma).  But that doesn't fit the meter pattern I outlined above. 

UNLESS the doubled vowels are meant to be pronounced as 2 separate syllables?  e.g. not "TOY-von SUT, ter-VE-tul-LEEK-si" but "TOH-i-VON-sut, TER-ve-TUL..."   Oh, wait, that doesn't fit Kalevala meter either.

As a skald, and a Sibelius fan ("Kullervo, Kalervon poika" is one of the few things I can say in Finnish), I'm always curious to know how Finnish poetry works.  (BTW, among the few other Finnish words I recognize in your poem are "Terve" -- doesn't that by itself mean "Hello"? -- and "laulu" = "song.")

Meanwhile, keep up the good work! 

"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

FinnishViking

• Scout
« Reply #5105 on: May 11, 2015, 09:47:36 AM »
Sunflower i'm saddened to say that i'm no expert or even posses a rudimentary knowledge of the subject.

I may try to do stuff in kalevala metre, but just trying doesn't make it correct and in this case you should try summoning the other finnish expert because i think anything i would say would not be correct. Sorry that i can't be of help

Chizu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Potatoes you will potate!
« Reply #5106 on: May 11, 2015, 11:02:20 AM »
OOOH Korpliklaani logo! I will be attending a festival where they'll play :D

FinnishViking

• Scout
« Reply #5107 on: May 11, 2015, 11:24:06 AM »
Ahh, well lucky you since they won't be coming to finland expect once and i can't attend then so i'm out of luck on that department, but you have fun especially with their new album. ;)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #5108 on: May 11, 2015, 12:45:20 PM »
Cosplay photoshoots are all fun (if a bit awkward because no matter how remote the location is someone's bound to walk past and stare and you can't even complain because you understand you're looking a bit unusual like a 100% weirdo) but editing the photos and selecting the ones you're going to use is... argh. That said, I've finally pulled through editing a few hundred photos so here's a pat on me back, well done well done.

...now to select three photos out of them.  :-\
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #5109 on: May 11, 2015, 12:57:51 PM »
Cosplay photoshoots are all fun (if a bit awkward because no matter how remote the location is someone's bound to walk past and stare and you can't even complain because you understand you're looking a bit unusual like a 100% weirdo) but editing the photos and selecting the ones you're going to use is... argh. That said, I've finally pulled through editing a few hundred photos so here's a pat on me back, well done well done.

Or just upload them all to an imgur folder, post a link to it and call it a day?

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #5110 on: May 11, 2015, 01:03:17 PM »
Or just upload them all to an imgur folder, post a link to it and call it a day?

Alas they're needed for a specific purpose and I'll have to send in three, or perhaps four, gotta check the instructions on the exact amount... for other sharing purposes I'd totally do the lazy thing = imgur folder! :D

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #5111 on: May 11, 2015, 02:23:56 PM »

DID I HEAR COSPLAY
Ahaha no but seriously, that is the hardest part. I have folders upon folders of google drive photos from photoshoots (which are always uncomfortable but really fun to do because there's nowhere secluded in my immediate vicinity :_) ) and choosing some that aren't too ridiculous is always so difficult? I don't know if you guys realize but the photos I post to the cosplay thread are a  v e r y  small percentage out of the ones I take 8)

I am very interested as to what cosplay this is, though :3 pleasepleaseplease tell me it's Reynir wearing the beautiful peysa you knit a while ago
YEET

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #5112 on: May 11, 2015, 02:29:15 PM »
DID I HEAR COSPLAY
Ahaha no but seriously, that is the hardest part. I have folders upon folders of google drive photos from photoshoots (which are always uncomfortable but really fun to do because there's nowhere secluded in my immediate vicinity :_) ) and choosing some that aren't too ridiculous is always so difficult? I don't know if you guys realize but the photos I post to the cosplay thread are a  v e r y  small percentage out of the ones I take 8)

I am very interested as to what cosplay this is, though :3 pleasepleaseplease tell me it's Reynir wearing the beautiful peysa you knit a while ago

YOU DID HEAR COSPLAY

I know right, for me there always ends up being a gazillion photos taken at the same place, same pose, almost but not quite identical, and selecting the best one among them is mindbending. Sorry, this one's not Reynir but Talas from A Bride's Story... Reynir is already in the making though and may make an appearance in Närcon. Look for a really sweaty one, that'll be me.  :-\

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #5113 on: May 11, 2015, 02:46:34 PM »
YOU DID HEAR COSPLAY

I know right, for me there always ends up being a gazillion photos taken at the same place, same pose, almost but not quite identical, and selecting the best one among them is mindbending. Sorry, this one's not Reynir but Talas from A Bride's Story... Reynir is already in the making though and may make an appearance in Närcon. Look for a really sweaty one, that'll be me.  :-\

I do that too (the whole lots of pictures of almost-the-same-thing) because my photographer frend tends to try and make me to the same thing from lots of different angles (I had to fall off of a bench onto my butt into the dirt in white pants five times just so she could get a "variety of angles". thanks Sami) but I cannot take a serious picture and as a result I always have like 500 pictures of me making really stupid/ugly faces

Awww, that's a shame but given your sewing/crafting skills I'm sure it will be really cool! I haven't heard of that book, though, what's it about? (apart from brides of course ahaha)
YEET

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #5114 on: May 11, 2015, 03:10:08 PM »
I do that too (the whole lots of pictures of almost-the-same-thing) because my photographer frend tends to try and make me to the same thing from lots of different angles (I had to fall off of a bench onto my butt into the dirt in white pants five times just so she could get a "variety of angles". thanks Sami) but I cannot take a serious picture and as a result I always have like 500 pictures of me making really stupid/ugly faces

Awww, that's a shame but given your sewing/crafting skills I'm sure it will be really cool! I haven't heard of that book, though, what's it about? (apart from brides of course ahaha)

Aliens-guy voice: PHOTOGRAPHERS!

Fukkafyla: "Now stick a finger up your nose."

Me: "Ok?"

Me: "..."

The premise of A Bride's Story tends to put people off from reading it, which is a shame although I do understand why. I know it took me a while to get over the fact that the main story arch tells of a married couple where the wife is 20 and the husband is 12. Yup. The marriage is arranged so they don't even meet each other before the wedding day. Talas is not the main bride though, she has her own story wedged in the main story and her marriages were entirely different.

Regardless the actual story is more about the history, traditions and cultures of middle Asia, and various brides get to tell their stories. Everything seems really accurate and well-researched and the manga itself is real eye candy too - Kaoru Mori loves tiny details.