Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2441636 times)

Chizu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Potatoes you will potate!
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #4950 on: May 04, 2015, 09:05:54 PM »
Good for your soon-to-be-very-used art supplies!

Things I will never get about art
  • PENCIL HARDNESS
Hmmyou probably don't need the explanation, but I am going to give one anyway, it is pretty simple tis all about how soft and dense they are. H being the hardest, more pale and generally used in architecture sketches, then B are soft dark and perfect for portraits and just general sketches when you want to have a decent amount of shade.   

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #4951 on: May 04, 2015, 09:17:21 PM »
Hmmyou probably don't need the explanation, but I am going to give one anyway, it is pretty simple tis all about how soft and dense they are. H being the hardest, more pale and generally used in architecture sketches, then B are soft dark and perfect for portraits and just general sketches when you want to have a decent amount of shade.

You probably also did need this either but making a chart of all the pencil you have really, really helps you see! And experiment using the different hardnesses. I used to do everything with 2B, but I was missing the glorious dark greys/blacks I could get with the softer B's.

Oh that feeling...Yes, I have so many sketchbooks as well, each for different things. And Ink! So much INK! I will take pictures of all my feathers and inks. Do that! Art supplies hoards are teh best thing!But you do spend an awful amount of time staring at them like Golum going "My precious" ...

Heh, guilty of the too-many-sketchbooks-for-every-different-thing. Once I want to do something, I feel compelled to make/get another book for it first.

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #4952 on: May 04, 2015, 10:08:43 PM »
Why does nobody explain it like that? When I first went to Michel's and was considering getting some pencils I took one look at the hard and soft pencils and decided I would be better off somewhere else.

Also

*LOUD SCREAMING AT BEING A SAFE-ZONE CITIZEN*

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #4953 on: May 04, 2015, 10:11:06 PM »
whaaaat congratulations!
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #4954 on: May 04, 2015, 10:31:11 PM »
Soooo... On the way home from school today I was excitedly telling my mom about all sorts of stuff like how I got a 7/9 on an in-class essay (that's the best I've gotten yet, this year!), 100% on a history date-quiz (amazing since I got 2/20 on the last one), ate lunch outside because it was warm and sunny and the teacher's room I normally hang out in was being used for AP Chem testing (my poor best friend, she's convinced she got a 1), learned you can speed up or slow down YouTube videos (which mom thinks is the best thing I've learned all year) in German, and got to be Sysiphus in a game of "character-dating" in English. I said this, then launched into an explanation of an idea I had. In the middle of the explanation I stopped stopped and complained about how it's really hard to talk when you have "Parade of the Ewoks" stuck in your head. I preceded to sing the straight sixteenth-note section for her to show her what I meant. I had barely finished when we passed the miniature donkey farm and I saw that the donkeys were all near the fence. "Look at how close the donkeys are today!" I exclaimed. My mom started laughing and said, "You are so ADD!"

This would have been a fairly normal day for me when I'm tired and stressed, but then I started laughing - almost cackling - uncontrollably. Iiiiii think I need some sleep.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #4955 on: May 04, 2015, 10:37:26 PM »

CONGRATULATIONS!  You'll be getting an invitation to a *glittering* Citizenship reception this weekend.  There'll be cake.  (Ask anyone who recently made Citizen, Scout, or Ranger what it's like.)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
« Reply #4956 on: May 04, 2015, 10:38:00 PM »
Soooo... On the way home from school today I was excitedly telling my mom about all sorts of stuff like how I got a 7/9 on an in-class essay (that's the best I've gotten yet, this year!), 100% on a history date-quiz (amazing since I got 2/20 on the last one), ate lunch outside because it was warm and sunny and the teacher's room I normally hang out in was being used for AP Chem testing (my poor best friend, she's convinced she got a 1), learned you can speed up or slow down YouTube videos (which mom thinks is the best thing I've learned all year) in German, and got to be Sysiphus in a game of "character-dating" in English. I said this, then launched into an explanation of an idea I had. In the middle of the explanation I stopped stopped and complained about how it's really hard to talk when you have "Parade of the Ewoks" stuck in your head. I preceded to sing the straight sixteenth-note section for her to show her what I meant. I had barely finished when we passed the miniature donkey farm and I saw that the donkeys were all near the fence. "Look at how close the donkeys are today!" I exclaimed. My mom started laughing and said, "You are so ADD!"

This would have been a fairly normal day for me when I'm tired and stressed, but then I started laughing - almost cackling - uncontrollably. Iiiiii think I need some sleep.

*Starts waving watch around* You are feeling verrrrrrrrry sleepy
 *Accidentally knocks watch into head* You are veryyyyyyyyy knocked out.

(Yeah get those z'z's man)

Icon drawn by Piney

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #4957 on: May 05, 2015, 12:00:00 AM »
I HAVE OFFICIALLY MADE IT THROUGH ONE YEAR OF COLLEGE
Aaaaah, Way to go, Piney!  ;D 
Time to get started on your comic soon, right?  :D

Also, Fim, you were the number 10 for "Most time online" a few days ago, despite your logging out whenever you leave the page.  Normally you'd get 15 minutes worth of time every time you leave the page, if you didn't log out.  So, You ought to be up there with me and Nimphy, really. 
Feel free to PM.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4958 on: May 05, 2015, 12:25:50 AM »
Heh, guilty of the too-many-sketchbooks-for-every-different-thing. Once I want to do something, I feel compelled to make/get another book for it first.

My current sketchbook count is erm... eight. May or may not all be actively used.

Aaaaah, Way to go, Piney!  ;D 
Time to get started on your comic soon, right?  :D

Time to get started on those self-insert art trades, at least. Comic can wait until later this month, need to polish the plot and do more concept art. I want to have it up by summer, maybe even by my birthday. :)

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #4959 on: May 05, 2015, 01:11:28 AM »
I HAVE OFFICIALLY MADE IT THROUGH ONE YEAR OF COLLEGE
Yay, Piney!

My current sketchbook count is erm... eight. May or may not all be actively used.
Eight? Like, actual-actual sketchbooks? Impressive! (Do the margins of school-notes count as sketchbooks? If so the number I have is 4+4=8, but I erase all the doodles in my science and English notebooks, so that's minus two, and margins can really only count as half a notebook, so that's minus one point for math and history. One of the "real" notebooks is something like 5 by 3 inches and one I haven't seen since I drew Eich's puppy, so that's minus another point? I think that comes out to 4?)

*Starts waving watch around* You are feeling verrrrrrrrry sleepy
 *Accidentally knocks watch into head* You are veryyyyyyyyy knocked out.

(Yeah get those z'z's man)
Yes yes, sleep is a very good thing. (If you want another example of my current thought process, just look at my "math" above. ^
I still have the Ewok song in my head, though earlier it was briefly interlaced with "Oh Shanandoah." It was... interesting, but strangely not too bad.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4960 on: May 05, 2015, 03:00:17 AM »
GUYS! Look! Look!! I have a thing! It is one of my birthday presents~ It is from the awesometacular Koeshi! These pencils are so amazing! I just thought I needed to share their brilliance!

You know there's a rule saying you have to make ssss fan art with them now right?

Also, Fim, you were the number 10 for "Most time online" a few days ago, despite your logging out whenever you leave the page.  Normally you'd get 15 minutes worth of time every time you leave the page, if you didn't log out.  So, You ought to be up there with me and Nimphy, really. 

Well well look at friendly-neighbourhood NSA agent here, keeping tabs on us  :P

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #4961 on: May 05, 2015, 03:59:36 AM »
DID I HEAR SOMEONE TALK ABOUT SKETCHBOOKS
because uh sketchbooks are kind of my life

we were given our first wonky blank-page notebooks in fifth or sixth grade to use as Drawing Books, but I think I was the only one to actively use it. Because I filled mine out and needed a new one. And another. and another. And to this day I hoard up on cheap blank notebooks because I'm still filling them up, one by one. I used to number them, too, but I think I stopped somewhere around 20. Mostly because at that point I was starting to get better sketchblocks and my art extended to other mediums and the chronology of it all kind of fell apart

"tiny unicorn defiantly proves its existence"

and while it's a little cringeworthy it's incredibly fun to leaf through them, you can pinpoint exactly what book I was reading or what tv shows I was watching at what times. Also, you know, art evolution. It's like "and this is where I realized collarbones exist".

it's also worthy to note I almost never drew things while at home? Drawing was something I did at school. so I've been feilling 80% of these sketchbooks during classes. non-art classes. I also keep a lot of used notebooks that weren't supposed to be sketchbooks because I kept drawing in them anyway. ACTUALLY i have hoards of papers everywhere because I can't throw them away because I drew on them and like the result. WOOPS
you'll know where to find me.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4962 on: May 05, 2015, 04:40:49 AM »
I am home, at last. (Should I add a marker on the map for where I am during the summer?)

Yay, Piney!
Eight? Like, actual-actual sketchbooks? Impressive! (Do the margins of school-notes count as sketchbooks? If so the number I have is 4+4=8, but I erase all the doodles in my science and English notebooks, so that's minus two, and margins can really only count as half a notebook, so that's minus one point for math and history. One of the "real" notebooks is something like 5 by 3 inches and one I haven't seen since I drew Eich's puppy, so that's minus another point? I think that comes out to 4?)

Yeah, actual-actual sketchbooks. Ha, I don't even know what all to consider as "sketchbooks" from my piles of old stuff... how even should we define the word anyway...

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #4963 on: May 05, 2015, 05:16:16 AM »
They're amazing to work with, I should post some art with them soon...:X they're so precious I am somewhat afraid to use them.

You could post some of your current works when they are done, the owl eyes look amazing even if you don't like the rest of the picture.

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
« Reply #4964 on: May 05, 2015, 06:50:42 AM »
DID I HEAR SOMEONE TALK ABOUT SKETCHBOOKS
because uh sketchbooks are kind of my life

we were given our first wonky blank-page notebooks in fifth or sixth grade to use as Drawing Books, but I think I was the only one to actively use it. Because I filled mine out and needed a new one. And another. and another. And to this day I hoard up on cheap blank notebooks because I'm still filling them up, one by one. I used to number them, too, but I think I stopped somewhere around 20. Mostly because at that point I was starting to get better sketchblocks and my art extended to other mediums and the chronology of it all kind of fell apart

and while it's a little cringeworthy it's incredibly fun to leaf through them, you can pinpoint exactly what book I was reading or what tv shows I was watching at what times. Also, you know, art evolution. It's like "and this is where I realized collarbones exist".

it's also worthy to note I almost never drew things while at home? Drawing was something I did at school. so I've been feilling 80% of these sketchbooks during classes. non-art classes. I also keep a lot of used notebooks that weren't supposed to be sketchbooks because I kept drawing in them anyway. ACTUALLY i have hoards of papers everywhere because I can't throw them away because I drew on them and like the result. WOOPS

I have sketchbooks too! I got them last summer when I decided I wanted to learn how to draw. I have 7 of them, but number 1-6 are different books from book 7.

Icon drawn by Piney