Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409614 times)

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #4920 on: May 04, 2015, 11:17:37 AM »
Yeah, I actually credit my "Most Time Online" placement to just leaving a tab for the forum open whenever I'm on my computer... :P

Oh wow, I didn't know there IS a way to check those stats. Now I'm sort of worried just HOW did I manage to take the 5th line in "Most Time Online". Well, I check my bookmarks quite often, and then leave the tabs open for a time, maybe that's why. But it's still kind of weird concerning my low productivity rate. Speaking about silent lurkers... now I feel like a creep :P
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #4921 on: May 04, 2015, 11:19:50 AM »
I don't regret my ssss obsession either, like, okay sure it's all-consuming BUT i'm having lots of fun, making lots of things, and making lots of friends that don't find me too embarassing/annoying yet, so I'm all good

I suppose it could be a bad habit of opening a page, then doing something else forgetting it (Or how some friends tell me "Hey, you're always on fb !" as I'm at the other side of the house having a "normal" day.)
ah, yeah, definitely that kinda thing. I also have a compulsive habit of constantly opening tabs to check forum/tumblr/fb/doodleordie/whatever every minute I'm online? I want so badly to be an ethereal forestdweller free from the chains of society but my internet addiction is horrible

also I just realized the exam in two weeks can have questions about ANYTHING in art history between the renaissance period to now. It just hit me how mUCH we've been through this semester? Like what the actual heck. Just all of the different -isms in the past two centuries are enough to fill a semester, but then I open up my notebook and see the title "early renaissance in northern europe" and. Ha. Haha. Ha. This is going to go juuuust fiiineeee

you'll know where to find me.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #4922 on: May 04, 2015, 02:13:28 PM »
I couldn’t find a ‘weird stuff I saw today’ thread, so I’m just going to post it here.

This morning I thought I saw Death riding shotgun in a milk float.

That’s a sentence that requires some elaboration, so here goes: I was walking down from my house to the university campus this morning at about half seven/eight o’clock. The walk takes me over a humpback bridge, and as I was coming over the top I saw a milk float coming up the road towards me. Nothing odd about that, except I notice there’s someone in the passenger seat. Now that is odd – milkmen almost always drive around on their own (why would you even need two milkmen?). So I have a passing glance at this person in the passenger seat, my mind mostly on other things, and for a second I’m convinced it’s Death.

Whoever it is has got a paper-white stony face set in an utterly impassive gaze and is wearing a hooded black robe. They’re looking straight ahead, not moving a muscle. Of course, I quickly come to the conclusion that it’s not actually Death himself, but someone dressed up as him. This begs the obvious question of why are they riding shotgun in a milk float but hey, I’m not one to judge.

Except when the milk float draws nearer I see it’s not actually a person at all. The milkman, for reasons known only to himself, has tied a blank white Venetian-carnival-style mask to the headrest of the passenger seat. This, coupled with the black outline of the seat, was what I had thought was a hooded figure from further away. I walked the rest of the way to campus in a state halfway between confusion and hysterical laughter.

Tl;dr: come to England! Even our milkmen are frickin’ weird!
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4923 on: May 04, 2015, 02:44:19 PM »
I HAVE OFFICIALLY MADE IT THROUGH ONE YEAR OF COLLEGE

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Divra

« Reply #4924 on: May 04, 2015, 03:08:23 PM »

Congrats!

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #4925 on: May 04, 2015, 03:21:20 PM »

Yesss go you! :D

Tl;dr: come to England! Even our milkmen are frickin’ weird!

Slightly more accurate for me (hailing from the US and all) would be: Come to England! We actually still have milkmen!

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #4926 on: May 04, 2015, 03:28:22 PM »
Piney: CONGRATULATIONS

SectoBoss: haha wow. I had to search up what a milk float was, though, because I imagined it as some kinda.... floaty mist made out of milk that milk men ride on? idk how milk men work, we don't have them over here either

strangest thing I saw today was a person with some kinda scooter/bike-like vehicle dragged by a dog. the dog had tiny orange shoes

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #4927 on: May 04, 2015, 03:37:49 PM »
Congratulations ! :D
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #4928 on: May 04, 2015, 03:41:48 PM »
Except when the milk float draws nearer I see it’s not actually a person at all. The milkman, for reasons known only to himself, has tied a blank white Venetian-carnival-style mask to the headrest of the passenger seat. This, coupled with the black outline of the seat, was what I had thought was a hooded figure from further away. I walked the rest of the way to campus in a state halfway between confusion and hysterical laughter.
I guess I'm weird, too, then - I have a Guy Fawkes mask riding on my car's passenger seat's headrest in exactly the same way. 8)

(Then again, I'm not a milkman but actually helping to uphold customers' privacy protection in IT in my job.)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #4929 on: May 04, 2015, 03:41:59 PM »

Hoorah! Congrats! How many more left?
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #4930 on: May 04, 2015, 03:42:49 PM »

Good for you! :) Hope it went well

I had to search up what a milk float was, though, because I imagined it as some kinda.... floaty mist made out of milk that milk men ride on? idk how milk men work, we don't have them over here either

strangest thing I saw today was a person with some kinda scooter/bike-like vehicle dragged by a dog. the dog had tiny orange shoes

The basic idea is that you ring up the milk company and ask them to bring you x amount of milk every day, and then in the godless hours of the early morning a milkman shows up to your door in a fat golf buggy full of milk bottles and leaves the milk you asked for on your doorstep. This was back in the days before milk preserving technology was any good, so people just got it delivered fresh daily. They're kind of getting phased out nowadays because everyone just gets their milk from the supermarket.

Your idea of milkmen riding clouds of milk is much more fun, although if I'd seen that on the walk to campus I might have had a heart attack.

Also that thing where you type/read a word to many times and it starts to look weird is happening to me now with the word 'milk'.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4931 on: May 04, 2015, 03:52:55 PM »
Thanks guys!!

Hoorah! Congrats! How many more left?

Three - I hope they'll go more smoothly than this one!

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4932 on: May 04, 2015, 04:05:57 PM »

......apropos of nothing, I checked the forum statistics/member list and realized I'm #11 on having most posts on this forum?? WHAT THE ACTUAL HECK so much for "probably not gonna be that active". I went straight from being incredibly timid to boldly claim the iron throne in front of everyone. Im so embarassing hahahah

Yus, cheering you on. When a large majority of the members are primarily lurkers that community-carrying activity of yours is gold worth.

Also you're tenth in "Most Time Online", right? You haven't been on that long, how did you do this it's scary.

I'm not even on that list in spite of having been here since the start. Not sure it means much.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #4933 on: May 04, 2015, 04:08:18 PM »
I'm not even on that list in spite of having been here since the start. Not sure it means much.

Meanwhile the prize for the most comments goes to...
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #4934 on: May 04, 2015, 04:20:05 PM »
Yus, cheering you on. When a large majority of the members are primarily lurkers that community-carrying activity of yours is gold worth.
This community is giving me too much acknowledgement and it's addictive
....... but yeah you better brush up some fancy derelict airport for me to rule over. maybe Værnes, just so I can rename it 'Hell International Airport'

na na na taping the edges of my windowsill like a NORMAL PERSON
if anyone asks I'm not sure whether to answer it's because of the rash or because i'm scared of ants and I was hearing noises. what makes me sound the most sane