Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2388014 times)

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #4905 on: May 03, 2015, 06:40:17 PM »
You mean Halley's Comet? We're all gonna DIE! ;)
nah I mean that one still-staying orb, the hidey orb, the.... the... the Sun? is that the right word
you'll know where to find me.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4906 on: May 03, 2015, 06:42:58 PM »
What Fim said.  I am chock-full of opinions about all kinds of political issues, foreign and domestic.  But by and large I choose not to air them here because I support our being inclusive, friendly and open-minded, and opening some big geopolitical can of worms would hurt that atmosphere. 

I think we all welcome thoughtful discussion of relevant issues, as long as we're civil and respectful.  But to echo what Fim said, let's keep in mind that a lot of nationalities and political points of view are represented on this forum.  And as such, they're not "those guys," they're "us."

Just to reiterate: I'm not against those topics being discussed (although maybe that's what it sounded like in my hip-shot interjection), just be doubly careful with how you word your opinions. It's all too easy being misunderstood and accidentally offending someone when you had no such intentions at all.

You mean Halley's Comet? We're all gonna DIE! ;)
Or Haiz is going to be queen of Westeros.

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #4907 on: May 03, 2015, 06:52:03 PM »
Or Haiz is going to be queen of Westeros.
MAKE ROOM ON THE IRON THRONE, YOUR NEW.... queen? qing? kueen?? ROYAL RULER PERSON is here

dang, first thing I'll do when I come to power will be to create a lot of new words

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4908 on: May 03, 2015, 06:59:32 PM »
MAKE ROOM ON THE IRON THRONE, YOUR NEW.... queen? qing? kueen?? ROYAL RULER PERSON is here

dang, first thing I'll do when I come to power will be to create a lot of new words

Did you have this lying around or are you seriously that fast?

Also can I have the Night's Watch your grace?

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #4909 on: May 03, 2015, 07:01:37 PM »
Did you have this lying around or are you seriously that fast?

Also can I have the Night's Watch your grace?
........I had them lying around from a facebook argument back in november 2013. my facebook arguments can get......... intense

and yes. you can

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #4910 on: May 03, 2015, 07:02:14 PM »
AH HEY BRNO THAT'S MY CITY
That's funny, I have a friend who lives here :) I should visit someday...
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

BreezeLouise

« Reply #4911 on: May 03, 2015, 07:26:53 PM »
ah no, the Sky Orb was really nice today!! it was about..... maybe almost even 20 degrees celsius at its warmest?? whoa that's almost hard to believe... but either way it was REALLY NICE after having about 10c for these past weeks. I had to take of my jacket. IMAGINE THAT.

"been there before" pffffff, it's actually my second homeland *flashes dual set of citizenships*

Context: My mother is czech. my grandparents are czech. I'm half czech
I... let's see. I've gone to elementary school there a few months at the time, my closest childhood friend I've known literally all my life lives there, my usual hairdresser and dentist is over there, I buy most of my clothes and school supplies there...... I've also celebrated christmas+new years eve in Czech for almost every year of my life, and I tend to spend a lot of my summers there anyway, so not going to czech at all for one summer would be SO WEIRD.

the money part doesn't suck so much because I'm a spoiled privileged child that doesn't really need the money as much as I need work experience and to finally stop being so lazy

Whoa! You must have done something to earn the Great Orb's favor. Please share your secret with me!

Oh! That's really cool. The idea of dual citizenship has always been cool to me, I don't know why. And like, getting to travel all the time would be cool, too, even if it's between the same two places. (The flag in your signature might've been a good indicator that you'd at least been there before, I'm really smart)

I have actually traveled there before, but I was too young to remember (my parents were still referring to it as Czechoslovakia). I've seen lots of pictures and video, though, I'd love to go back sometime.

That's fair, job experience is important. And personally, it helped me be more active and feel better about myself.
Life is a state of mind.

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #4912 on: May 03, 2015, 09:46:31 PM »
I came, I saw, I devoured. Half a pan of overcooked red chicken enchiladas - favorite meal ever. I hope to gain a pound - some day I'll weigh a century *stares off into the middle distance, possibly at a star or a fast-approaching train*
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #4913 on: May 04, 2015, 02:20:40 AM »
*scratches head*

When I woke up today, the radio news claimed that some Finnish reservists had received letters telling them to prepare for "a possible case of war" and that the dpt of defense declined to comment on whether the activity had anything to do with Russia. Now that I have the Internet at my fingertips and can go looking for details ... nothing. Did the media have a hoax pulled back really fast, or should I have myself checked for hallucinations ... ?

The short version:  No, you weren't hallucinating.  But it was a routine notice misinterpreted by U.S. (and other) media.

--> On May 1, the Finnish army started sending out a mass mailing to 900,000 former military conscripts (now on reserve status -- i.e., practically all the able-bodied, military-aged male citizens), informing them what their post would be in a crisis situation.  Finland says this is a routine project in the works since 2013, mainly to confirm whether they have the correct mailing addresses for all the reservists.  The timing was a coincidence, not connected to any Russian activity.

--> As reported by Finnish broadcaster YLE, Newsweek, a U.S. magazine, published a story about this on May 1.  Newsweek got some facts wrong, and presented the mailing in the wrong context -- as a response to perceived threats from Russia.
The next day, the Finnish military's main spokesman rushed to correct Newsweek, and repeated that the mailing was purely routine.

Possibly more detail than anyone except JoB wanted.  But just in case you were wondering...
(Plus, it's a good case study for how inaccurate stories get into the news.  Far more often, it's sloppiness and/or jumping to conclusions rather than deliberate falsehood.  Says the former reporter.   ::)

"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #4914 on: May 04, 2015, 04:08:10 AM »
Whoa! You must have done something to earn the Great Orb's favor. Please share your secret with me!

Oh! That's really cool. The idea of dual citizenship has always been cool to me, I don't know why. And like, getting to travel all the time would be cool, too, even if it's between the same two places. (The flag in your signature might've been a good indicator that you'd at least been there before, I'm really smart)

I have actually traveled there before, but I was too young to remember (my parents were still referring to it as Czechoslovakia). I've seen lots of pictures and video, though, I'd love to go back sometime.

That's fair, job experience is important. And personally, it helped me be more active and feel better about myself.

The Ways of the Orb are shrouded in mystery. we can only pray to it and hope for the best

I travel around a lot, actually. Mostly because of my mom. Mom loves to travel - I guess growing up in communist czechoslovakia that only allows you to travel to yugoslavia does that to you.

......apropos of nothing, I checked the forum statistics/member list and realized I'm #11 on having most posts on this forum?? WHAT THE ACTUAL HECK so much for "probably not gonna be that active". I went straight from being incredibly timid to boldly claim the iron throne in front of everyone. Im so embarassing hahahah

Edit: apropos of real life. I have just discovered ants can creep into my room from under the window frame (my room is in the cellar and the window is on ground level), the ant that crawled on my wall just crept back...... this is the story of how I suddenly became brave enough to move out
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 06:20:24 AM by Haiz »

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4915 on: May 04, 2015, 09:38:41 AM »
......apropos of nothing, I checked the forum statistics/member list and realized I'm #11 on having most posts on this forum?? WHAT THE ACTUAL HECK so much for "probably not gonna be that active". I went straight from being incredibly timid to boldly claim the iron throne in front of everyone. Im so embarassing hahahah

Also you're tenth in "Most Time Online", right? You haven't been on that long, how did you do this it's scary.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #4916 on: May 04, 2015, 09:49:53 AM »
Also you're tenth in "Most Time Online", right? You haven't been on that long, how did you do this it's scary.

it IS scary
let's just say that I'm not very good at adapting to being a university student compared to high school student. I suddenly have a lot more free time I'm probably supposed to spend reading or working.... but alas I am a useless member of society with an addiction to a certain webcomic and not enough willpower to regulate my online activities

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #4917 on: May 04, 2015, 10:08:09 AM »
Eh things always sort themselves out in the end anyway so why bother?  ;)

( thats horrible advice, don't listen to me )

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #4918 on: May 04, 2015, 10:45:54 AM »
I suppose it could be a bad habit of opening a page, then doing something else forgetting it (Or how some friends tell me "Hey, you're always on fb !" as I'm at the other side of the house having a "normal" day.)

it IS scary
let's just say that I'm not very good at adapting to being a university student compared to high school student. I suddenly have a lot more free time I'm probably supposed to spend reading or working.... but alas I am a useless member of society with an addiction to a certain webcomic and not enough willpower to regulate my online activities
I've been asked "What do you do those last days ?" recently. Hum... which addiction ? ^^°
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4919 on: May 04, 2015, 11:04:53 AM »
I suppose it could be a bad habit of opening a page, then doing something else forgetting it (Or how some friends tell me "Hey, you're always on fb !" as I'm at the other side of the house having a "normal" day.)

Yeah, I actually credit my "Most Time Online" placement to just leaving a tab for the forum open whenever I'm on my computer... :P

it IS scary

Ahahaha SSSS stuff killed all of the (very little) free time I already had this year, but on the other hand I'm very grateful for it because it probably kept me from jumping out a window.......

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13: