Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387435 times)

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #4890 on: May 03, 2015, 05:09:37 PM »
Let's just ignore that we have several Russian forum users, choose the most divisive geopolitical issue next to the Palestine and proceed to point all the fingers why don't we? Surely the general mood can only benefit from that.

There's no rules saying you can't, but playing the international blame game tends to create a certain sour mood.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 05:14:29 PM by Fimbulwaffle »

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #4891 on: May 03, 2015, 05:15:16 PM »
Let's just ignore that we have several Russian forum users, choose the most divisive geopolitical issue next to the Palestine and proceed to point all the fingers why don't we? Surely the general mood can only benefit from that.
Hey, let's be nice here, hmm? (that goes for everybody else too)

Honestly, some of Russia's political actions worry me too, but so do some of the US's and a whole load of other countries.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #4892 on: May 03, 2015, 05:37:37 PM »
This is a general discussion, right? As far as i know, no strict rules apply to it other than behaving yourself and keeping family-friendly. But I also know about a certain practice in some communities: to avoid flaming polemics, such topics as politics and religion are left for the private discussions. I really don't want any clash of political views here, but even less I want forum participants to tolerate any administrative restrictions concerning choise of topics to discuss.

Just, please, keep in mind that nobody know absolute truth about what is going on in the world right now, thus nobody is able to make absolute statements about it. Sorry if it was too harsh.
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
« Reply #4893 on: May 03, 2015, 05:41:48 PM »
This is a general discussion, right? As far as i know, no strict rules apply to it other than behaving yourself and keeping family-friendly. But I also know about a certain practice in some communities: to avoid flaming polemics, such topics as politics and religion are left for the private discussions. I really don't want any clash of political views here, but even less I want forum participants to tolerate any administrative restrictions concerning choise of topics to discuss.

Just, please, keep in mind that nobody know absolute truth about what is going on in the world right now, thus nobody is able to make absolute statements about it. Sorry if it was too harsh.
[this is what I meant]
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

BreezeLouise

« Reply #4894 on: May 03, 2015, 05:46:15 PM »

There's no rules saying you can't, but playing the international blame game tends to create a certain sour mood.

You're right, I'm sorry. I should've known better. On top of that, too, GD is really not the place for this kind of thing. Maybe it's not against the rules, but it's common courtesy.

Anyway, no idea If I passed my classes this semester... it's kind of up in the air right now for a couple of them.  I got to my Fluid Dynamics final and thought, "What is any of this?  What have I even learned this semester?"  .__.  So, yeah.  Hopefully I passed it; I do not want to take that class again.  But... yeah.  Done. 

Fluid Dynamics can get pretty crazy, but I love it. God help me, I do love it so. What're you studying?
Life is a state of mind.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4895 on: May 03, 2015, 05:48:30 PM »

As pointed out there are no rules about what isn't allowed to be discussed on the forum in general and in this thread in particular. The only rule is to be civil. If you want to discuss geopolitics and international relations, go right ahead.

That being said, this community has been taking pride in in being inclusive, friendly and open-minded. Before you start talking (and I would personaly use the word scaremongering here) about "they" and "those guys" when referring to a nationality actually represented on the forum, take a moment to consider whether that is in the spirit of inclusiveness and friendliness.

I am no mod, this is an opinion and as such can be disregarded if you feel that it's completely unreasonable.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 05:52:42 PM by Fimbulwaffle »

BreezeLouise

« Reply #4896 on: May 03, 2015, 05:58:31 PM »
That being said, this community has been taking pride in in being inclusive, friendly and open-minded. Before you start talking (and I would personaly use the word scaremongering here) about "they" and "those guys" when referring to a nationality actually represented on the forum, take a moment to consider whether that is in the spirit of inclusiveness and friendliness.

I don't mean this as any kind of defense for myself, I just want to make something clear to maybe avoid some possible offense. I do have strong views about the Russian government (and I'm sorry for expressing them in such an awful way), but I just want to be clear that I don't have anything against Russians as a whole. I'm most certainly not going to make any judgments about anyone just because they're Russian.
Life is a state of mind.

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #4897 on: May 03, 2015, 06:00:21 PM »
..........so I saw the sky orb today

in other news my grandmother might try to get me a summerjob over in czech! it would have been pretty nice, even if the pay would be reduced to a third of its worth when/if converted to norwegian money. That doesn't mean I should stop trying to get a job over here, I just..... ugh....... adult stuff.......
you'll know where to find me.

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #4898 on: May 03, 2015, 06:03:42 PM »
Hey Fim you're being unfair! Russia's only the *third* most divisive current geopolitical issue: first Palestine, then Iran, and only then Russia :p
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

BreezeLouise

« Reply #4899 on: May 03, 2015, 06:17:32 PM »

in other news my grandmother might try to get me a summerjob over in czech! it would have been pretty nice, even if the pay would be reduced to a third of its worth when/if converted to norwegian money. That doesn't mean I should stop trying to get a job over here, I just..... ugh....... adult stuff.......

That's scary. Did it burn you? That's what it usually does to me.

Ooh, that could be cool! Have you been there before? Traveling would be neat, though the money part would really suck. (I totally understand, too, adult stuff is so haaard for some reason)
Life is a state of mind.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4900 on: May 03, 2015, 06:21:07 PM »
I don't mean this as any kind of defense for myself, I just want to make something clear to maybe avoid some possible offense. I do have strong views about the Russian government (and I'm sorry for expressing them in such an awful way), but I just want to be clear that I don't have anything against Russians as a whole. I'm most certainly not going to make any judgments about anyone just because they're Russian.

We'll chalk it up to an imprecise choice of wording then and say that all is well.

Hey Fim you're being unfair! Russia's only the *third* most divisive current geopolitical issue: first Palestine, then Iran, and only then Russia :p
There's division about Iran? I'll admit I hardly pay any attention to what's going on in the World at the moment.

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #4901 on: May 03, 2015, 06:27:24 PM »

Ah, Czech! Do you want to go there rather than stay in Norway?
My friend is currently studying there, in Brno, and also is looking for a job for the sake of not feeling lazy and useless :D I wish I could see her, but getting visa will take me so much time and money, it has all become so expensive this year :P
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #4902 on: May 03, 2015, 06:35:07 PM »
That's scary. Did it burn you? That's what it usually does to me.

Ooh, that could be cool! Have you been there before? Traveling would be neat, though the money part would really suck. (I totally understand, too, adult stuff is so haaard for some reason)
ah no, the Sky Orb was really nice today!! it was about..... maybe almost even 20 degrees celsius at its warmest?? whoa that's almost hard to believe... but either way it was REALLY NICE after having about 10c for these past weeks. I had to take of my jacket. IMAGINE THAT.

"been there before" pffffff, it's actually my second homeland *flashes dual set of citizenships*

Context: My mother is czech. my grandparents are czech. I'm half czech
I... let's see. I've gone to elementary school there a few months at the time, my closest childhood friend I've known literally all my life lives there, my usual hairdresser and dentist is over there, I buy most of my clothes and school supplies there...... I've also celebrated christmas+new years eve in Czech for almost every year of my life, and I tend to spend a lot of my summers there anyway, so not going to czech at all for one summer would be SO WEIRD.

the money part doesn't suck so much because I'm a spoiled privileged child that doesn't really need the money as much as I need work experience and to finally stop being so lazy

Ah, Czech! Do you want to go there rather than stay in Norway?
My friend is currently studying there, in Brno, and also is looking for a job for the sake of not feeling lazy and useless :D I wish I could see her, but getting visa will take me so much time and money, it has all become so expensive this year :P
AH HEY BRNO THAT'S MY CITY
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 06:37:08 PM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
« Reply #4903 on: May 03, 2015, 06:36:15 PM »
You mean Halley's Comet? We're all gonna DIE! ;)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #4904 on: May 03, 2015, 06:36:52 PM »
As pointed out there are no rules about what isn't allowed to be discussed on the forum in general and in this thread in particular. The only rule is to be civil. If you want to discuss geopolitics and international relations, go right ahead.

That being said, this community has been taking pride in in being inclusive, friendly and open-minded. Before you start talking ... about "they" and "those guys" when referring to a nationality actually represented on the forum, take a moment to consider whether that is in the spirit of inclusiveness and friendliness.

I am no mod, this is an opinion and as such can be disregarded if you feel that it's completely unreasonable.

What Fim said.  I am chock-full of opinions about all kinds of political issues, foreign and domestic.  But by and large I choose not to air them here because I support our being inclusive, friendly and open-minded, and opening some big geopolitical can of worms would hurt that atmosphere. 

I think we all welcome thoughtful discussion of relevant issues, as long as we're civil and respectful.  But to echo what Fim said, let's keep in mind that a lot of nationalities and political points of view are represented on this forum.  And as such, they're not "those guys," they're "us." 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany: