Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411285 times)

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #4845 on: April 30, 2015, 06:36:56 PM »
I hope this is not offtopic-What do you guys study to?(music)

John Cage's 4'33'' performed by my entourage, otherwise I can't work.
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #4846 on: April 30, 2015, 06:38:34 PM »
I hope this is not offtopic-What do you guys study to?(music)

Personally, I do soundtracks as well - specifically World of Goo and Transistor. Great for getting the brain going (at least for me).
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #4847 on: April 30, 2015, 06:59:03 PM »

I'm currently doing my hw, but I guess you guys would like to know I'm listening to the Bach Goldberg thing. (Also, I found a way to keep track of my numbers, which is one of my biggest problems. The bad thing is that it is time consuming why god why) And yes i will get right back to my hw after this jeez mom

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

BreezeLouise

« Reply #4848 on: April 30, 2015, 07:12:37 PM »
Soundtracks are a common pick for me, too, especially for something low-key that fits in the background. Silent Hill and Starbound have been my big two recently, and I'll always throw in some tracks from the Metroid Prime series.

I like classical a lot. You can't go wrong with Bach. I like Dvorak a lot, too, but I can understand if his stuff doesn't work as study music for you. For me, though, a lot of it is just involved enough to get me to sway a little and tap my feet, but not enough to actually be a distraction.
Life is a state of mind.

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #4849 on: April 30, 2015, 07:29:00 PM »
Wow, you guys are chatty today! (That's okay, talking is good.)

Ah, is the discussion about school? That explains it! At this point I'm just glad I don't have to deal with college quite yet, because for one, I don't think I'm at all mentally prepared to move out, I have no idea what I want to study beyond "something sciency," and my high school has 2,000 people and anything more than that sounds scary and confusing. For study music, I either like sound tracks like that of the How to Train Your Dragon movies or rain sounds.

Oh, and tomorrow's May. The entire month there will be a total of two days when students are not doing AP tests, SATs, finals, and/or state tests.

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
« Reply #4850 on: April 30, 2015, 07:41:46 PM »
Wow, you guys are chatty today! (That's okay, talking is good.)

Ah, is the discussion about school? That explains it! At this point I'm just glad I don't have to deal with college quite yet, because for one, I don't think I'm at all mentally prepared to move out, I have no idea what I want to study beyond "something sciency," and my high school has 2,000 people and anything more than that sounds scary and confusing. For study music, I either like sound tracks like that of the How to Train Your Dragon movies or rain sounds.

Oh, and tomorrow's May. The entire month there will be a total of two days when students are not doing AP tests, SATs, finals, and/or state tests.

Oh yeah. That. (I've been in cathloic school my whole life and I do not get this testing for most of the year thing at all.)

Also ye metric system users, is thing correct?

Kilometer
     V
Decimeter
     V
=======
Meter(middle ground)
=======
     V
Centimeter
     V
Millimeter

Icon drawn by Piney

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4851 on: April 30, 2015, 07:44:46 PM »
Oh yeah. That. (I've been in cathloic school my whole life and I do not get this testing for most of the year thing at all.)

Kilometer
     V
Decimeter
     V
=======
Meter(middle ground)
=======
     V
Centimeter
     V
Millimeter

No, a decimeter is 1/10 of a meter.

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #4852 on: April 30, 2015, 07:45:42 PM »

Kilometer
     V
Decimeter
     V
=======
Meter(middle ground)
=======
     V
Centimeter
     V
Millimeter
Almost. Hectometer and dekameter are between km and m, and decimeter is between m and cm -- 1/10th of a meter, 10 cm.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #4853 on: April 30, 2015, 07:49:20 PM »
I'm thinking of moving the "music to study by" posts to their own thread on the Gen'l Discussion board -- just so they don't get lost in the shuffle here.  I'd only move threads that don't include discussion of other topics (like homework).

I could put them in the existing Music thread, but there's *so much* good stuff there already, people might find a separate thread handy. 

What do you think?
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #4854 on: April 30, 2015, 07:51:02 PM »
Eh. Do it only if it becomes recurring. Once we have exhausted our personal suggestions I don't think this will go much further.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4855 on: April 30, 2015, 07:52:54 PM »
Almost.  Wikipedia says "Decameter" = 10 meters; "Decimeter" = .1 meter or 10 centimeters.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orders_of_magnitude_(length)

Also, I've never seen anyone use "decameter" as a unit of measurement.  For lengths, it always seems to go straight from meters (for something up to, say, a room or house) to kilometers (road races, distances to another town, etc.)  But maybe that shows up on your test?

I thought it was spelled "dekameter" to be less confusing...?

I've only ever used those in-between measurements for schoolwork - had to learn the whole kilo-, hecto-, deka-, deci-, centi-, milli- stuff.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
« Reply #4856 on: April 30, 2015, 08:01:06 PM »
So the only thing I did was mispell dekameter?

(also about this whole new world thread thing, we could make a thread about school stuff)

Icon drawn by Piney

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4857 on: April 30, 2015, 08:04:04 PM »

I thought it was spelled "dekameter" to be less confusing...?

I've only ever used those in-between measurements for schoolwork - had to learn the whole kilo-, hecto-, deka-, deci-, centi-, milli- stuff.

For deka/hekto most people just use 10/100 meters. The need for dedicated units for those isn't really there. Same goes for weight, people call it "100 grams" rather than "1 hekto".

BreezeLouise

« Reply #4858 on: April 30, 2015, 08:11:34 PM »
I've used centimeters just as often as meters, personally. When you're cutting a small piece of metal, I find it's easier to use centimeters than meters. For stuff on paper, though, I do tend to just use meters and kilometers almost exclusively.

Also, I am American, but I'm trying to get myself off of the imperial system for stuff like that. I like metric a lot more. It just makes a lot more sense to me. I'm probably never gonna have the luxury of being done with it forever, sadly, but I like to avoid it where I can.
Life is a state of mind.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4859 on: April 30, 2015, 08:19:56 PM »
I've used centimeters just as often as meters, personally. When you're cutting a small piece of metal, I find it's easier to use centimeters than meters. For stuff on paper, though, I do tend to just use meters and kilometers almost exclusively.

Also, I am American, but I'm trying to get myself off of the imperial system for stuff like that. I like metric a lot more. It just makes a lot more sense to me. I'm probably never gonna have the luxury of being done with it forever, sadly, but I like to avoid it where I can.
Centimeters and millimeters are ubiquitous units, everyone uses them. Using meters for anything smaller than a meter is really situational. Like "a 0.8 m plank". More decimals than that would be utterly pointless.