Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387914 times)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #4830 on: April 30, 2015, 03:29:46 PM »
I hope you could at least have an explanation for that :-\ Do you have any other kind of aid, in US ? It's so different in France that we could have felt a bit guilty and a lot lucky as students, hearing about the cost of only one year.

College is expensive because of capitalism and capitalism is good because reasons.   ;)

In all seriousness, college isn't seen (at the federal level) as a public good worth paying for, beyond a patchy system of individual student grants and low-interest loans.  It's very much "everyone for him/herself." 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4831 on: April 30, 2015, 05:08:29 PM »
So you received the letter - it stated the amount you received, and there was no explanation as to what decided that amount?
Is this money you get through the school or an external source?

It's one school award, two federal loans, and federal work study which technically isn't scholarship money. :P

Well, maybe it's time to a) invent a new designer drug *dodges boot* or b) consider a study exchange in Scandinavia where tuition is as good as free?

Ohoho I am not emotionally prepared to live outside of the country; I can hardly do it living six hours from home.

Ooh, ooh, A, I vote A!

As far as B goes... is it still that cheap for people who aren't citizens (and thus don't pay taxes)? Gotta say though, if you've got $10k to lose in financial aid you ipso facto have more than I ever got. Mind, I went to a small state college in the mountains where $10k would've gotten me through four years including room and board. :P

"Total Estimated Cost of Attendance: $59,988"
I'll still have to be paying ~$41,000 of that.

I hope you could at least have an explanation for that :-\ Do you have any other kind of aid, in US ? It's so different in France that we could have felt a bit guilty and a lot lucky as students, hearing about the cost of only one year.

If I remember correctly from last year, I /am/ going to get an updated version of the letter in like a month or two, where they'll prooobably give me a little bit more. There are always outside scholarships, but I've never been able to get any of those and they're often only around $1,000 which doesn't help me too much in the long run...

Also, clarification
: I'm going to this college specifically because they had the major I wanted and it's a very uncommon major. I would never be going to school in New York City otherwise.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #4832 on: April 30, 2015, 05:15:50 PM »
Whoaaa.... aleph-null, dude.  Mystic.  How in Cantor's name did you get the Forum to do that?
Asking that question seems to have answered it.  I didn't realize Wikimedia had symbols of infinity for, like, just anybody to use.
Well, I did try to copy-paste a Unicode aleph (actually spelt "alef" there) instead of including the whole combo as an [img], but that one came complete with the script direction getting changed to right-to-left (RTL) and I couldn't figure out how to get everything into the proper order ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #4833 on: April 30, 2015, 05:34:10 PM »
I hope this is not offtopic-What do you guys study to?(music)

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4834 on: April 30, 2015, 05:37:31 PM »
This is general discussion, there is no off topic. Only major banter and corporal carnage.

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #4835 on: April 30, 2015, 06:02:49 PM »
@ Piney

60 000$ US a year?

My face just contracted as if I licked a lemon.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #4836 on: April 30, 2015, 06:06:40 PM »

Planned major:Aerospase engineering
Double minor: mechanical engineering and graphic design.

Yes, I'm a geeky mathy, introverted kinda-smart person.
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

BreezeLouise

« Reply #4837 on: April 30, 2015, 06:08:57 PM »

It depends on what I'm in the mood for. Sometimes I prefer something low-key to help me focus, and other times I like to rock out and make it as much fun as possible (and sometimes I just put The A-Team on in the background). It depends on what I'm studying, too. If it's something I'm really interested in, I tend to go for something more low-key, since the material is fun enough. If it's something I don't enjoy very much, though, I'd rather put on BRMC or something so I can still enjoy myself.
Life is a state of mind.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4838 on: April 30, 2015, 06:13:37 PM »
@ Piney

60 000$ US a year?

My face just contracted as if I licked a lemon.

I know, right. This year was $57K.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #4839 on: April 30, 2015, 06:15:14 PM »
Planned major:Aerospase engineering
Double minor: mechanical engineering and graphic design.

Yes, I'm a geeky mathy, introverted kinda-smart person.

I want to become a journalist. Or maybe a novelist. (I am not brave enough for either of these things but whatevs.)

I'm an extroverted art person who is currently failing math!(Yeah I know its not a good thing thats why I asked what music do you guys study to because I am going to study for once in my life.)

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

BreezeLouise

« Reply #4840 on: April 30, 2015, 06:18:36 PM »
I'm an extroverted art person who is currently failing math!(Yeah I know its not a good thing thats why I asked what music do you guys study to because I am going to study for once in my life.)

Oh, do you want specific recommendations? What kind of music do you like?
Life is a state of mind.

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #4841 on: April 30, 2015, 06:20:38 PM »
Soundtracks are really good to study to! I work pretty well to the Pacific Rim soundtrack
you'll know where to find me.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #4842 on: April 30, 2015, 06:22:00 PM »
I want to become a journalist. Or maybe a novelist. (I am not brave enough for either of these things but whatevs.)

I used to be a journalist.  It's a lot of fun, and serves society, but the pay is crummy.  Just putting that out there...

Anyway, I need something very *non*-involving because I can't really multi-task when I'm doing something that needs mental brainpower.  (Unlike all you millennials, I guess...)  It also has to be familiar or I'd be listening too intently to pay attention to what I'm doing.

The music that works for me is Bach.  So elegant and mathematical.  Especially something that's slightly repetitive, like the Goldberg Variations.  I also like his 6 Suites for Solo Cello and the Brandenburg Concertos.  Orchestral arrangements of his chorales (e.g. "Sleepers Awake" or "See What His Love Can Do") are also nice backgrounds for me.

I also use playlists of New Age-y and ambient music, "Celtic Meditation Music," and "The Healing Harp." 

I can share links to these if you're interested.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #4843 on: April 30, 2015, 06:26:09 PM »

Oopies. I thought you meant area of study. As for music ten hour extended tracks of video game music, LoZ:Ocarina of Time's temple of time makes a great study track.
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #4844 on: April 30, 2015, 06:32:50 PM »

I find music to be almost over-simulating to study so I try to avoid it.

Like take the aforementioned soundtrack for Pacific Rim - that's good if I want like... I dunno, write or draw, but for actual reading I would have to first suppress my imagination to actual do the reading in the first place.
(I mean, the Main Theme and Category 5 are so goddamn good - like dang)

What I tend to favour are certain varieties of ASMR videos - mostly ones with soft and repetitive sounds. It becomes good background noise that doesn't intrude. It relaxes and lets me focus instead of mindwalking.

@ Sunflower
If you like The Goldberg Variations, I would be interested in how you feel about this version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2YMSt3yfko
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...