Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410977 times)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #3900 on: March 11, 2015, 01:05:48 PM »
When a job sounds almost too good to be true be very, very certain to get a written contract that specifies your base salary! I don't want to be that paranoid one but "too good to be true" is often too good to be true, somehow...

Of course it's entirely possible it'll be awesome and then I can go sit in a corner and make myself a tin foil hat and feel massively silly.  :D
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #3901 on: March 11, 2015, 01:32:01 PM »
I also think it is a good idea to try it out if you make sure the payment is as good as promised and you can quit easily - both should be stated in a contract. :)
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #3902 on: March 11, 2015, 02:46:29 PM »
Thanks for the support guys kinda been wobly and this really helps  :)

I should get a call in friday to set things up and he proposed i would start the rehersal period by next wednesday/thursday so i guess i will be updating more by then.

Bloody hell im thrilled now. Let's hope this is indeed the golden chance and hey i guess it's going to be work experience regardless of what happens *shrugs*

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #3903 on: March 12, 2015, 09:52:20 AM »
Yeah, I just booked a super-short trip by ferry to Göteborg in April  ;D
We'll only have about eight hours in the city, but it was really cheap and I'm also looking forward to the boat ride. Any recommendations on what to visit in Göteborg?
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3904 on: March 12, 2015, 01:34:19 PM »
4 awesome things have happened today. 
1) I got my thermodynamics test back, and I didn't fail it.
2) Thermo class was just a review of the test, and not any actual learning, so we got out early.
3) Lab was cancelled, so I only had one class.
4) I talked with university housing, and won a negotiation for the first time in my life.  Like - definitively - won, 100% the outcome I desired.  I went in there with my roommate, told them what they did wrong, got some friendly advice, kept pushing them, and managed to get out of paying a cancellation fee if I need to cancel.  Normally it's a few hundred dollars if you cancel a housing contract, but I can do it for freeeeeeee.  I feel empowered! 
Feel free to PM.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3905 on: March 12, 2015, 03:28:30 PM »
4) I talked with university housing, and won a negotiation for the first time in my life.  Like - definitively - won, 100% the outcome I desired.  I went in there with my roommate, told them what they did wrong, got some friendly advice, kept pushing them, and managed to get out of paying a cancellation fee if I need to cancel.  Normally it's a few hundred dollars if you cancel a housing contract, but I can do it for freeeeeeee.  I feel empowered!

Awesomely empowered Eich is awesome.  And powerful.  Good for you!  I'm never good at negotiating either, but it's surprising how many things will yield to a combination of facts, politeness, and persistence.  Great job!
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #3906 on: March 12, 2015, 08:04:01 PM »
2) Thermo class was just a review of the test, and not any actual learning, so we got out early.
HECK YEAH! Go Eich!
Was this negotiation about being able to room with the friend you actually wanted and requested to room with? If so, YAY! (also, that would mean no more noisy..uh..noise next door, haha finally some peace and quiet)
[...] It's surprising how many things will yield to a combination of facts, politeness, and persistence.  Great job!
Yes yes! *nods*
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #3907 on: March 12, 2015, 09:34:13 PM »

Yeaaah!

Negotiations are one of the many, many things I should be working on. Persistence and politeness, go!

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3908 on: March 13, 2015, 12:59:54 PM »
Spring Break.  I really needed this one.
To home with me.
Feel free to PM.

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3909 on: March 13, 2015, 01:17:38 PM »

Woo! Congrats Eich! (Hey look, I'm actually talking in the GDT.)
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3910 on: March 13, 2015, 02:16:36 PM »
To home with me.
Never heard of "spring break". There was a "winter break" a few weeks back though.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
« Reply #3911 on: March 13, 2015, 03:20:13 PM »
To home with me.
My spring break was last week. :'( I miss itttt, it was too early.

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY: I just won a huge chocolate bar for counterfeiting a Seurat:

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3912 on: March 13, 2015, 03:22:18 PM »

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY: I just won a huge chocolate bar for counterfeiting a Seurat:

Counterfeiting? Seurat? What?

So is pound plus the American term for a kilo?

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
« Reply #3913 on: March 13, 2015, 03:36:14 PM »
Counterfeiting? Seurat? What?

So is pound plus the American term for a kilo?

The assignment was to counterfeit a modern-day Georges Seurat drawing (ex.) of New York at night, for a prize. The class voted on which was the best. (mine)

A pound is the American equivalent of a kilo (like, equal to 0.4 kilos); this specific chocolate bar I'm guessing is called a Pound Plus because it weighs 1.1 pounds.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #3914 on: March 13, 2015, 03:40:39 PM »

Oh hey, we used to get those chocolate bars when we mass-produced cookies for Christmas. (Like, several of them...) That is the strangest thing-to-be-rewarded-with-chocolate-for-doing I have heard of, though.