Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387497 times)

mad robin

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #3855 on: March 09, 2015, 09:30:45 AM »
Oh, great! I missed all the fun again!
Two days in the countryside, away from people (I don't think my nephews can be called human beings, they are little monsters) - it was hard. But look-look-look what I found in an old magazine! (Yes, I was SO bored).
Of course I haven't guessed to take a picture of the whole article, but probably this is not necessary. This is just a small (but very positive) review. There is a great possibility that someone from russian members have mentioned about it, but for me this article came as a surprise.

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #3856 on: March 09, 2015, 09:35:13 AM »
Do you think that Minna knows that acomics is hosting a Russian translation of SSSS?

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3857 on: March 09, 2015, 10:15:52 AM »
Do you think that Minna knows that acomics is hosting a Russian translation of SSSS?
She's allowed people to translate her work.  There was a group translating aRTD, as well. 
Feel free to PM.

mad robin

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3858 on: March 09, 2015, 10:22:04 AM »
Yes, of course, Minna gave permission for the translation

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #3859 on: March 09, 2015, 10:22:41 AM »
She's allowed people to translate her work.  There was a group translating aRTD, as well.

The current translator has been allowed to make a translation by Minna herself, and that is not a group of people, but a single person. aRTD has been translated partially and then froze, so the same person took up that one, too. Don't worry, everything is legal  :)
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #3860 on: March 09, 2015, 10:24:45 AM »
I know that, but isn't acomics run for profit?

curiosity

• Scout
« Reply #3861 on: March 09, 2015, 10:26:40 AM »
I know that, but isn't acomics run for profit?

Translators gain no profit. Acomics only gains money via advertising, so it can pay the bills (or whatever it is called in the net). That's why they ask not to block the ads  :P
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #3862 on: March 09, 2015, 10:35:32 AM »
I wasn't questioning the translator.  Just wondering whether acomics owes Minna some ad revenue.

curiosity

• Scout
« Reply #3863 on: March 09, 2015, 10:42:17 AM »
I wasn't questioning the translator.  Just wondering whether acomics owes Minna some ad revenue.

And why should it? Web-comics are in free access, and since the people whom they belong to gave a permission to repost them on other resources (that gain no profit from doing so), no revenue required.

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #3864 on: March 09, 2015, 10:55:04 AM »
Well if acomics was being run for profit, then it would be gaining ad revenue from the hosting of SSSS.  As such it is the norm to grant the creator a portion if you are making money out of their work.

curiosity

• Scout
« Reply #3865 on: March 09, 2015, 11:06:05 AM »
Well if acomics was being run for profit, then it would be gaining ad revenue from the hosting of SSSS.  As such it is the norm to grant the creator a portion if you are making money out of their work.

Since the ads on that site are the ads of third party's resources, and no money is made from posting author's work there, all those payment relations exist between the site and the third parties. Also, those are used solely to pay for hosting and maintain the site. And if the site had trespassed anything, it would have been banned a long time ago, for they have a lot of works here. No need to panic, none of our dear creator's rights are bent or broken  ;)
(Gosh, I should really revise legal terminology in English, I just can't find the right translation)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 11:17:28 AM by curiosity »

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #3866 on: March 09, 2015, 11:24:35 AM »
Well ads in general are from third party sources so that alone would not exempt them from owing the creator.  However if she has given out permission for people to re-host the comic and they aren't turning a profit (is there a page on the site that states as such?) then I suppose all is well.

(Yes the language barrier can be awkward when it comes to things such as legal and scientific terms.)

DzigaWatt

• Just 5 more mins
« Reply #3867 on: March 09, 2015, 01:03:15 PM »
For the ones that helped me develop her, here's Ulrika :D Have I mentioned how much I love you all? :3
can discuss the meaning of life:
like a second mother-language:
won't starve:
dATumblr

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #3868 on: March 09, 2015, 01:15:37 PM »
their is a slight similiraty to tombraider but only in the most possible way ;).

as for the law debate... anybody into european inheritance law? ok just joking, there is not such a thing (yet), at least no authority who controlls everything happening at europe yet I want to shake my head in wonder about what tasks bouraucracy (eh that looks so wrong) holds for us.

But yay sun and warmth have returned to our region
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #3869 on: March 09, 2015, 02:07:50 PM »
I guess she got a lot of tweets about it?
One day, the accumulated wisdom of Minna Sundberg will be published in print, and it will say "there's no shitstorm worse than when you post too early!" ::)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15