Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387832 times)

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #3720 on: March 02, 2015, 09:53:16 PM »
Studying is not going well at all.  Today sucks. 
My brain is... just not making connections like it normally does, right now.  Hopefully I'll be better by tomorrow morning's test.

Also I may have failed the test I had this morning.
Today really sucks.
Maybe we need a venting thread...
Maybe we do O___O but I'm not sure sure it would be a very happy place...

Third year (third year?) is the hardest Eich -___- 1st is a piece of cake, 2nd is a challenge and third....stuff gets real in third -__-

Do they have any type of study groups at your uni? We have peer assisted study sessions (PASS) here...but I think they're just for first year which sucks cos they're kinda useful ;m;
Whyyyyyyy third year whyyyyyyy
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3721 on: March 02, 2015, 10:21:46 PM »
Maybe we do O___O but I'm not sure sure it would be a very happy place...

Third year (third year?) is the hardest Eich -___- 1st is a piece of cake, 2nd is a challenge and third....stuff gets real in third -__-

Do they have any type of study groups at your uni? We have peer assisted study sessions (PASS) here...but I think they're just for first year which sucks cos they're kinda useful ;m;
Whyyyyyyy third year whyyyyyyy
I partnered up with one of the smartest people I know, for studying.  He also works harder at school than any American I know, so he keeps me (somewhat) diligent.
Also I just ate some Chinese food, and now I feel disappointed.  My body just wants to stop everything for the day, but I need to finish my equation sheet... stupid diesel cycle...

Honestly, I'm just not satisfied with education.  My whole life I felt pressured to do well in it because... it was just the thing you had to do.  And now I'm mad.  Why should I have to do well at anything?  (Obviously I need to do well at things... I'm just... using bad rhetoric)  It just kinda feels silly now, and I think I just picked engineering because I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life (*Still doesn't anyway* ), but I knew I could do it, so why not?  *deep sigh*
I just-  I need to sleep.

Sooo... I went online to apply for campus housing for next year, and apparently all the rooms in all but one building are sold out... and I'm kind of panicking because the one left is the super-expensive far-away-from-everything building that I can't afford and I seriously don't know what to do aaaaah *collapses onto floor*  (okay, actually panicking maybe)
Oh yeah, that too.  I signed up for on-campus housing with my current roommate, but these jackasses at housing signed us up for different locations, despite the fact that we requested to room together.  We emailed them about it, and they had the nerve to respond, "You can either cancel, or retry before the 72 hour time limit has passed."  Guess when they sent out the email... It was at 72.01 hours. 
*Combusts*
Feel free to PM.

Eris

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Lady of Chaos
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3722 on: March 02, 2015, 10:26:53 PM »
Sooo... I went online to apply for campus housing for next year, and apparently all the rooms in all but one building are sold out... and I'm kind of panicking because the one left is the super-expensive far-away-from-everything building that I can't afford and I seriously don't know what to do aaaaah *collapses onto floor*  (okay, actually panicking maybe)
Call your university housing office and ask them for suggestions? Consider off campus housing with busing (my University had free busing for students; you just had to go to the student affairs office to get a free pass)? Take out additional student loans to pay for the stupidly expensive housing? Look for off campus housing that is still close enough to campus to walk (some "off campus" housing is really as close as "on campus" housing)? I dunno, I'm just pulling these out of thin air here. I don't suppose you have car or have the ability to get a hold of one (I didn't; some of my peers did)? I knew a guy who pulled living off campus with a bicycle, although that seems extreme to me (really; we hit -20F here. How he cycled in that is beyond me).

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3723 on: March 02, 2015, 11:03:11 PM »
Call your university housing office and ask them for suggestions? Consider off campus housing with busing (my University had free busing for students; you just had to go to the student affairs office to get a free pass)? Take out additional student loans to pay for the stupidly expensive housing? Look for off campus housing that is still close enough to campus to walk (some "off campus" housing is really as close as "on campus" housing)? I dunno, I'm just pulling these out of thin air here. I don't suppose you have car or have the ability to get a hold of one (I didn't; some of my peers did)? I knew a guy who pulled living off campus with a bicycle, although that seems extreme to me (really; we hit -20F here. How he cycled in that is beyond me).
I've emailed them and my mom was going to call tomorrow, but it's spring break now so it's unlikely that I'll hear back before the deadline to apply for housing is (next Tuesday, IIRC). I'm not comfortable living off-campus yet, it... I dunno, it stresses me out. (and there isn't free busing because it's not like people even live near each other. The only bus we have is the campus shuttle.) Taking out another student loan just wouldn't be a good idea, most of my financial aid is loans and my family's paying for three college tuitions at once. (I live in New York City, a double room in the building I was talking about is $15,200 a school year. Finding an affordable apartment in Manhattan is honestly impossible, and if there was one in walking distance from the school, another student's bound to have already claimed it by now. See my problem?)

EDIT: and there is a waiting list, but apparently I have to sign up for a room in grossly-expensive building first, and I just know it's going to be complicated and I don't want to end up there.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 11:10:28 PM by Piney »

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3724 on: March 02, 2015, 11:10:01 PM »
I've emailed them and my mom was going to call tomorrow, but it's spring break now so it's unlikely that I'll hear back before the deadline to apply for housing is (next Tuesday, IIRC). I'm not comfortable living off-campus yet, it... I dunno, it stresses me out. (and there isn't free busing because it's not like people even live near each other. The only bus we have is the campus shuttle.) Taking out another student loan just wouldn't be a good idea, most of my financial aid is loans and my family's paying for three college tuitions at once. (I live in New York City, a double room in the building I was talking about is $15,200 a school year. Finding an affordable apartment in Manhattan is honestly impossible, and if there was one in walking distance from the school, another student's bound to have already claimed it by now. See my problem?)
I'm not really comfortable living off-campus yet, either, but I might have to.  Are there any reliable subway routes with somewhat close living quarters (my brain turned English for a moment and said "underground," instead of "subway")? 
Feel free to PM.

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3725 on: March 02, 2015, 11:25:44 PM »
I'm not really comfortable living off-campus yet, either, but I might have to.  Are there any reliable subway routes with somewhat close living quarters (my brain turned English for a moment and said "underground," instead of "subway")?

Well sure there are, but subways = another thing to pay for. Also, transporting art on the subways?? I've never done it but I hope to never have to do it. (though the bigger problem might be that there aren't any subway routes that go near the school buildings I'll be using next year)

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #3726 on: March 03, 2015, 12:55:39 AM »
I partnered up with one of the smartest people I know, for studying.  He also works harder at school than any American I know, so he keeps me (somewhat) diligent.
Also I just ate some Chinese food, and now I feel disappointed.  My body just wants to stop everything for the day, but I need to finish my equation sheet... stupid diesel cycle...

Honestly, I'm just not satisfied with education.  My whole life I felt pressured to do well in it because... it was just the thing you had to do.  And now I'm mad.  Why should I have to do well at anything?  (Obviously I need to do well at things... I'm just... using bad rhetoric)  It just kinda feels silly now, and I think I just picked engineering because I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life (*Still doesn't anyway* ), but I knew I could do it, so why not?  *deep sigh*
I just-  I need to sleep.
Oh yeah, that too.  I signed up for on-campus housing with my current roommate, but these jackasses at housing signed us up for different locations, despite the fact that we requested to room together.  We emailed them about it, and they had the nerve to respond, "You can either cancel, or retry before the 72 hour time limit has passed."  Guess when they sent out the email... It was at 72.01 hours. 
*Combusts*
That's good that you have that smart guy as a type of 'example' :) (how are people that studious?!) and take away -I'm assuming- Chinese food does tend to have that effect ;P

I feel kinda the same about education, and 'having' to do it...like..I don't think there's anything else I'm "good" at, it's just something I've always had to do and people expect me to do well in it -__- And you just end up questioning the point of it all. People say that kids doing an arts degree don't know what to do with their lives, hence the art degree. So you're not alone there :) (awkwardly glances at "BA-BFA" on student ID card)
After nearly every Vis Comms lesson, I go home and carry on about how I'm so out of my league and that I never really intended to go into design, let alone THIS FAR into design, and I cry for ages. Then I realise that I'm in third year: the final vis comms year, and leaving now would be a waste of time and money, (hence my goal to make all my classes count in my degree. Cos I'm stingy haha) and that if I can't quit, at least I get a qualification at the end like some sort of consolation prize :P then, I can do whatever the flip I want.
To me, engineering sounds pretty tough, but I think you can do it if you've already come this far~ *belief-sparkles fly everywhere and cheesy banner falls from the sky* unless stuff really hits the fan...which it hasn't. I hope.

Agh, those housing guys are a bunch of //Owl cannot say these words on the Forum//

:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #3727 on: March 03, 2015, 04:31:34 AM »
Honestly, I'm just not satisfied with education.  My whole life I felt pressured to do well in it because... it was just the thing you had to do.  And now I'm mad.  Why should I have to do well at anything?  (Obviously I need to do well at things... I'm just... using bad rhetoric)  It just kinda feels silly now, and I think I just picked engineering because I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life (*Still doesn't anyway* ), but I knew I could do it, so why not?

I can understand that, I took a biology degree because it was the subject I was best at and I didn't want to be the only one in the market without a degree.  Looking back it may have been a mistake, but that is just something that you have to live with.

I'm not really comfortable living off-campus yet, either, but I might have to.

What is the issue with living off campus?  I realise that it is a different situation for every location and university, but I loved my time in private accommodation.

Agh, those housing guys are a bunch of //Owl cannot say these words on the Forum//

Say them anyway, thats what the censor is there for.  Plus its good relief to just let the stress out.

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #3728 on: March 03, 2015, 07:37:43 AM »
Hi guys, I'm not dead.
I've just had a few emotinally unstable months, and then I felt bad for not being here for a while, and then that lead me to not dropping in because of guilt. *Deep sigh*
Anyways, I decided that was a stupid thing to feel guilty about, so now I'm back. I have a lot to catch up on.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

Eris

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Lady of Chaos
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3729 on: March 03, 2015, 09:44:45 AM »
Hi guys, I'm not dead.
I've just had a few emotinally unstable months, and then I felt bad for not being here for a while, and then that lead me to not dropping in because of guilt. *Deep sigh*
Anyways, I decided that was a stupid thing to feel guilty about, so now I'm back. I have a lot to catch up on.
*hugs*

I know exactly how you feel. I have done that many, many times. More than I can count, actually. Welcome back!

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3730 on: March 03, 2015, 11:22:00 AM »
Hi guys, I'm not dead.
Aw, Cat!  You're always welcome here.  :) 
Don't start feeling guilty about taking time for your own needs; we all get it.  I hope you're feeling a little better, now!

That's good that you have that smart guy as a type of 'example' :) (how are people that studious?!) and take away -I'm assuming- Chinese food does tend to have that effect ;P

I feel kinda the same about education, and 'having' to do it...like..I don't think there's anything else I'm "good" at, it's just something I've always had to do and people expect me to do well in it -__- And you just end up questioning the point of it all. People say that kids doing an arts degree don't know what to do with their lives, hence the art degree. So you're not alone there :) (awkwardly glances at "BA-BFA" on student ID card)
After nearly every Vis Comms lesson, I go home and carry on about how I'm so out of my league and that I never really intended to go into design, let alone THIS FAR into design, and I cry for ages. Then I realise that I'm in third year: the final vis comms year, and leaving now would be a waste of time and money, (hence my goal to make all my classes count in my degree. Cos I'm stingy haha) and that if I can't quit, at least I get a qualification at the end like some sort of consolation prize :P then, I can do whatever the flip I want.
To me, engineering sounds pretty tough, but I think you can do it if you've already come this far~ *belief-sparkles fly everywhere and cheesy banner falls from the sky* unless stuff really hits the fan...which it hasn't. I hope.

I'm pretty sure I just failed my first thermo test, as well.  I just blanked on about 70% of the material.  Strangely, I know I did the last part of every problem correctly... it's the easy, foundational, super-important stuff that I forgot.  NOW ON TO HOMEWORK AND LAB REPORT. 

What is the issue with living off campus?  I realise that it is a different situation for every location and university, but I loved my time in private accommodation.
I just don't like driving, and I don't want to take the time to learn parking routes and new departure times.  Plus, walking to class is about the only exercise I get, and I'd rather not give it up.  Goodness knows I'm not about to start working out again anytime soon.  Oh, and the parking services people here are evil...  Pure evil.  They give out tickets like candy at a birthday party, and there are way too many different colored parking spots to keep track of.  The school makes quite a bit of money on parking tickets. 
Feel free to PM.

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #3731 on: March 03, 2015, 11:25:55 AM »
Hi guys, I'm not dead.

*hugs Kitty and doesn't let her go* I'm so glad you're back! And I'm also sorry that you haven't been feeling well... unfortunately I can't do more than sending virtual hugs and digital cups of hot chocolate via internet to Norway... But I'm really glad you're alive and back with us!
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #3732 on: March 03, 2015, 11:43:31 AM »
I just don't like driving, and I don't want to take the time to learn parking routes and new departure times.  Plus, walking to class is about the only exercise I get, and I'd rather not give it up.  Goodness knows I'm not about to start working out again anytime soon.  Oh, and the parking services people here are evil...  Pure evil.  They give out tickets like candy at a birthday party, and there are way too many different colored parking spots to keep track of.  The school makes quite a bit of money on parking tickets. 

Ah well, like I was saying it is a different situation everywhere.  When I lived in private I still walked to my university.  Plus given the ridiculously steep hill it was at the top of and doing it twice a day stopped me putting on too much weight.  (Having left university and stopped smoking this is sadly no longer the case :( )

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #3733 on: March 03, 2015, 11:50:27 AM »
Aw, Cat!  You're always welcome here.  :) 
Don't start feeling guilty about taking time for your own needs; we all get it.  I hope you're feeling a little better, now!
*hugs*

I know exactly how you feel. I have done that many, many times. More than I can count, actually. Welcome back!

Thanks guys, I love you too much to dissappear forever. I went home over the weekend, slept twelve hours straight and now I am feeling a little better.

*hugs Kitty and doesn't let her go* I'm so glad you're back! And I'm also sorry that you haven't been feeling well... unfortunately I can't do more than sending virtual hugs and digital cups of hot chocolate via internet to Norway... But I'm really glad you're alive and back with us!

That helps a lot, Nimph. :) As long as you care I don't need anything else.

As a sidenote, does anyone know how to subtly ask a guy if he's single? If he doesn't have a facebook page?
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3734 on: March 03, 2015, 12:01:50 PM »
As a sidenote, does anyone know how to subtly ask a guy if he's single? If he doesn't have a facebook page?
Subtly?  That's a tricky one... Hm, ask him what he does/where he frequents on weekends?  That'd probably work on me, at least.  :P
Feel free to PM.