Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387911 times)

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #3570 on: February 19, 2015, 02:15:17 AM »
To differentiate between the aussie supermarkets and the kiwi ones? I dunno.
Aw XD
It reminds me of when Chickenfeed stores were replaced with Shiploads stores.... I can't decide which shops hurt my eyes more...and the ads. Aghk. The Shiploads one playing at the moment has this guy drunkenly shouting "SHHHTHIBLOWDS!" and I just want to hurl myself out the window while singing "Why can't the english teach their children how to speak?" (Lenny, do you know the ad I'm talking about?) It hurts my soul. I would very much rather have the old singing chicken band popping up on tv every adbreak x___x

Hahah, unrelated (even more so) but MAN I've been whistling along non-stop with my sister's (hyper) kpop playlist she's blasting through the house, and my gosh if this doesn't count as some sort of intense breathing exercise I don't know what does o___o *passes out from no oxygen*
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 02:26:00 AM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #3571 on: February 19, 2015, 02:22:25 AM »
Aw XD
It reminds me of when Chickenfeed stores were replaced with Shiploads stores.... I can't decide which shops hurt my eyes more...and the ads. Aghk. The Shiploads one playing at the moment has this guy drunkenly shouting "SHHHTHIBLOWDS!" and I just want to hurl myself out the window while singing "Why can't the english teach their children how to speak?" (Lenny, do you know the ad I'm talking about?) It hurts my soul. I would very much rather have the old singing chicken band popping up on tv every adbreak x___x

I learnt very early on that most ads here are brain-bleachingly horrible, and have since only watched tv if absolutely necessary. Since iView became a thing, not once in the past three years (except for the World Cup matches). So I am very happy to say, I do not know of the ad you are speaking of, haha.
Am notified of private messages via email.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #3572 on: February 19, 2015, 02:26:48 AM »
I learnt very early on that most ads here are brain-bleachingly horrible, and have since only watched tv if absolutely necessary. Since iView became a thing, not once in the past three years (except for the World Cup matches). So I am very happy to say, I do not know of the ad you are speaking of, haha.
NOOOOOOOOOoOOOooOOoo!!!!!!!! ;___-
You have to hear it at least once....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWK0YxZytU4
ONLY CLICK IF YOU DARE I'M SO SORRY
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 02:36:24 AM by OrigamiOwl »

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3573 on: February 19, 2015, 02:40:20 AM »

Heh heh, that's pretty darn bad.  But it's nothing compared to used car ads in the U.S.  Or Mexican wrestling/monster truck ads.

Um... did they deliberately choose the name "Shiploads" because it sounds like a term the Forum won't let me use?
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #3574 on: February 19, 2015, 02:58:29 AM »
Heh heh, that's pretty darn bad.  But it's nothing compared to used car ads in the U.S.  Or Mexican wrestling/monster truck ads.
Those ads scare me deeply e____e I used to have an interest in advertising...and the shouty ads haunted my dreams. Especially the US ones......

Um... did they deliberately choose the name "Shiploads" because it sounds like a term the Forum won't let me use?
Yup. They did.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #3575 on: February 19, 2015, 03:07:17 AM »

*deadpan face throughout 30 secs of ad*

Well, I've seen worse.

But still.

*proceeds to disinfect by listening to Final Fantasy arrangements*
Am notified of private messages via email.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3576 on: February 19, 2015, 07:03:03 AM »
Anyway, I changed my race today.
You made me hella confused there for a second.

I'm surprised there were no badly rendered explosions in that ad, because "over the top" seems to be what they aimed for.

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #3577 on: February 19, 2015, 07:06:35 AM »
By the gods that ad looked more like a parody than an actual attempt to sell a product.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3578 on: February 19, 2015, 07:25:52 AM »
By the gods that ad looked more like a parody than an actual attempt to sell a product.
Yes, but people will notice it because it's so ridiculous. And then they will remember it and its message because it is so ridiculous. All PR is good PR.

So, it's all just black at the moment, but I can't be bothered to choose a colour because I'm laaaaazy ;P

It's generic as hell though. Does it exist already?? (didn't do any research) Hmmm probably does...
You could colour it red (and maybe make it into a 3D twisty thing like the Woolworths one, then add a Green leaf on the right side sticking out from behind it to suggest freshness?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 08:05:38 AM by Fimbulvarg »

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #3579 on: February 19, 2015, 08:12:26 AM »
I understand that approach, but personally when I see advertisements it gives me a very negative opinion of the brand, hardly encourages me to buy products from them.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #3580 on: February 19, 2015, 09:05:27 AM »
Am I being unreasonable in thinking that this request is unreasonable? (Given that I also have no computer programs to make the letterhead IN.)
Umh. *scratches head* I'm rather a Unix than a Windows admin, but there are tons of companies where "the letterhead" to be used with Word is actually a template you load when starting to write the letter, and has been created and saved with Word itself. Implying that the letterhead gets printed together with the letter, rather than having it preprinted on the stationery. (Which one could still design with Word unless you want capabilities that your print shop has but not your computer printer at home - the typical example being colored areas that extend all the way to the edge of the paper.)

There are letterhead templates that you can download from the Internet, which is what I'ld suggest because it hopefully gets you started OK with the positioning of the individual parts. (Read: Sender and recipient address being properly aligned with the envelope's window.) Note that you'll have to work with whatever standard measurements of paper and envelopes exist in your country, so don't download just any template. (In particular, all *I* could give you would be for A4 paper and DIN's standards for letterhead arrangements.)

The rest is adapting to the info (phone, fax, e-mail, bank account, tax ID, mail address, street address, ...), logo, and corporate identity (exact colors etc.) of the company in question - which sounds doable in 2h *if* said company has all that defined and at hand as files on the 'puter ...

Pro tip: When inserting images, crop them properly. Do not take an image that has tons of white around the actual art, magnify it, and plop it onto the template thinking that "white is white". Computers don't really know "white", they will balk at "image extends into keep-out area" if you ever send such a document to a print-and-send service.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

DzigaWatt

• Just 5 more mins
« Reply #3581 on: February 19, 2015, 09:11:03 AM »
You made me hella confused there for a second.

Sry, didn't give enough information :D
I'm caucasian, with reeeeeeally tiny curls. One time, while in Zakintos, an African came up to me and asked whether my roots come from Africa. I was confused first, but then took it as a compliment. And yesterday I was completely covered in ash, so I really looked like an African. I'm lousy at telling jokes...
can discuss the meaning of life:
like a second mother-language:
won't starve:
dATumblr

JoB

« Reply #3582 on: February 19, 2015, 09:15:57 AM »
Black is the easiest color to use, and always professional.
Also, works with non-color printers. Cheaper to have preprinted stationery with (because you essentially pay per ink color used and you need black to print the text parts, anyway), too. And works better with letters that get photocopied or faxed.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3583 on: February 19, 2015, 06:01:45 PM »
Question: what does the "buddy" functionality of smf do? I've tried to look it up but the info is really unhelpful.

Sry, didn't give enough information :D
Nah, I'm kind of dim is all.

JoB

« Reply #3584 on: February 19, 2015, 06:32:58 PM »
Question: what does the "buddy" functionality of smf do? I've tried to look it up but the info is really unhelpful.
My guess (strictly from observation, no documentation-reading involved): Nothing unless you go to your PM preferences and change the "Receive personal messages from:" setting to "Buddies and Administrators only" and/or "Notify by email every time you receive a personal message:" to "From Buddies Only".