Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411570 times)

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #19350 on: May 15, 2023, 06:49:58 PM »
Hum... What are Mikkel's ancestors doing this time at Bornholm?
 O_o

Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #19351 on: May 15, 2023, 09:04:47 PM »
Very interesting. Was it LooNEY_DAC who wrote a story about Mikkel messing with some ancient artifact on Bornholm?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #19352 on: May 15, 2023, 09:31:25 PM »
Very interesting. Was it LooNEY_DAC who wrote a story about Mikkel messing with some ancient artifact on Bornholm?
Yep.

Róisín

« Reply #19353 on: May 16, 2023, 05:25:49 AM »
Ah yes! That was a good story.

Róisín

« Reply #19354 on: May 27, 2023, 07:22:07 AM »
Today was freezing cold and rather bleak here, but there was one odd and interesting moment. Liz and I had been doing the Saturday Farmers Market and came home after a usefully profitable morning, having sold enough plants, seeds, flowers, herb bunches and fruit from my garden to pay our stall fee, do the meat, fruit and vegetable purchases for our households for the week, and have a little money left over. We were happily unpacking such goods as we hadn’t sold when we found a juvenile bluetongue lizard lying on her back in the driveway, not moving. At first we thought she was dead, because she felt as cold as the day, but I could feel a faint pulse as she lay in my hand. So I very slowly and carefully warmed her just by contact until she started to move, then found her a place where she could do her winter dormancy thing inside a stack of old plant pots which I stashed in a cosy spot under our small water tank, where she would be protected from the bitter weather we have coming, and in close proximity to a lot of baby snails for when she wakes up. Such lizards do not fully hibernate in our climate, but go dormant and sometimes wake to eat if there are warm days in winter. I didn’t want to bring her into the house where she might overheat and need to be kept as a pet. I think she is one of the three offspring that Slide, the big old bluetongue who lives under the woodbox on our back porch, birthed late this summer. I hope she will survive. They are charming creatures, and I don’t mind if they eat the odd strawberry here and there, because they are also very good pest controllers.

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #19355 on: May 27, 2023, 06:47:35 PM »
Good luck to the young bluetongue!
Are strawberries a favorite snack for them, or do they like berry fruits in general?

Róisín

« Reply #19356 on: May 28, 2023, 12:56:58 AM »
They like any kind of fruit, with berry fruits being a favourite - I have seen old Slide actually rear up on her tail and jump to get at blueberries, and they eat fruit and flowers off my muntries plants, muntries or munthari being a native groundcover plant with pretty little white fluffball flowers with a sweet nectar scent which are followed by pea-sized berrries which taste like spiced apples, hence the botanical name of Kunzea pomifera. I don’t grudge them a bit of fruit and shelter because they enthusiastically eat snails, slugs, young mice and small snakes, and they are quite friendly animals.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #19357 on: May 28, 2023, 01:02:50 AM »
I hope the bluetongue continues to survive! Bluetongues, bobtails and other large skink-type lizards are lovely creatures - I saw a bobtail when I went out for a walk in a local patch of remnant bush on Thursday.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Róisín

« Reply #19358 on: May 28, 2023, 12:34:10 PM »
I think what you call bobtails over there in WA are what we here in SA or Victoria call stumpys or stumptails? As you say, big skinks related to bluetongues. All delightful creatures, though their bites can be nasty. The only time I have been bitten by one was when I was holding it still so a wildlife carer could remove a tick from its ear. It twisted violently and bit my wrist. Took quite awhile to heal.

Yastreb

• May her brightness be among the stars.
« Reply #19359 on: May 29, 2023, 12:10:17 AM »
At 2340 yesterday I had just gone to bed when I felt a distinct tremor, and heard what sounded like an explosion. Not sure of what I'd just experienced, I checked with my flatmate, who was in the living room, watching a movie. He'd felt it too, so I hadn't dreamed it, as had happened before (it's in the Weird Dreams thread).
This morning's news reported an earthquake in Victoria; a relatively shallow event, explaining the sound I'd heard.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-29/earthquake-in-melbourne-sunbury-felt-across-cbd/102404018
"Life is all we are. Life is what defines us. In the end, Life is the answer."

Ruler of Bartolomeu de Gusmão Airport.

Róisín

« Reply #19360 on: May 29, 2023, 12:56:03 AM »
That was a 3.8 earthquake with epicentre at Sunbury, so not far from you, Yastreb. Also the worst in that region for some time - since I think 1902? The bang is because the tilted block fault on which Melbourne sits makes noise when it slips. Used to be that where Port Philip Bay now is used to be land at the outer edge of a big lagoon, which is why there is marble full of marine fossils at Lilydale, which is well inland now but used to be seafloor. Glad it wasn’t worse. I remember the one in the early 1970s which was bad enough to throw people out of bed.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #19361 on: May 29, 2023, 02:22:11 AM »
Yes, I heard about the earthquake too - I've got some friends from high school who are studying in Melbourne who also felt the quake. Interesting to hear about the bang and how it was caused by the fault line slipping! And glad everybody is safe.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Róisín

« Reply #19362 on: May 31, 2023, 07:14:12 AM »
This morning was fun. Some friends were going mushrooming in the forest and took me along with them to visit my world for a bit, and so I could show them where the best porcini grow. We spent a few hours enjoying the green and the quiet before I needed to go home to help Star. They are very nice folk, local farmers with two young boys. She is Taiwanese, he is American, but they very much enjoy farming here. When we arrived at my place to drop me at home, True (the Taiwanese lady) noticed a small fruiting tree which was one she had never seen before growing in my front garden, and wanted to try the fruit. She liked it. The first ripe fruit this year on my young Arbutus unedo (strawberry tree or madrone)! Her husband knew what it was, because he is from southern California where it grows, but he had no idea that you could eat the fruit. This is the only the second time the tree has fruited since Star gave it to me for my birthday five years ago.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #19363 on: May 31, 2023, 08:15:59 AM »
Is the porcini there the same species as here in Europe? And if so, does it occur naturally or has it been somehow imported?

I’m happy for you to have been able to go to the woods for a while!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #19364 on: May 31, 2023, 08:26:12 AM »
This is the only the second time the tree has fruited since Star gave it to me for my birthday five years ago.
It sure picked the right moment to do so ... !

Is the porcini there the same species as here in Europe? And if so, does it occur naturally or has it been somehow imported?
It seems to have come as a neophyte, but the Wikipedia article doesn't tell whether it was an intentional or accidental introduction. I guess it'd take a lot of havoc for someone to oppose the advent of domestic Steinpilze (yum!), though ... ;)

(... he said while listening to the ringnecks roister outside ...)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15