Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387889 times)

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #19140 on: September 02, 2022, 04:50:06 PM »
I missed it by one day cause work was really crazy, but happy birthday, Forum.  <3
Feel free to PM.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #19141 on: September 03, 2022, 02:03:56 AM »
Thanks for the info, Lenny!

And for the reminder, Eich!

Happy Birthday, Forum!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #19142 on: September 03, 2022, 10:21:27 AM »
Oh, wow, huh! So it is.

Happy (late) birthday to the forum!
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Róisín

« Reply #19143 on: September 03, 2022, 11:20:56 AM »
You know how sometimes life produces some event or interaction to which one is unsure whether the proper reaction is to laugh, weep or swear? Liz and I were doing the market today, running my stall and interacting with lots of customers, other stallholders dropping by to exchange produce, and members of the public with gardening questions, and we experienced one of those. Though Liz, bless her for a dear friend, did manage to keep a straight face.

Both she and I, down the years, have belonged to an overlapping set of gardening, farming and conservation organisations. I don’t get to the meetings or events of most of them anymore because I now live rather far away from where most of them have meetings or events, and I no longer drive since my distance vision is failing. Plus a lot of my life that used to be free for doing such things is now occupied with caring for my beloved as his health and mobility decline, which I don’t mind since he is well worth the trouble. But I no longer get about in the world as much as I was used to do.

With me so far? Well, both Liz and I are busy dealing with people at the stall, being busy and having fun. There is a crowd of people around us when suddenly a deep and very loud male voice exclaims: “Bev! I thought you were dead!”. A very loud voice indeed! What does one say? It is another, though younger, stalwart of the same set of organisations, who has dropped by the market on his way back from somewhere else and had no idea that we were there. Or, apparently, that I was still alive. Come to think of it, a number of our mutual acquaintances have died in the last few years…..

Unsure whether to laugh, weep or swear. Maybe I should settle for all three…..I did at least manage a courteous reply, but it wasn’t easy.

dmeck7755

« Reply #19144 on: September 03, 2022, 12:34:48 PM »
Róisín,
Probably it would be all three for me also. It is definitely a funny story (Even if startling)

It reminded me of a movie trope (From an old 1981 film Escape From New York)

The protagonist was this person called snake and thought the movie, People would say  "I heard you were dead"

On another note:
I was looking at my feeder and a bald blue jay came to eat.  I have never seen one without its crown and wondered about.  Turns out he is molting.  (He could be sick, but I'd prefer to think about molting)
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

dmeck7755

« Reply #19145 on: September 03, 2022, 12:38:27 PM »
Now I am sorry I missed the forums anniversary, so here is a couple of cakes to make up for it

Couldn't resist I took a slice..
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #19146 on: September 03, 2022, 02:02:56 PM »
dmeck, you are entitled to a slice - you provided this visual deliciousness!

(Thank you for leaving the really pretty one whole until after the photoshoot, though!)

A heartfelt Happy [belated] Birthday to the forum, and best wishes to all who populate it with their talent, humour, and heart! You make this a better world. (I include those who accept help and support, as well as those who offer them; all help to persuade me that this is a world it is safe for me to love.)

Róisín

« Reply #19147 on: September 03, 2022, 02:56:40 PM »
dmeck, what gorgeous cakes! Very celebratory!

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #19148 on: September 03, 2022, 02:59:34 PM »
Happy birthday, forum!

I didn't get here till well after it started; but am glad to be here now.

[checks: hmm. Longer ago than I thought; but still well after the forum started.]

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #19149 on: September 03, 2022, 06:37:40 PM »
You know how sometimes life produces some event or interaction to which one is unsure whether the proper reaction is to laugh, weep or swear? [...] suddenly a deep and very loud male voice exclaims: “Bev! I thought you were dead!” [...] I did at least manage a courteous reply, but it wasn’t easy.
It reminded me of a movie trope (From an old 1981 film Escape From New York)

The protagonist was this person called snake and thought the movie, People would say, "I heard you were dead"
From Big Jake:
Person: "Who are you?"
John Wayne: "Jacob McCandles."
Person: "I thought you was dead!"
John Wayne: "The next man who says that, I'm gonna kill him."
And he did.

Róisín

« Reply #19150 on: September 03, 2022, 08:07:00 PM »
Yeah, Star quoted that movie at me when we got home from the market and I told him about the incident. I’ve never seen it, but I think I would be amused. Star likes John Wayne’s work, but I have only ever seen a few of his movies.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #19151 on: September 04, 2022, 03:42:56 AM »
when suddenly a deep and very loud male voice exclaims: “Bev! I thought you were dead!”.

"Well, I got me a deal with him ..."

"Naaah, must be your phone."

"Joe! How are those great-grandchildren coming along that you promised to show me when they're born?"

"Don't be silly, I'm not even twenty years old!"

"So much for thinking, eh?"
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Yastreb

• May her brightness be among the stars.
« Reply #19152 on: September 04, 2022, 07:11:34 PM »
I can offer the flip side to Róisín's experience.

A few months ago someone I'd been at school with, but hadn't seen since then, recognised me when our paths crossed at a tram stop. He recognised me after more than forty years.

And not long after that, one of my sister's friends from school and college paid her a visit, and I turned up that day to be greeted with "You haven't changed at all."
"Life is all we are. Life is what defines us. In the end, Life is the answer."

Ruler of Bartolomeu de Gusmão Airport.

Róisín

« Reply #19153 on: September 04, 2022, 09:17:54 PM »
Yastreb, I’m not at all surprised. You have retained your youthful looks extremely well. I mean, I’ve known you since you were what, around twenty, and that was a long time ago.

I think the recognition thing that gives me most trouble is the number of people who recognise me and come up to speak to me, whom I don’t know. In part this is because my distance vision is going, and I have to really focus on an approaching face to get the features clear, but mostly it seems to be that down the years I have had a lot of public exposure in situations of speaking to audiences while giving talks on things such as food gardening, bushcraft and folklore, leading classes through the bush, being the storyteller at many years of Mediæval Fairs, libraries, schools and folk festivals, singing in folk clubs, teaching small classes in useful practical skills as part of the Recreate project, plus decades of lecturing to botany classes and running conservation projects. Not to mention a bit of stage and stunt work, and being part of a few documentaries. While I do remember many of the people whom I have taught, especially the ones who asked intelligent questions, there is no way that I could remember them all! And my voice also seems to be distinctive, since even nowadays, years after I did my last radio work beyond an occasional interview, people will overhear me chatting to a friend as we walk down the street and come up and speak to me about things I have spoken of on air.

It surprises me that people remember me, because I could scarcely be called a dazzling beauty - I’m tiny, under five feet tall, stocky build, longish once-red hair that is now mostly white, and have scars and enough of a limp to walk with a stick.

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #19154 on: September 04, 2022, 09:32:42 PM »
Actually -- that's a description of somebody who I, who's partly face-blind, would probably be able to recognize! Whereas people who are "conventionally good-looking" all usually look the same to me; I can't tell them apart.