Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410809 times)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #18945 on: February 28, 2021, 09:03:50 AM »
JoB my mind boggles again! Thanks for linking the golden hats!

Groupoid, I believe they were considered to potentially be ceremonious headwear, which often is weird and impractical! Consider the papal tiara (no more in use), the heaviest of which weighed many kilograms. The heaviest of all was the one Napoleon presented to Pope Pius VII in 1804, which weighed a staggering of 8,2 kg. Pius VII never wore it however, as the opening was too small for his head. One might say this was fortunate for Pius VII. Pope Paul VI did wear his 4,5 kg tiara, until he discontinued the practice. Even the “normal” papal mitre is quite distinctive :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 09:20:28 AM by Jitter »
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #18946 on: March 01, 2021, 08:45:32 AM »
These golden hats are fascinating! Thanks, JoB!
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #18947 on: March 05, 2021, 05:03:10 AM »
I think the comic may have omitted the real reason the Nordics are a survivor pocket:
https://satwcomic.com/social-get-together
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #18948 on: March 05, 2021, 06:33:47 PM »
I think the comic may have omitted the real reason the Nordics are a survivor pocket:
https://satwcomic.com/social-get-together
Thanks, cat. Now everything is explained! :)

(and someone commented that the Finnish guy is not on that panel because he's keeping the usual 1Km distance... :D )
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #18949 on: March 06, 2021, 03:51:58 AM »
(and someone commented that the Finnish guy is not on that panel because he's keeping the usual 1Km distance... :D )

I missed that comment. I actually first heard that joke being made about Finland, but kept it to myself because I know I have a lousy sense of when stereotype-reliant jokes are appropriate or not.
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #18950 on: March 06, 2021, 04:22:40 AM »
I missed that comment. I actually first heard that joke being made about Finland, but kept it to myself because I know I have a lousy sense of when stereotype-reliant jokes are appropriate or not.
If it's not appropriate, trust Polandball to jump right into it.

(... he said, as if SatW had ever shied away from that particular one.)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #18951 on: March 06, 2021, 07:28:11 PM »
I have a doubt. :)
I would like to bring back the traditional welcoming pack for new Minnions. But I don't know if that long text is appropriate when someone just posts a comment.

I feel that it would be better to stay with a few simple welcoming words in those cases, and reserve the full pack (Mead Moose, Urgent Socks, Squirrel Cookies, etc...) for those that use their first post to state their arrival (and usually their love for the comic, and that they binged it in two or three days... you know how it is).

The other option would be to offer the full welcome pack to any new commenter.

So, what do you think?

note: I'm not saying that I want to be the one that does that every time, just that I'm willing to do it because it's a nice way to welcome people. But I'll be happy if any of you do that. :)

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #18952 on: April 03, 2021, 06:07:34 AM »
Uhm... you guys? I think I found the training our cookie-baking squirrels have to absolve...

supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

Annuil

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #18953 on: April 03, 2021, 09:30:19 AM »
Oh, my! This is hilarious! I remember people talking about this guy who did an obstacle course for squirrels. I don't think I ever had a chance to witness squirrels doing such things in Russia, but in the US they are just... everywhere! and they are crazy!.. Now I hate squirrels. I have a personal war with them. They killed a small oak-tree I planted and some of the flowers, like tulips and they also wake me up at night, because they get into my attic and start scratching there. They keep attacking our bird-feeders, spill the grain and scare the birds. My dog loves hunting them in our backyard. Once I managed to let him out silently enough that he almost caught it, they rolled in a ball together, but the squirrel slipped away...  We caught two squirrels in my attic with a mousetrap and the third one with a rattrap, and I had to carry it out with a triumph.
They are nice in the forest and its fun to watch them preform their acrobatic skills on the feeders, but they are just evil sometimes... :lalli:
Native:🇷🇺
Fluent:🇺🇸(🇬🇧)
Can say some phrases:🇫🇷🇩🇰
Learning:🇫🇮🇸🇪🇪🇸
Want to learn: 🇮🇸🇩🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #18954 on: April 03, 2021, 09:57:22 AM »
Oh, my! This is hilarious! I remember people talking about this guy who did an obstacle course for squirrels. I don't think I ever had a chance to witness squirrels doing such things in Russia, but in the US they are just... everywhere! and they are crazy!.. Now I hate squirrels. I have a personal war with them. They killed a small oak-tree I planted and some of the flowers, like tulips and they also wake me up at night, because they get into my attic and start scratching there. They keep attacking our bird-feeders, spill the grain and scare the birds. My dog loves hunting them in our backyard. Once I managed to let him out silently enough that he almost caught it, they rolled in a ball together, but the squirrel slipped away...  We caught two squirrels in my attic with a mousetrap and the third one with a rattrap, and I had to carry it out with a triumph.
They are nice in the forest and its fun to watch them preform their acrobatic skills on the feeders, but they are just evil sometimes... :lalli:

Also at war with squirrels here, with the extra bonus that they're not even native to the island of Newfoundland! After the last glaciation, they weren't able to recolonize (because island), but then some genius brought them here, possibly with the notion that they would keep the hemlock looper (a forest pest insect) down, which of course they don't. Our cats have a "catio":
Spoiler: show

On the right you can see the tunnel to the house, where they have a cat door. Despite presumably reeking of cat (one of them would rather do his business out there than in a litter box) the squirrels go in, and several have paid the ultimate price for their trespassing. Others have been released alive in the house, presumably to train us in squirrel-hunting, which leads to a thrilling game of chase (with excited cats underfoot) as we try to corral and eject them.

Where we lived before, we had outdoor cats. One of them spent a winter sitting in the window watching a squirrel that had made a tunnel under the snow from a tree to the bird feeder. She would sit there glaring and twitching her tail, and we figured she was saying, "Just you wait... first nice day in spring when the snow melts, you are TOAST!" My SO nicknamed the squirrel "Purina", after the brand of pet food. Sure enough, I came home on the first nice day of spring, and there on the kitchen mat was Purina, lying flat on his back (it was clearly a he), not a mark on him. Man, that cat was one amazing hunter!
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #18955 on: April 03, 2021, 11:54:52 AM »
My dog loves hunting them in our backyard. Once I managed to let him out silently enough that he almost caught it, they rolled in a ball together, but the squirrel slipped away... 

I had a dog who did catch one once. I let her out in the morning, and she made an immediate mad dash and caught an unwary squirrel on the ground between two trees; squirrel not having been quite quick enough to make it up either of them to safety.

For the rest of her life up till the end when she couldn't run well, every morning, when I first let that dog out, she made that same mad dash out the door in the hopes of catching another squirrel. To the best of my knowledge she never got another one, though.

Void

• Super-Newbie
  • Random Wanderer
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him
« Reply #18956 on: April 03, 2021, 12:05:41 PM »
Hello everyone, How are you?  :V
I like to live without knowing what will happen to me in the next minute.

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #18957 on: April 14, 2021, 11:53:56 AM »
It never rains but it pours. After my IP taking over a week to fix the modem for the wifi I was just catching up with the backlog and now my laptop is disabled by a hardware problem. So I am back on limited service with my phone. This may take longer to fix.
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :chap17: :chap18:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #18958 on: April 14, 2021, 01:00:53 PM »
Hello Void! As to how we are:alive so far! As the old song has it, ‘better under the table than under the ground!’ How are you doing?

« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 01:07:24 PM by Róisín »
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

SkyWhalePod

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #18959 on: April 14, 2021, 04:23:03 PM »
Hi Void! Are you secretly Geralt of Rivia? You're missing a couple of swords. . . .
Native: :us: Rusty: :de: :it: Very basic: :se: Thanks, anime: :jp: Learned a word yesterday: :fi: