Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387333 times)

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #3030 on: January 14, 2015, 03:45:35 PM »
Awww! Thank you all guys so much :3

Uh... What? Here? For you all? Publicly?

Heh. Hehehehe. Hehehe... *shuffles away*

At least tell us what you're teaching. :D

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #3031 on: January 14, 2015, 03:49:30 PM »
At least tell us what you're teaching. :D

Oh, language learning techniques. I mean, everyone seems to have the school concept of learning a language, which is so very different from the actual one. I have a couple languages on my back, so I feel competent enough to try and give advice :)
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3032 on: January 14, 2015, 03:56:25 PM »
Awww! Thank you all guys so much :3

Uh... What? Here? For you all? Publicly?

Heh. Hehehehe. Hehehe... *shuffles away*

Or chat, or one-on-one via PM -- whatever you're comfortable with.  I know you'll do fine regardless (like in theater class), but I was just suggesting some things that might make you feel less anxious beforehand.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
« Reply #3033 on: January 14, 2015, 04:13:12 PM »
Oh, language learning techniques. I mean, everyone seems to have the school concept of learning a language, which is so very different from the actual one. I have a couple languages on my back, so I feel competent enough to try and give advice :)

I'd love to hear what you have to say about that! But of course, there's no pressure ;3

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3034 on: January 14, 2015, 05:02:01 PM »
Go nimphy!  :)
The upside to doing that class is that you'll probably just get kids who want to learn something, instead of the lazy butts who don't do anything but leave joke classes for giggles.

I just had a 50 minute walk around my hilly campus to get a new book for class tomorrow.  That's more exercise than I've gotten in a couple years , considering my big, heavy laptop was with me.  :'( Why does exercise have to suck!??
Feel free to PM.

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3035 on: January 14, 2015, 05:26:22 PM »
Why does exercise have to suck!??

I feel your pain, I really do ;n;
Aaand it probably doesn't help that all my hobbies (drawing, reading, writing, being unproductive on my laptop) involve sitting completely still. Whoops.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3036 on: January 14, 2015, 05:32:41 PM »
Why does exercise have to suck!??
Keep doing it until you like it.

sitting completely still.
Oh now, how many mountains out of the 7 have you climbed?

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3037 on: January 14, 2015, 05:39:43 PM »
Oh now, how many mountains out of the 7 have you climbed?

8, obviously.

I've participated in both 4-fjellsturen and 7-fjellsturen, and I'm used to hiking and skiing with my family, but it's not like I do it all the time. And I've been doing it less and less over the last few years, because most of the outdoorsy stuff I did was with my father, and nowadays I generally try to avoid spending time with him if I can help it. (But we don't have to go into that, I don't want to clog this thread up with my whining again)

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3038 on: January 14, 2015, 06:16:22 PM »
I just had a 50 minute walk around my hilly campus to get a new book for class tomorrow.  That's more exercise than I've gotten in a couple years , considering my big, heavy laptop was with me.  :'( Why does exercise have to suck!??

Sometimes I have to walk 20 minutes to and from class carrying either my super-heavy portfolio or super-heavy bag of painting supplies (and usually also a painting). It's not that much of exercise considering the ground's flat and it's only 20 minutes, but I kinda feel like I my arms should be buff now. ;)

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3039 on: January 14, 2015, 06:37:42 PM »
I apologize for the double post, but my advisor answered my email and actually wasn't stingy! She was just like, "yeah, you're exempt from that class, so I put you in this class, here's when it meets", which is all fine and well, but I didn't check my email until I got home tonight, which was after 6... and apparently the class is from 6 to 9... tonight. Guess who's skipping class right now? (not to mention I didn't even want a replacement class...-_-)

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #3040 on: January 14, 2015, 07:02:16 PM »
Terribly sorry to barge in out of blue like this, but who the heck are academic advisors and why do you actually need them? D:
I'm just too overloaded with revising for exam to stuff wikipedia info into my exhausted brain, so sorry again.
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3041 on: January 14, 2015, 07:23:02 PM »
Terribly sorry to barge in out of blue like this, but who the heck are academic advisors and why do you actually need them? D:
I'm just too overloaded with revising for exam to stuff wikipedia info into my exhausted brain, so sorry again.

It's ok! Academic advisors are the people who [at least US] students go to for things like issues with you class schedule, or questions about your grades or GPA. They also help you register for courses and stuff.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3042 on: January 14, 2015, 07:52:11 PM »
It's ok! Academic advisors are the people who [at least US] students go to for things like issues with you class schedule, or questions about your grades or GPA. They also help you register for courses and stuff.
They are also completely unnecessary.  All they need to give us is a simple list of mandatory classes, and the ability to sign up on our own.  As it is, they complicate things and cause problems.  I've never heard anyone say they liked their advisor, because all they do is make things harder.
Feel free to PM.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3043 on: January 14, 2015, 08:04:40 PM »
I apologize for the double post, but my advisor answered my email and actually wasn't stingy! She was just like, "yeah, you're exempt from that class, so I put you in this class, here's when it meets", which is all fine and well, but I didn't check my email until I got home tonight, which was after 6... and apparently the class is from 6 to 9... tonight. Guess who's skipping class right now? (not to mention I didn't even want a replacement class...-_-)

ooh, that's too bad.  But hopefully you can borrow notes from someone.
And I'm glad your advisor isn't being *actively* unhelpful.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3044 on: January 14, 2015, 08:15:41 PM »
They are also completely unnecessary.  All they need to give us is a simple list of mandatory classes, and the ability to sign up on our own.  As it is, they complicate things and cause problems.  I've never heard anyone say they liked their advisor, because all they do is make things harder.

And they don't seem to answer simple questions very well. But I mean I kinda did need mine to get out of the second semester of art history... I wasn't about to have taken a whole AP test for nothing. But anyway, I dislike her for other reasons...

ooh, that's too bad.  But hopefully you can borrow notes from someone.
And I'm glad your advisor isn't being *actively* unhelpful.

Yeeeah... I think I know someone else in the same class, they might be able to fill me in. Also since today was the first class, they might not have done much that I'd need notes for. Since it was so last-minute I don't even know if I'm on the teacher's roster yet, so I might not have done any damage to my attendance record...