Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387366 times)

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #3000 on: January 13, 2015, 09:40:46 AM »
Urgh, unsympathetic teachers are the worst! I know the feeling all too well. I have insomnia, and I'm being tested for ADHD (no one is surprised), and yet everyone still keeps telling me I could get really good grades if I just "tried a little harder". >:C

Have you talked to your teacher after you found out about this? Perhaps she can do something about it if you tell her what your advisor said.

Sometimes I just think that the majority of teachers is a bunch of douchebags who should partake in lessons on loads of caffain meds as while being sleep deprived at the same time. then fulfill tasks while three people at the same time talk to them. Then let them think about telling other people they should just try a little harder.

Piney, Eich and everybody else I wish that you punch'em in the face and do net let yourself get down by ignorant people. I helped myself by reassuring me, that being nasty is the one and only power those people have. What a sad life that must be.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

asdasdasd2

• Mostly says meaningless things.
« Reply #3001 on: January 13, 2015, 11:07:43 AM »
Happy Lohri everyone!!

For those who don't know what lohri is (probably everyone except me), it is a festival celebrated in northern India that marks the end of winter! Days start getting warmer from today and everyone goes Emil!... Umm... I meant everyone starts a small fire in their house and feed it with wood, paper, groundnuts, and popcorns! And it always rains on this day and people sing songs and ask for gifts (literally) and everyone has a great time! Hope you have a great time too, and happy lohri once again!
English, Hindi, Punjabi.

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
« Reply #3002 on: January 13, 2015, 11:17:32 AM »
Sometimes I just think that the majority of teachers is a bunch of douchebags who should partake in lessons on loads of caffain meds as while being sleep deprived at the same time. then fulfill tasks while three people at the same time talk to them

Very accurate description of how I feel during lessons. Although, to be fair, I think most of them just don't understand what their students are going through (not that that justifies their actions)

Happy Lohri everyone!!

For those who don't know what lohri is (probably everyone except me), it is a festival celebrated in northern India that marks the end of winter! Days start getting warmer from today and everyone goes Emil!... Umm... I meant everyone starts a small fire in their house and feed it with wood, paper, groundnuts, and popcorns! And it always rains on this day and people sing songs and ask for gifts (literally) and everyone has a great time! Hope you have a great time too, and happy lohri once again!

You... throw popcorn in the fire?

Never heard of it before, but happy Lohri to you too! And have fun burning stuff C:

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #3003 on: January 13, 2015, 11:34:16 AM »
Happy Lohri everyone!!

Happy lohri! It sounds awesome! Even though... Asking for gifts? Like, outright asking? Wow. Have fun in India, going Emil :3 (Fiiiirreeeeee <3)

Piney, Sigrid, Eich and all the others, ugh. I know what some teachers can be like. Don't get me started, because I may not stop again. Hugs to you guys.

Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3004 on: January 13, 2015, 11:48:55 AM »
Happy lohri! It sounds awesome! Even though... Asking for gifts? Like, outright asking? Wow. Have fun in India, going Emil :3 (Fiiiirreeeeee <3)

Piney, Sigrid, Eich and all the others, ugh. I know what some teachers can be like. Don't get me started, because I may not stop again. Hugs to you guys.

Yay, hugs! C: *hugs you back*

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3005 on: January 13, 2015, 11:55:50 AM »
Sometimes I just think that the majority of teachers is a bunch of douchebags who should partake in lessons on loads of caffain meds as while being sleep deprived at the same time. then fulfill tasks while three people at the same time talk to them. Then let them think about telling other people they should just try a little harder.

Piney, Eich and everybody else I wish that you punch'em in the face and do net let yourself get down by ignorant people. I helped myself by reassuring me, that being nasty is the one and only power those people have. What a sad life that must be.

Yup, I agree with this. Ignorant people are often the bane of my existence.

Aw, I appreciate the hugs. *returns hug*
I could go on about my art history teacher for hours... I don't know if I ever said what she did with -er, what happened with- my first report for that class, but just...argh.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3006 on: January 13, 2015, 11:56:36 AM »
Had my first thermodynamics class today, and I got the good professor.  I like him, he actually seems like a nice and reasonable person.  I've only had one other teacher like that, but he was super busy and hard to access.  This guy seems really involved with his students, even though he probably has well over 1000 of them. 

Unfortunately, I also have lab in a few minutes, and I forgot to buy go have my workbook printed.  Lab is 3 hours long, not taught by teachers, and involves lots of strictly graded reports.  Labs are not fun, no matter what anyone says. 

Also, Sigrid, I totally get the insomnia and ADHD combo.  It's not fun. 
Try doing some sleeping techniques, like the ones for lucid dreaming.  Once I started doing that, all my sleep problems (well, the ones involved in actually falling asleep; now I just stay up too late) started fading away. 
Feel free to PM.

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #3007 on: January 13, 2015, 12:16:10 PM »
Urgh, unsympathetic teachers are the worst! I know the feeling all too well. I have insomnia, and I'm being tested for ADHD (no one is surprised), and yet everyone still keeps telling me I could get really good grades if I just "tried a little harder". >:C

Have you talked to your teacher after you found out about this? Perhaps she can do something about it if you tell her what your advisor said.

Teachers and professors here are generally supportive.

My grades are generally medicore and even some low ones, I stopped caring about grades many years ago. For me grades are just some semi-meaningless bureautic marks which may or may not tell something about the person graded.  Some professors even think that i'm very high-skilled individual after couple of projects and etc. even when my grades are kinda low  ;D

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3008 on: January 13, 2015, 12:21:52 PM »
Teachers and professors here are generally supportive.

My grades are generally medicore and even some low ones, I stopped caring about grades many years ago. For me grades are just some semi-meaningless bureautic marks which may or may not tell something about the person graded.  Some professors even think that i'm very high-skilled individual after couple of projects and etc. even when my grades are kinda low  ;D
Grades matter for me because I need high grades to keep my scholarships.  If I lose those, I'm in trouble, cause uni is expeeeeeeensive.  So for me, grades are the most important thing by a long shot, until I graduate.
Feel free to PM.

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3009 on: January 13, 2015, 12:55:36 PM »
Also, Sigrid, I totally get the insomnia and ADHD combo.  It's not fun. 
Try doing some sleeping techniques, like the ones for lucid dreaming.  Once I started doing that, all my sleep problems (well, the ones involved in actually falling asleep; now I just stay up too late) started fading away.

I don't really know any good sleeping techniques :/ I've tried a few, but most of them require not moving, which is something I'm not very good at (especially when I'm trying to sleep). But if you have any tips I'm all ears ;3

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3010 on: January 13, 2015, 01:52:39 PM »
I don't really know any good sleeping techniques :/ I've tried a few, but most of them require not moving, which is something I'm not very good at (especially when I'm trying to sleep). But if you have any tips I'm all ears ;3
Well, I kept a dream journal.  For whatever reason, telling yourself that your dreams are important, and keeping a journal helped me to get to sleep easier.  I had a hard time with the staying still stiff too, so I guess keeping my head busy helped.
Feel free to PM.

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3011 on: January 13, 2015, 02:06:16 PM »
Well, I kept a dream journal.  For whatever reason, telling yourself that your dreams are important, and keeping a journal helped me to get to sleep easier.  I had a hard time with the staying still stiff too, so I guess keeping my head busy helped.

Ooooh, I've been wanting to start a dream journal for a while now, actually (well, I've been wanting to try it again. I've tried before, but I kept forgetting it...)! I had no idea it could help me sleep, though :O All the more reason to do it! Now that I think about it, I have this really nice notebook that I haven't written anything in yet...

asadderandawiserman

« Reply #3012 on: January 13, 2015, 07:31:41 PM »

I sometimes have trouble getting to sleep, and the most useful thing I found is to stop worrying about getting to sleep, which I appreciate sounds like awful advice, and maybe is. But most of my problems came from nerves, and it really helped me to realise that the worst thing that could happen would be feeling cranky and tired the next day, which wasn't too bad, and that helped me relax and get to sleep. I've also heard from very good sources that lights edging towards the blue end of the spectrum can interfere with normal human sleep patterns, as we see them as daylight. Most phone/computer screens tend towards blue light, which can keep us awake, but there are more and more apps popping up for phones and computers which 'soften' screen brightness in accordance with the time of day. Maybe one of those could be useful if you use screens late at night?

I'm feeling unusually stressed myself recently, 'cause it's the time of year at uni where we're all expected to find and sign contracts for places to live next year, despite having known the people we have to commit to living with only since September. I've applied for a couple of house viewings with two friends who I care a lot about, but the issue is that they don't really know each other at all, and don't particularly get on well from what little they know of each other. They only really met each other once it was verging on too late to find other groups of people to live with. They both are looking for vastly different things from houses, and I don't really mind but just want to stay in budget, but it's just quite stressful and feel really bad as if I've pushed them both into situations where they're not happy and can't get out of now. I tried really hard not to pressure either into anything, but I still feel pretty guilty. Urgh, sorry, this thread has kind of turned into everyone posting their personal problems.

Varjohaltia

« Reply #3013 on: January 13, 2015, 08:07:45 PM »
(US) University advice: Don't trust your advisor. Always double-check anything they tell you.

Sleep advice: Try not to use phones, laptops, computers, TV etc. for an hour or two before sleeping. Work out, but not close to bedtime. Keep your sleeping area as clutter free as you can. Find out if you snore and might have sleep apnea. If stress is an issue, and physical exercise doesn't help, try meditation, Tai Chi, martial arts etc. Try to keep a reasonably steady schedule as far as bedtimes / wake-up times. Everyone's different, and what works for one person may not work for another.
:finland: Fluent
:usa: Fluent
:germany: Understands
:sweden: Rudimentary
:japan: Horrible

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3014 on: January 13, 2015, 08:19:07 PM »
Urgh, sorry, this thread has kind of turned into everyone posting their personal problems.

Aw, don't apologize.  That's what this thread is for, among other things -- sharing all the ups and downs of our daily lives.  (OK, that doesn't apply to Emil.  He *would* spam this thread with every little complaint that floats through his beautiful but empty head.)

We all sympathize; and as you've seen, other posters might have helpful solutions.

<Cues chorus of Rash-Monsters to sing "We all need somebody to lean on.">
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany: