Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387269 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #135 on: September 12, 2014, 06:45:25 AM »
I've only lost five hours of sleep in two days?   :o  Perhaps I should add that I was resting my eyes at my desk when it happened and was partially dozing off.  Hypnopompic is the right descriptor, I think?
Hmmmm, I'm not familiar with that subtopic, I'm afraid. It sounds too low for the cause being sleep deprivation, but the point is that, while the clinical literature states explicit limits (60h without sleep 'til mental damage, 100h 'til death, etc.), there is a lot of variation between individuals.

I can work maintenance windows every week that most of my colleagues find to totally mess up their sleeping cycle for several days, so that probably explains why I was not all the way into see-laughing-skulls-fall-from-the-ceiling land back then, as the "typical" limits would have predicted. :-\
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

noako

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #136 on: September 12, 2014, 07:20:50 AM »
Well, I'm off to Tampere! There's a two-day con this weekend.

I'm hoping for another mod popping up later. I can come visit this forum with my phone but I'm not sure I have the time.... Or strenght, hehe.

See you guys on Sunday!

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #137 on: September 12, 2014, 04:56:06 PM »
Hmmmm, I'm not familiar with that subtopic, I'm afraid. It sounds too low for the cause being sleep deprivation, but the point is that, while the clinical literature states explicit limits (60h without sleep 'til mental damage, 100h 'til death, etc.), there is a lot of variation between individuals.

I can work maintenance windows every week that most of my colleagues find to totally mess up their sleeping cycle for several days, so that probably explains why I was not all the way into see-laughing-skulls-fall-from-the-ceiling land back then, as the "typical" limits would have predicted. :-\
Yeah, and variation, where death and brain damage are concerned, is a scary thing.  Oh, and it was "hypnogogic" that I was thinking of.  Hypnopompic is the descriptor for things when you wake up, but I was falling asleep, so I was having hypnogogic hallucinations.  But it's the weekend now, so I can sleep in tomorrow and catch up.

I'm hoping for another mod popping up later. I can come visit this forum with my phone but I'm not sure I have the time.... Or strenght, hehe.

See you guys on Sunday!
Have fun out there.  I'll keep the place running, so don't feel like you have to check up, unless it's for fun.  (Maaaaybe a new mod on the horizon)
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #138 on: September 12, 2014, 05:06:45 PM »
What's the internet connection like in SC anyways? Hopefully you're not stuck in Comcast-land.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #139 on: September 12, 2014, 05:15:35 PM »
What's the internet connection like in SC anyways? Hopefully you're not stuck in Comcast-land.
When I'm at university, it's fantastic; works pretty well at home, too.  Yesterday and a few days ago it started and stopped my connection really sporadically, but it's not frequent enough to be too annoying.  I've heard the connection in Australia is supposed to be terrible. 

And no, I don't think I use Comcast anywhere I go.  My home has AT&T, I think?  Either way, you couldn't pay me to use Comcast, with all the things I've been hearing about them.  Incidentally, is Viacom connected to Comcast in any way?  I know Viacom is a nightmare of a company.
Feel free to PM.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #140 on: September 12, 2014, 05:18:00 PM »

Have fun, and stay safe!  You know Tampere is a seclusion areahttp://sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=81
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #141 on: September 12, 2014, 05:34:07 PM »
When I'm at university, it's fantastic; works pretty well at home, too.  Yesterday and a few days ago it started and stopped my connection really sporadically, but it's not frequent enough to be too annoying.  I've heard the connection in Australia is supposed to be terrible. 

And no, I don't think I use Comcast anywhere I go.  My home has AT&T, I think?  Either way, you couldn't pay me to use Comcast, with all the things I've been hearing about them.  Incidentally, is Viacom connected to Comcast in any way?  I know Viacom is a nightmare of a company.

I think a lot of Comcast customers aren't using that company willingly. To my understanding they usually try to squeeze out the competition and monopolize local landlines. If you're in an area where you have options that's a good sign though. Means you won't have to rely on terrible connections and arbitrary cutoffs from providers who know you have to pay for their services anyways.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #142 on: September 13, 2014, 01:05:24 AM »

Tracon? Hope you're having (or had) fun! (I'm so jealous ;P)
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #143 on: September 14, 2014, 11:48:37 PM »
Just for the sake of General Discussion,

Yesterday I was in the process of making my bed, instead of starting a major essay, and then instead of making my bed, I just flopped there like a starfish and contemplated the universe... And then a cat decided my stomach was its new bed and I couldn't move for about an hour....for fear of angering the kitty...and also I was just putting off the essay

But my random question was: *gameshow host voice* what has a blessed feline stopped you from doing by sitting on you?
We need a horde of kitty stories hehe

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #144 on: September 15, 2014, 02:46:28 AM »
Some years ago, when my summers were spent at a friends farm with lots of blessed felines compared to my rather feline-devoid life now, they made me put off sweeping and hauling hay, and most especially just linger in the changing room where they lived before any boring task, really.

And BTW, the advice I got re computer games and low resolution was excellent! Using only 1/4 of my screen I have managed to play Skyrim until my arm hurts (no, that was not a degradation of the wish!)

noako

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #145 on: September 15, 2014, 05:01:00 AM »
Have fun, and stay safe!  You know Tampere is a seclusion areahttp://sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=81

I survived! Thanks for your concern ;D If the rash had broken out I'd be a goner in a second... Though I'd be one anyway, seeing as I live in the capital...

Tracon? Hope you're having (or had) fun! (I'm so jealous ;P)

:( Well, there's always more cons out there!

Have fun out there.  I'll keep the place running, so don't feel like you have to check up, unless it's for fun.  (Maaaaybe a new mod on the horizon)

I checked a couple of times before going to sleep, but I'm glad I wasn't needed. Modding through phone is annoying.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #146 on: September 15, 2014, 07:15:35 PM »
I've heard the connection in Australia is supposed to be terrible. 

It is. In some places we're still stuck with dial-up speed connections, and in others... well, you've got good internet connection if the download speed is above 2Mb/sec (and good connections do exist, we don't all have to struggle with horrid connection - though enough have to that it's become almost a stereotype). My own averages at 1.6Mb/sec, and it cuts out randomly. No fun. Takes weeks, if not months, to download games (within a week if I'm willing to let it download day and night, but I have to share with 5 other people, so it's usually not possible). Impossible to stream anything. No good playing online games much, unless it's a good day - lag is too bad. Other than that, though... it's usable. Mostly.
Am notified of private messages via email.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #147 on: September 15, 2014, 09:49:07 PM »

Other than that, though... it's usable. Mostly.

Yup, I can vouch for that.
We recently got our speed fixed a bit (and now were sooooo broke it was so expensive, but we needed it for business ;__;) but BEFORE.....*wipes tear* ...before....

I've never played games that require internet for exactly this reason :( but they still interest me so I'll just watch videos of other people playing instead (aaagh it's so sad) but mostly it's music videos.
I would want to watch some video about 7-15 minutes long, and it would take about half an hour to an hour to load (which meant not exiting the browser on my phone, not getting calls or texts, or letting the screen turn off from non-use. I use this time to make tea or bake a pie :P) and then when I clicked Play....the bar of loaded video vanished and had to start again. *eye twitches from the memory*

But now that only happens...sometimes.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #148 on: September 15, 2014, 09:58:06 PM »
Yup, I can vouch for that.
We recently got our speed fixed a bit (and now were sooooo broke it was so expensive, but we needed it for business ;__;) but BEFORE.....*wipes tear* ...before....

I've never played games that require internet for exactly this reason :( but they still interest me so I'll just watch videos of other people playing instead (aaagh it's so sad) but mostly it's music videos.
I would want to watch some video about 7-15 minutes long, and it would take about half an hour to an hour to load (which meant not exiting the browser on my phone, not getting calls or texts, or letting the screen turn off from non-use. I use this time to make tea or bake a pie :P) and then when I clicked Play....the bar of loaded video vanished and had to start again. *eye twitches from the memory*

But now that only happens...sometimes.
That happened to me all the time back in 2009 when I got my first mobile-y, computer-y thing.  Heck, it happened on my laptop when I got that.  That was probably back in '09?  The last few years have seen a drastic increase in internet speed, as I've experienced it.  I'm not sure if that's just a trend that I experienced or if it was nation wide but, if it was the latter, y'all will probably get faster interblags before too long.
Feel free to PM.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #149 on: September 17, 2014, 05:19:45 PM »
My roommate turned 21 (legal American drinking age) a couple days ago.  He went out to a bar last night with a buddy and still hasn't gotten out of bed, cause he keeps throwing up when he stands.  So he's just chilling out and watching One Piece in bed today. 
Also, the friend he went out with stayed the night, so I had to be really quiet when I left because our couch is right next to the door out.  So, out of consideration, I kept the lights off when I was about to leave, and gingerly stepped forward... before blindly bumbling into our empty, hollow, resonating, acoustic chamber of a trash can.  *Sigh*  Mornings are never good.

Anyone got some ideas for threads?  I'm thinking a vidya game thread might get some use.
Feel free to PM.