Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411290 times)

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #2820 on: January 07, 2015, 07:12:52 AM »
You can be emotionally invested in them if you want ;P I saw on a science show (much factual, very research ;P)  that emotional tears contain proteins that thicken the tears to make them easily visible on peoples faces because of some evolved primal instinct to pay attention to tears or...something...
That's...kinda related? Right? My head just did a brain-google of "emotions proteins science" and that was the lame-o search result...

Auroras!! Nice! :O

:D
The tear-protein thing is actually really interesting, if only from a behavioural viewpoint and not a molecular one. I think things like crying and blushing are really interesting because they are a form of communication that go beyond any kind of language. It's neat.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #2821 on: January 07, 2015, 07:16:36 AM »
Ohhhh JoB lives only some 60 km away from here. Nice :D
Umh, you might want to read the description - the marker's on an Autobahndreieck I drive through rather often. I would've marked a region as my typical whereabouts if only ZeeMaps would offer that feature.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #2822 on: January 07, 2015, 07:36:23 AM »

How's everyone going with their new academic year? :3

Good enough. Today all the teachers confessed to wanting to test us already, but would have felt too cruel seeing as this was our first day, "But we'll begin tomorrow!". So we generally did nothing but check holiday homework and revise the program of the last trimester. I generally was pretty bored as I know that stuff already.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

asdasdasd2

• Mostly says meaningless things.
« Reply #2823 on: January 07, 2015, 07:45:52 AM »
still enjoying the holidays:)
English, Hindi, Punjabi.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #2824 on: January 07, 2015, 08:04:31 AM »
Umh, you might want to read the description - the marker's on an Autobahndreieck I drive through rather often. I would've marked a region as my typical whereabouts if only ZeeMaps would offer that feature.

so if you drive through there that means you get even nearer to my place on a regular basis :D

no need to be afraid, I won't start hunting you :D
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #2825 on: January 07, 2015, 08:09:37 AM »
How's everyone going with their new academic year? :3

It's been pretty good! Nice weather, not too much to do, but I think I'm falling behind on sleep already. Oops.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #2826 on: January 07, 2015, 08:18:11 AM »
So new terms start with the new year at most places, it seems.

My "new" term begins on first of february which is kind of strange because on 4th I will be done with everything and will finally be able to look for a solid job. Which would be awesome!

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #2827 on: January 07, 2015, 09:40:01 AM »
I am currently looking for a job, but would secretly prefer to be able to stay at the university for another semester. I even envied students going to a course I absolutely hated when I took it myself last year.  :P

So my "new term" consists of looking for places to apply, doing housework and trying not to get bored. Which I manage so-so till now.
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #2828 on: January 07, 2015, 10:50:09 AM »
awwww. Maybe Eich will be able to invent a machine with which we could send each other weather conditions for the perfect temperature mix. that would be soooo nice.
That would involve tinkering with the sun. Don't tinker with the sun. The sun is billions of angry balrogs on steroids.

We're stuck at just above freezing. Still cold, but wet. Anyone have any negative degrees for me? I want snow.
We had zero degrees monday evening, which I remember because I was sitting outside reading on my IPad that Apple products should not be used at 0 degrees or colder. Rebel without a clue.

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #2829 on: January 07, 2015, 11:36:30 AM »
That would involve tinkering with the sun. Don't tinker with the sun. The sun is billions of angry balrogs on steroids.
We had zero degrees monday evening, which I remember because I was sitting outside reading on my IPad that Apple products should not be used at 0 degrees or colder. Rebel without a clue.

That is possibly the best description of the sun I've ever heard. Kudos.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #2830 on: January 07, 2015, 11:49:47 AM »
That is possibly the best description of the sun I've ever heard. Kudos.

That is exactly what I thought. With identical phrasing, even, apart from the kudos.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #2831 on: January 07, 2015, 12:30:56 PM »
We don't currently have the means to tinker with the sun itself, as there's no material to even build such a means with that wouldn't melt. We might have the means to tinker with the radiation coming from the sun, though, as it is a very well-working prison for the Billion Balrogs Gang.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #2832 on: January 07, 2015, 12:48:10 PM »
Five minute break. Been drawing all day. Same pattern. Same identical pattern. Uuuughh.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

FrogEater

• Ranger
  • Pessimists experience only good surprises
« Reply #2833 on: January 08, 2015, 06:09:28 AM »
Sorry to break the overall light mood but...
12 people got shot yesterday in Paris at the Charlie-Hebdo satirical (to say it briefly) newspaper.
This paper, its often obscene but always thoughtful cartoons, its thought-provoking (and perfectly written) articles taught a lot to me. I hope it will go on despite the loss. I'm sad, that's all.
:france: fluent, :uk: decent, :germany: war gut, :italy: tourist knowledge

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #2834 on: January 08, 2015, 06:19:06 AM »
Sorry to break the overall light mood but...
12 people got shot yesterday in Paris at the Charlie-Hebdo satirical (to say it briefly) newspaper.
This paper, its often obscene but always thoughtful cartoons, its thought-provoking (and perfectly written) articles taught a lot to me. I hope it will go on despite the loss. I'm sad, that's all.

Though like the islam-critical youtube-broadcast (fair and informative) it will need people who want to go on, so I share your hopes for this to happen.

What really annoys me during all these events are the everywere occuring "live-ticker" thingies, where they give you updates in shape of a sportsevent.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information