Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387717 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #18330 on: August 22, 2018, 12:12:18 AM »
Interesting, I'm on the list of helpers for Auckland's bid, and figured the radio silence meant we didn't get it.  But Wellington is... doable.  Plus I like Wellies and always jump at the chance to go.  I will look into this.
Edit: The national brass band contest is two weekends earlier, in Christchurch.  Can I afford this?  We'll see.
Further edit: my last communication from them was July 2017.  But I was wrong, it was Wellington all along.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 04:50:40 PM by wavewright62 »
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #18331 on: September 01, 2018, 05:05:09 PM »
Happy birthday, forum. <3

Didn't see a thread this time, but goodness knows that the mod team is super busy right now. Hope everyone is tackling the business of day to day life with gusto, and that everyone keeps enjoying the site. <3
Feel free to PM.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #18332 on: September 01, 2018, 05:46:24 PM »

Didn't see a thread this time, but goodness knows that the mod team is super busy right now. Hope everyone is tackling the business of day to day life with gusto, and that everyone keeps enjoying the site. <3

}hugs Eik{  We dropped the ball on getting anything going for the birthday, I'll take some of the blame for that.  It only occurred to me when I posted a picture in the Art Museum yesterday.   :-[ 
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #18333 on: September 01, 2018, 08:34:10 PM »
And if I remember correctly, Eik it was who started the Forum ball rolling, way back when? Thanks again, Eik.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #18334 on: September 02, 2018, 07:25:19 AM »
It's alright. Like I said, everyone's probably super busy. I just like to wish the site a happy birthday every year cause it's done so much for me. :>

Hope everyone is still enjoying the site. <3
Feel free to PM.

Mebediel

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #18335 on: September 02, 2018, 12:03:09 PM »
It's alright. Like I said, everyone's probably super busy. I just like to wish the site a happy birthday every year cause it's done so much for me. :>

Hope everyone is still enjoying the site. <3
We are!! Thanks Eik, and happy birthday forum :)
Butter good.
Native language: :usa: | Okay at: :china: | Not very good: :mexico: | Working on: :vaticancity:, :england: (OE), :france: | Wishlist: :germany:, :iceland:, :norway:, :finland:, Shanghainese, Esperanto

:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #18336 on: September 04, 2018, 04:33:32 AM »

I'm afraid I let the Forum-versary slip past me too (I was out of town with my parents over the holiday weekend and computer access was sparse).  But belated birthday wishes, and deep thanks to Eik as the Founder of Our Feast.  It was a warm, hazy, smoky day in September, four years ago, when I signed up for this forum.  At the time I never realized it would become such as significant component of my life, bringing friendship and connections all over the world.    :D
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Iceea

• Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #18337 on: September 04, 2018, 11:00:07 AM »
[snip] At the time I never realized it would become such as significant component of my life, bringing friendship and connections all over the world.   :D

hear, hear, indeed!
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #18338 on: September 06, 2018, 08:30:38 PM »
The Forum certainly brought me a lot of far-flung friends and fascinating discussions.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #18339 on: September 08, 2018, 11:55:09 AM »
I, myself, only skimmed the article after stumbling upon it, but I thought that some people here may be interested in reading it.

The Sweet Science of Shipping

(no, it's not about boats)
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #18340 on: September 08, 2018, 06:51:19 PM »
I, myself, only skimmed the article after stumbling upon it, but I thought that some people here may be interested in reading it.

The Sweet Science of Shipping

(no, it's not about boats)

....I thought it was going to be about boats and the logistics of modern shipping and how containers have changed stuff ;_; I was genuinely interested until your last sentence :'3 Still kind of interesting, but nothing I didn't know before.
Am notified of private messages via email.

Iceea

• Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #18341 on: September 10, 2018, 05:43:12 PM »

I went looking for that long typed emoji that looks like some one raising their hands with an "I don't know - don't look at me for an answer" expression. I've seen it used here on the forum numerous times. But try to find it when you need it, nope. I've even tried to create it a couple of times but it's beyond my kbd skills.........
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

Windfighter

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #18342 on: September 10, 2018, 05:50:01 PM »
Are you perhaps talking about the shrug-emoji I use sometimes?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That one?

If so, let me direct you to the wonder that is Japanese Emoticons.me! The poor chat never knows what hit them every time I rediscover that treasure pile!
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

Mebediel

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #18343 on: September 11, 2018, 02:32:11 AM »
Are you perhaps talking about the shrug-emoji I use sometimes?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That one?

If so, let me direct you to the wonder that is Japanese Emoticons.me! The poor chat never knows what hit them every time I rediscover that treasure pile!
It’s also helpful to save it as a keyboard shortcut if you have the option to do so on your computer/phone/other device you use to access the forum. The Japanese iPhone keyboard also has a lot of emoji options similar to the ones in Windy’s link
・:*+.\(( °ω° ))/.:+
Butter good.
Native language: :usa: | Okay at: :china: | Not very good: :mexico: | Working on: :vaticancity:, :england: (OE), :france: | Wishlist: :germany:, :iceland:, :norway:, :finland:, Shanghainese, Esperanto

:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #18344 on: September 11, 2018, 01:01:43 PM »
I went looking for that long typed emoji that looks like some one raising their hands with an "I don't know - don't look at me for an answer" expression. I've seen it used here on the forum numerous times. But try to find it when you need it, nope. I've even tried to create it a couple of times but it's beyond my kbd skills.........

I always find it easily with a google search for "shrug emoji" :)