Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411588 times)

Iceea

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #18150 on: May 07, 2018, 05:13:42 PM »
Yep, it's hung for me also. The main SSSS page comes up Ok, and the forum are no problem, it's just the comic page that sits there and spins. At first I thought it was a Discus thing but it does get to a plain blank page. I notice it says at the bottom in the corner "read hb.vnstm.com" Maybe that will mean something to Job.
I plugged in a specific page number and it goes there just long enough to see that it got there then immediately goes into the blank page with the spinning wheel of death and the little msg in the corner read hb.vnstm.com or I've seen one "waiting for referer discus.com"
Somebody's hosting service has a problem.

I just Googled the hb.vnstm. Wow it looks like some deeply embedded file function, classifier, identifier, whatever. To repeat myself, somebody's hosting service has a problem.
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #18151 on: May 07, 2018, 07:26:46 PM »
Yep, it's hung for me also. The main SSSS page comes up Ok, and the forum are no problem, it's just the comic page that sits there and spins. At first I thought it was a Discus thing but it does get to a plain blank page. I notice it says at the bottom in the corner "read hb.vnstm.com" Maybe that will mean something to Job.
I plugged in a specific page number and it goes there just long enough to see that it got there then immediately goes into the blank page with the spinning wheel of death and the little msg in the corner read hb.vnstm.com or I've seen one "waiting for referer discus.com"
Somebody's hosting service has a problem.

I just Googled the hb.vnstm. Wow it looks like some deeply embedded file function, classifier, identifier, whatever. To repeat myself, somebody's hosting service has a problem.

I've sent the issue (and our discussion of it) to HiveWorks, in an effort to avoid bothering Minna while she's at her grandfather's funeral.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #18152 on: May 07, 2018, 09:12:56 PM »
FWIW, I can get at page 899 either from the 'latest page' icon at the top or from the archive number for it at the bottom of the page, in Firefox on a Mac running Noscript and in Safari with Javascript turned off -- but when I turned Java on in Safari I got what you're describing: first the page was there, and then it wasn't -- it went abruptly after a few seconds to just blank white screen. When I disabled java again and refreshed the pages the page came back again, and stayed put.

So my almost-entirely-ignorant-about-computers guess is that it's got something to do with Java. You might try going into your browsers' preferences and turning that off and seeing what happens.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #18153 on: May 07, 2018, 11:03:46 PM »
This from Hiveworks:
"Thanks for letting us know about this issue! We've encountered this on a few sites with a new advertiser, so hopefully we'll be able to fix this fairly quickly.
Cheers,
Erin Burt
Hiveworks Comics"
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Iceea

• Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #18154 on: May 07, 2018, 11:31:24 PM »
Hey it's back. Thanks for passing the word wavewright!
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #18155 on: May 08, 2018, 04:38:45 PM »
So, Fb just asked me if I know someone. Well yes I know her I was her nanny ten years ago O _ o How do you do that, Fb, you're scary !
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #18156 on: May 14, 2018, 12:31:47 PM »
So, Fb just asked me if I know someone. Well yes I know her I was her nanny ten years ago O _ o How do you do that, Fb, you're scary !

That's better than the ones I get.  All too often "People you may know" includes someone in a country I've never been to who shares no common languages, friends, or interests with me.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #18157 on: May 15, 2018, 06:26:02 AM »

I have a similar experience. FB once recommended me someone I met online, on an entirely different website, who is from a different country and has no common FB friends with me. It was pretty disturbing and I still don't know if it was pure coincidence or something else. (Though I've always been paranoid about online privacy and recent events have only proven me right, so my bet is almost entirely on "something else".)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 06:30:43 AM by Sc0ut »

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #18158 on: May 16, 2018, 02:09:30 AM »
Double posting because I found this thing that is probably interesting for some minnions and I don't know where else to put it. Photos of early 20th century Finns performing magic: https://imgur.com/r/Suomi/BIKjx (If anyone knows of a more appropriate topic for it, feel free to move/repost).

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #18159 on: May 16, 2018, 03:25:56 AM »
We did have a thread for discussion about magic, started by ButterflyWings if I remember correctly. Maybe it could go there? And that second scrying method looks interesting. I wonder what she is doing?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #18160 on: May 16, 2018, 08:24:17 AM »
The wise woman makes me think of Granny Yokum.
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :chap17: :chap18:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #18161 on: May 16, 2018, 08:57:08 AM »
The wise woman makes me think of Granny Yokum.

She does!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #18162 on: May 20, 2018, 10:58:02 PM »
Mmmm, I just baked shortbread cookies and they smell really good. They're full of butter!
And love, of course <3

My overflowing and uncontainable love...of butter ;D
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #18163 on: May 21, 2018, 08:35:03 AM »
I've decided to add cooking to my reenacting and have been researching 18th century recipes. They sure liked butter and I mean a LOT of butter. Many recipes call for you to toss in sticks of the stuff at a time. They also liked lard and suet.
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :chap17: :chap18:

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #18164 on: May 21, 2018, 06:38:45 PM »
Yeah, being physically active, often in cold weather, often sharpens your taste for fats. They probably worked it all off quite fast.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!