Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409267 times)

fija

• Tumblr
  • [slavic folk music playing in the background]
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #18120 on: April 29, 2018, 02:22:24 PM »
I'm on my 2nd course of prednisone to treat inflammation after first throwing my back out and then the next week getting what the doc called "a patch of pneumonia on one lobe" after spending my last three days at work with the flu. That damn steroid works but always makes me feel all twitchy.

Oh no, that doesn’t sound very good. Get well soon!
is supposed to be fluent: :poland: :uk:
nivel A2 desde hace 3 años: :spain:
actually going smoothly: :japan:
shameful, but bravely trying: :finland:
Это уже русский, или ещё польский? :russia:

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #18121 on: April 29, 2018, 07:23:12 PM »
Oh my gosh, the thread for me (since I can’t bring any intellectual or clever observations regarding the comic due to lack of both of those traits)!
My mom threw away my embroidery needle and I have to wait the entire weekend to get myself new ones *deep sigh* my fingers are twitching! I’ve already bought a few moulins for SSSS-themed embroidery. We’ll see how it works out (IF it does).

Sympathy on the loss of the embroidery needle! I understand the twitching of the deprived, restless fingers. When you have some projects under way or completed, there's a topic here for pictures of them! ( I need to learn how to post pictures myself, so I can spam that topic - er, show everyone my own efforts.)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #18122 on: April 29, 2018, 09:14:52 PM »
Fija, that can be really annoying, can't it? I have had somebody accidentally throw out a half-finished embroidery project of mine once, and had to start a very complex scene again from the beginning. It came out better the second time, but still..... I work freehand, without a pattern, so it's different every time. It's a pity my hands are growing stiff with arthritis, makes embroidery and even knitting so much harder and slower.

Midwestmutt, I hope you are better in time for the next rendezvous! Camping out when you are ill is a lot less fun. I hate using steroids, but sometimes it can't be avoided.good luck!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

fija

• Tumblr
  • [slavic folk music playing in the background]
« Reply #18123 on: April 30, 2018, 04:33:40 AM »
( I need to learn how to post pictures myself, so I can spam that topic - er, show everyone my own efforts.)

I think I can help. They way I’ve learnt is to post the image on imgur or photobucket and choose „direct link” from link options somewhere next to the photo (the one that ends with .jpg or .png, not an actual link). Then on the forum, when making a post, you click on the Mona Lisa button and paste the link between the [ img] [/ img].
I will definitely give the artistic threads a try sometime soon :)

Róisín, it can be and it is! I’m so sorry to hear about your project... I would be so mad! I don’t know if I had the patience to start over again.
Argh, I can imagine the arthritis must be a pain. I hope it doesn’t stop you completely from doing what you like.
is supposed to be fluent: :poland: :uk:
nivel A2 desde hace 3 años: :spain:
actually going smoothly: :japan:
shameful, but bravely trying: :finland:
Это уже русский, или ещё польский? :russia:

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #18124 on: April 30, 2018, 04:05:11 PM »
Friendly notification that this exists for those who need help with inserting images :> (it basically goes over what you said, fija, but with more general explanation)
Am notified of private messages via email.

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #18125 on: April 30, 2018, 05:02:26 PM »
Is it time to go home yet?
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #18126 on: April 30, 2018, 08:22:34 PM »
Lenny, thanks! It still doesn't work for me, but I have forwarded it to a friend who understands a lot more about computers than I do. They may be able to do something with it.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #18127 on: April 30, 2018, 10:07:07 PM »
Is it time to go home yet?

Are you listening to somebody read power point slides aloud, slowly?

I just got home from a session of that (planning board training).

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #18128 on: May 01, 2018, 10:19:23 AM »

Sounds like a great time for a nap

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #18129 on: May 01, 2018, 03:10:41 PM »

Grggghh.
10 hours of invoicing is preferable. 
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Iceea

• Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #18130 on: May 02, 2018, 12:10:23 PM »
I've just done about 10-12 hrs, over 3 days, of comparing two lists that won't sort in any meaningful fashion. Items to be gotten rid of. But they have to be treated in a very special manner. Gaah!!!!!
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

JacobThomsen

• Is currently trying to develop flammable lemons
  • Preferred pronouns: Him/he
« Reply #18131 on: May 02, 2018, 05:17:52 PM »
I don't know if it has been mentioned here before but Netflix is making a scandinavian post apocalyptic series called The Rain, that takes place in Denmark. It'll premiere on May 4. I don't know if it'll be good but it looks interesting, and the setting is somewhat similar to SSSS.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 05:22:52 PM by JacobThomsen »
Native: :denmark:
Fluent (more or less): :uk:
If I have to (but please don't make me): :germany:
Somewhat understands: :norway: :sweden:

:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #18132 on: May 02, 2018, 06:12:22 PM »
I don't know if it has been mentioned here before but Netflix is making a scandinavian post apocalyptic series called The Rain, that takes place in Denmark. It'll premiere on May 4. I don't know if it'll be good but it looks interesting, and the setting is somewhat similar to SSSS.

It's one of those shows that's been made a few times :)  See, for examples, Survivors and The Tribe.

soggy

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #18133 on: May 02, 2018, 08:28:32 PM »
The idea is a bit common, but I dig the setting and this part of the description caught my interest-
In their struggle for survival, they discover that even in a post-apocalyptic world there’s still love, jealousy, coming of age, and many of the problems they thought they’d left behind with the disappearance of the world they once knew.

I'm always a super strong proponent for moments of beauty existing despite the worst scenarios, and whenever art manages to capture that I generally fall for it immediately. Despite the cold, there's always solace by a flame, despite the dead there's still the living, etc.

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #18134 on: May 03, 2018, 01:50:09 AM »
Fija and Lenny, thanks for the image posting pointers. I had forgotten about that tutorial.
What I really need to do is write everything out on paper, so that I can look at it as I work. In-skull memory is flipping useless for more than ten nanoseconds....