Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411007 times)

Miss Honeyham

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • *coughing fit*
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #105 on: September 10, 2014, 11:38:40 AM »
Those aren't nightmares. I dream that some crazy assassin has locked me and my family, that our house is on fire, that there's gas everywhere and everything explodes.

I've had a dream very similar to that before, but it wasn't a nightmare. It was more just me sitting around dying and thinking, "Well, this is highly inconvenient."
:usa: | :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :book1: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9:

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #106 on: September 10, 2014, 01:41:06 PM »
I've had a dream very similar to that before, but it wasn't a nightmare. It was more just me sitting around dying and thinking, "Well, this is highly inconvenient."

I've had kinda disturbing dreams about losing limbs and that sorta stuff and then just going: dammit, it's really hard to walk like this.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #107 on: September 10, 2014, 07:57:18 PM »
Yes, but... fighting siblings? To me is too normal to be a nightmare XD
It was sooo scary! I was absolutely terrified!
But, yeah, I can see why you might think that.

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #108 on: September 10, 2014, 08:26:46 PM »
I think I'm very aware of who I am in dreams because I dream in 3rd person so much, so it's kind of a shock to be someone else, unless it's someone awesome like batman or something.

Hm. Now that I think about it, a lot of my dreams are in 3rd person. Either that or I have these personas in dreams that I can...manipulate. Or something. I distinctly remember one dream where I thought to myself that it would be really handy to be able to fly, and then I "zoomed out" on myself and gave myself wings. And then I could fly.

I have lots and lots of lucid dreams. Often I'm perfectly aware that I'm sleeping and nothing is real. While this makes my dreams less scary, it makes them a heck of a lot more annoying.

*snip*

Practically all my dreams are recurring, and have been recurring for years and years now. And I'm usually a very young child in them.
For me, I'm usually aware that I'm dreaming, but I still react to everything in the dream like it's real. The times when I don't, I'm trying to wake myself up (which is probably a reason why I don't typically have nightmares since I wake myself up before the evil scary whatever gets to me). Sometimes the waking-myself-up part doesn't work so well and then I "wake up" in another dream, but I think I'm awake.

And on the subject of reoccurring dreams, I've noticed that two things seem to happen a lot in my dreams. Flying (and being unable to fly above a certain point, like there's a ceiling), and being chased on...and on...and on...which eventually gets more tedious than scary.

Cheesecake

• Don't think I didn't see what you did there
« Reply #109 on: September 10, 2014, 10:17:37 PM »
My dreams are always weird and switch settings and existing story lines change into new ones and when I try to remember them they only come out as: So I did this, but then I was suddenly here, then this happened and...

I do have dreams where I'm in one place every once in a while:
One time I had a dream where I was in a giant jungle garden and EVERYTHING was a blindingly bright green. I met an anaconda and it became my friend before I switched to it's perspective and woke up. I mostly remember the green and how beautiful everything looked in the garden. The plants were almost the color of the ferns in this picture: http://tinyurl.com/pkrn8w3 except more vivid and sunlight filtered through the leaves... (those ferns are the only thing I could find that was even somewhat close to the plants in my dream :()
Another time I had a dream where I was wandering around, lost, in a building made entirely out of chocolate cake. When I finally found a real room, it was entirely white. It had white couches, carpeting, tables, etc. Everyone in the room was eating the chocolate cake and I was just marveling at how stupid they were for not eating in the hallway.

As for nightmares, I haven't gotten any in years. I do distinctively remember a nightmare when I was 3 - 5 though. I used to sleep in this weird cubbyhole in my room and in my dream the back of the wall dropped away and I was falling into it. It was terrifying at the time.
Native: :usa:
Learning-ish: :spain:
Want to learn: :germany: :sweden:
"Survived"
:book1+:
:chap6: :chap7:

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #110 on: September 10, 2014, 11:36:58 PM »
Haaaaaaah, I'm not even going to try recording dreams anymore ;__;

But, I just lived a real life nightmare of embarrassment.

This is a really long story I'm sorry X'C

I went to the campus library to borrow some books for an impending research paper, getting there involved briskly climbing 6 flights of stairs so I was sort of dying by the time I got there... I went straight to the shelves I knew my books were on, but the while aisle was blocked by piles of chairs....so I climbed between the chairs and the wall, and grabbed a few books on my list. All was well. (Except the weird chair hoard. That was bizarre.) I checked my list again and started looking for the most important book I'd listed, but couldn't find it. I searched shelf after shelf, mountaineering over the chairs carrying a huge pile of books. I gave up and asked some staff if they could help and they were really nice. Four poor library staff were looking everywhere for this book, and we're about to fill in a lost form, when I realised...

The book was in my hands the whole time.

So, I didn't say anything at first, played it 'cool' and said I didn't really need the book anyway, but the staff were just SO CONCERNED for this book and wouldn't stop searching- one lady was sacrificing her lunch break! After about 10 minutes I decided to pull out some "amazing" acting skills and pretended to have just discovered the book in my hand, acted extremely cute and they were all patting me on the shoulder and back; "Awww that's ok sweetie!" We all laughed and then when they were gone I RAN LIKE HELL.

Has this happened to anyone else??
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #111 on: September 11, 2014, 12:12:13 AM »
Yeah, that's happened to everyone.  Maybe not to such an extreme, though.  I've lost my glasses while they were on my face, before, though.
Feel free to PM.

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #112 on: September 11, 2014, 04:07:36 AM »
I admit having a few times been looking for some thing or another while holding it in my hand. Luckily this far only at home and while I've been alone ;)

On a totally different topic: I happened on some photos in the web taken by some paramotor people and thought to share with you this one of Keuruu five years ago, since I found it somewhat intriguing purely because of SSSS.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 06:52:12 AM by Pessi »
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #113 on: September 11, 2014, 04:49:57 AM »
Not to the extent of searching high and low for an object that I held in my hands, but:

I once worked in a project where we would receive phone calls during the night to fix computer malfunctions. One day I noticed that someone had logged into one server and done unusual things there, out of the usual shift hours, so I sounded the intruder alert, so to speak, and started pinpointing details on our "friend".

At which point my colleagues, who read up on recent events as their shifts started, suggested that I might want to have a look at that trouble ticket from the previous night where I had documented that I had done all that myself. :o
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #114 on: September 11, 2014, 07:02:34 AM »
that I had done all that myself. :o

Oh no!! I guess your mind wasn't on the job...JoB. (that was a terrible dad-joke I'm so sorry!)
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #115 on: September 11, 2014, 11:14:30 AM »
Oh no!! I guess your mind wasn't on the job...JoB. (that was a terrible dad-joke I'm so sorry!)
My interpretation would rather be that I obviously can fix computer malfunctions without bothering to really wake up. ;D

(Every couple years, someone claims that I repaired his computer problem "just by walking into the room". ??? )
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #116 on: September 11, 2014, 03:16:20 PM »
I've stopped putting my wallet and other important stuff in pockets I don't normally use, since I inevietably end up panicing completely in less than an hour.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #117 on: September 11, 2014, 03:27:13 PM »
Yeah, that's happened to everyone.  Maybe not to such an extreme, though.  I've lost my glasses while they were on my face, before, though.

I do that, too. Like, every morning.

Mom from the other room: Hurry up, we're late!
Me: But my glasses! I can't find my glasses, I can't see the lesson without my glasses!
Mom: You've lost them again? Where did you put them this time?!
Me: I don't know!!

Then I turn around and my glasses fall off, or I rest my head in my hands and feel the glasses XD
Haaaaaaah, I'm not even going to try recording dreams anymore ;__;

But, I just lived a real life nightmare of embarrassment.

This is a really long story I'm sorry X'C

I went to the campus library to borrow some books for an impending research paper, getting there involved briskly climbing 6 flights of stairs so I was sort of dying by the time I got there... I went straight to the shelves I knew my books were on, but the while aisle was blocked by piles of chairs....so I climbed between the chairs and the wall, and grabbed a few books on my list. All was well. (Except the weird chair hoard. That was bizarre.) I checked my list again and started looking for the most important book I'd listed, but couldn't find it. I searched shelf after shelf, mountaineering over the chairs carrying a huge pile of books. I gave up and asked some staff if they could help and they were really nice. Four poor library staff were looking everywhere for this book, and we're about to fill in a lost form, when I realised...

The book was in my hands the whole time.

So, I didn't say anything at first, played it 'cool' and said I didn't really need the book anyway, but the staff were just SO CONCERNED for this book and wouldn't stop searching- one lady was sacrificing her lunch break! After about 10 minutes I decided to pull out some "amazing" acting skills and pretended to have just discovered the book in my hand, acted extremely cute and they were all patting me on the shoulder and back; "Awww that's ok sweetie!" We all laughed and then when they were gone I RAN LIKE HELL.

You sure that wasn't a dream O_O?
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #118 on: September 11, 2014, 05:25:46 PM »
So... I've only gotten 5 hours of sleep the last couple of nights, and then gone and worked the assembly line at work, instead of doing stuff at my desk.  This is the first time I've sat down since 6:30 and... I think I'm hallucinating a little bit.  I was resting my eyes and I could've sworn I just heard some girls having a conversation in the living room of my apartment, but I'm the only one here.  I need sleep...

Anyway, y'all think we should make a dream thread?  Sounds like a lot of fun to me.
I could move our dreamy posts over there, or not, whatever is okay with y'all.

Incidentally, seeing how we have so many people not from the southeastern States (almost everyone but me), has anyone never seen the word "y'all" before?  I've already used the word a good bit on here, but I'm a little curious about the etymology of the term on the interblag.
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #119 on: September 11, 2014, 05:35:05 PM »
Incidentally, seeing how we have so many people not from the southeastern States (almost everyone but me), has anyone never seen the word "y'all" before?  I've already used the word a good bit on here, but I'm a little curious about the etymology of the term on the interblag.

Y'all as in "y'all need jesus in yo' lives"? Only on TV.

Also sleep deprivation is a health hazard. Sleep lost is not easily regained.