Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387370 times)

heiteru

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: really don't care. you can use whatever you like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #17580 on: September 06, 2017, 04:49:57 AM »
*throws confetti* Welcome to Iceland!  ;D
native : :russia:
mistakes can't stop me: :uk: / :usa:
one day~ : :iceland: , :finland:

chapter joined : :chap5:
chapter break survivor: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

ROBIN, THANKS FOR THE AVATAR, YOU'RE THE BEST, LOVE YOU <3

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #17581 on: September 06, 2017, 06:47:08 AM »
Iceland seems to have a lot of deeply weird things :)
If SatW is to be trusted, that is pretty much Iceland's declared shtick
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

GunmanRex

• Scout
  • My legs are OK
« Reply #17582 on: September 06, 2017, 10:48:10 AM »
If SatW is to be trusted, that is pretty much Iceland's declared shtick
Iceland seems to have a lot of deeply weird things :)
Is it wrong that I now want to call Iceland "Nordic Japan"?
I feel it might be wrong on at least two levels.
Native: :usa:
Steadily Studying: :ireland:
Atrophied: :france:
Future: :wales: :scotland:

:chap16::chap17::chap18:

I ramble a lot

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #17583 on: September 06, 2017, 02:33:07 PM »
Norður-Japan has a nice ring to it.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Antillanka

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: her, thank you ;)
« Reply #17584 on: September 06, 2017, 10:27:48 PM »
Norður-Japan has a nice ring to it.

This thing has my approval <3
Iguana with issues

Speaks: :chile:('cause that sh*t ain't :spain: XD); :usa:

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #17585 on: September 08, 2017, 03:25:39 PM »
Anybody wanna come play SPAM-SSSS? That game's alive again, over on the SSSS board. It's fun; and we could use some new players.

We're attempting to build a viable community in year 4; and having some success. There's a batch of interesting problems to deal with, though.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #17586 on: September 09, 2017, 07:38:00 AM »
That might be amusing! Any room for me?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #17587 on: September 09, 2017, 07:45:53 AM »
After having seen Moomins everywhere in Stockholm and Helsinki, after having sent Moomins' postcards to the children I take care and heard parents saying "Oh, it was so nice with the little hippos !", after having heard my bookseller saying "How do you write that ? Never heard about it..." because I decided that I need to know more after conversations I couldn't take part and that I'm curious ^^ I have to bow to the evidence : France doesn't know Moomins, and  I don't understand why so few persons around my age have no memory at all because we had a cartoon (and I hadn't television, I saw a few of them because my grandpa was recording some cartoons to show to my brothers and me when we went to their home...)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #17588 on: September 09, 2017, 11:03:56 AM »
Mélusine, we know about Moomins in Australia! My kids and grandkids loved them. So did I.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #17589 on: September 09, 2017, 03:39:06 PM »
That might be amusing! Any room for me?

Do you mean in the SPAM-SSSS game? I don't see why not!

JacobThomsen

• Is currently trying to develop flammable lemons
  • Preferred pronouns: Him/he
« Reply #17590 on: September 09, 2017, 05:52:14 PM »
Anybody wanna come play SPAM-SSSS? That game's alive again, over on the SSSS board. It's fun; and we could use some new players.
Same for Spamkingdom here on the General Discussion Board, and I'm sure that Solokov over at Spamadventure wouldn't mind having more players either.
Native: :denmark:
Fluent (more or less): :uk:
If I have to (but please don't make me): :germany:
Somewhat understands: :norway: :sweden:

:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #17591 on: September 09, 2017, 05:56:59 PM »
I was introduced to an app called inaturalist and I like it so much! Basically, it is for recording wildlife around you, and it helps you identify what you observe, and it also lets knowledgeable persons identify what you have seen. For example,  yesterday I saw a bug and was able to go "ooo nice shiny bug", and after consulting with my dad narrowing it down to "some kind of løpebille  (ground beetle) but today a zoologist identified it for me as carabus morbillosus, yay! *shakes nearest person to shout: this is fantastic!*

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #17592 on: September 09, 2017, 06:26:08 PM »
I was introduced to an app called inaturalist and I like it so much! Basically, it is for recording wildlife around you, and it helps you identify what you observe, and it also lets knowledgeable persons identify what you have seen. For example,  yesterday I saw a bug and was able to go "ooo nice shiny bug", and after consulting with my dad narrowing it down to "some kind of løpebille  (ground beetle) but today a zoologist identified it for me as carabus morbillosus, yay! *shakes nearest person to shout: this is fantastic!*

That's really awesome! I had the idea to do something similar with the nature preserves in my town when I was in middle school, but I didn't have the skills necessary to make it a reality. Glad to know that someone(s) did!
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #17593 on: September 09, 2017, 06:42:50 PM »

And in this case, the nearest person is on the other side of the globe, which is a separate kind of fantastic.  I'm still in the "ooo nice shiny bug" zone myself.  Genus carabus - is this one of the beetles they get carmine dye out of, I wonder?
I hope that no-one's disappointed when they think your app is inaturist (which if it doesn't exist bloody well should) where you can a) find nude beaches and other clothing-optional lovely places, or b) picture everyone around you naked. 
 :P
I was going somewhere with that, and I don't think I like it anymore.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #17594 on: September 10, 2017, 03:31:22 AM »
And in this case, the nearest person is on the other side of the globe, which is a separate kind of fantastic.  I'm still in the "ooo nice shiny bug" zone myself.  Genus carabus - is this one of the beetles they get carmine dye out of, I wonder?
I hope that no-one's disappointed when they think your app is inaturist (which if it doesn't exist bloody well should) where you can a) find nude beaches and other clothing-optional lovely places, or b) picture everyone around you naked. 
 :P
I was going somewhere with that, and I don't think I like it anymore.
haa, quick search turns out that inaturist exists as a twitter and flicr account and more buuut I don't think I'll go there...