Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387308 times)

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #17100 on: February 26, 2017, 10:03:38 AM »
It's February and we just had a really bad thunderstorm. ...Did I mention that it's February? We shouldn't be having thunderstorms! We had one snow storm! That one storm dropped almost a foot of snow! The next week we go back to late-Spring weather! WHY.

We had a thunderstorm too.... the weather is weird
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #17101 on: February 26, 2017, 10:35:28 AM »
It's February and we just had a really bad thunderstorm. ...Did I mention that it's February? We shouldn't be having thunderstorms! We had one snow storm! That one storm dropped almost a foot of snow! The next week we go back to late-Spring weather! WHY.

I know! Yesterday it was 70F (21C) here, and I couldn't fathom it. It was lovely weather, but for May, not for February! The weather has been really messed up for the past month or so.
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #17102 on: February 26, 2017, 06:38:45 PM »
Yeah, we've had a few days lately where the temp has been in the high 30s during the day, and down near freezing at night.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they
« Reply #17103 on: February 26, 2017, 07:32:44 PM »
...I woke up several hours later than I have this entire week for reasons that aren't really clear. And of course it was on the day that I had to open the store. I woke up 20 minutes after it should have opened. And it takes half an hour to walk over. Good thing one of my friends was able to give me a ride...
~*~ a confused stop sign ~*~

Fluent: :canada: :usa: :australia: :uk:
Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #17104 on: February 27, 2017, 09:55:37 AM »
Weird weather all over.  It's our second freakishly warm winter in a row.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Iceea

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #17105 on: February 27, 2017, 02:46:13 PM »
yeppers on the "freakishly warm winter" it was 72F, 22C last Friday. Very nice but I can't help thinking we're gonna' pay for it later on in some way.
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #17106 on: February 27, 2017, 03:16:41 PM »
yeppers on the "freakishly warm winter" it was 72F, 22C last Friday. Very nice but I can't help thinking we're gonna' pay for it later on in some way.

You mean as the climate continues to change and we all get screwed over?

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

Jethan

• Ranger
  • Lurker and Forum Gamer
« Reply #17107 on: February 27, 2017, 08:16:25 PM »
Meanwhile it snowed today.  I think there were a couple weeks it snowed in December, and a week long snowstorm in February, and now again it happened. It usually just rains or freezes with clear skies.  I am not used to so much snow. xD 
An innate goofball who wanted to be elegant and composed.  That ain't happening.

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #17108 on: February 27, 2017, 09:48:31 PM »
I'm afraid we may pay for it here in the second year running of almost no tree fruit crop in the area. I haven't much in that line myself but some people rely heavily on their tree fruit crops -- and lots of people rely on having them to eat; the stuff shipped in hasn't got the flavor.

At least we're unlikely to drown here if/when the sea level rises -- except possibly in people moving in from the coasts.

Róisín

« Reply #17109 on: February 28, 2017, 12:33:30 AM »
Sea level is already rising enough to trouble some of the flatter Pacific nations.

Our cherry crop was cruddy this year, most of the eating peaches didn't survive the spring storms in the middle of blossoming. Fortunately the peaches I use for cooking, drying and liqueurs flowered later and have a decent crop. Bumper crops of quinces (I grow Smyrna, Japanese and Chinese), likewise rosehips, this year. Reasonable crop of apples, though many in the district have been less lucky, maybe because my apple trees are older hardy varieties such as Cox's Orange Pippin, Belle de Boskoop, Court Plat Pendu, Golden Harvey and Geeveston Fanny - cider and cooking apples with a few oldstyle tart eating apples. Modern apples seem to be more fragile.

The pears didn't crop at all, nor the nut trees. Of the plums, only Greengage, D'Agen and the Damson did much at all. All the blackcurrant bushes and a couple of cherry trees died. Lots of berries survived though. We seem to have far fewer honeybees about than usual. Less of a problem for me because I provide habitat for the native bees and they do some of the pollination, rough on the local orchardists. The weird season has been hardest on the growers of winegrapes. Vintage is running more than a month late in our area, which mucks up the harvesting and pressing schedule and a lot of the processing downstream from there.

I think we'll have a food crisis long before we have to worry about flooding.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #17110 on: February 28, 2017, 09:51:39 AM »
Sea level is already rising enough to trouble some of the flatter Pacific nations.

Our cherry crop was cruddy this year, most of the eating peaches didn't survive the spring storms in the middle of blossoming. Fortunately the peaches I use for cooking, drying and liqueurs flowered later and have a decent crop. Bumper crops of quinces (I grow Smyrna, Japanese and Chinese), likewise rosehips, this year. Reasonable crop of apples, though many in the district have been less lucky, maybe because my apple trees are older hardy varieties such as Cox's Orange Pippin, Belle de Boskoop, Court Plat Pendu, Golden Harvey and Geeveston Fanny - cider and cooking apples with a few oldstyle tart eating apples. Modern apples seem to be more fragile.

The pears didn't crop at all, nor the nut trees. Of the plums, only Greengage, D'Agen and the Damson did much at all. All the blackcurrant bushes and a couple of cherry trees died. Lots of berries survived though. We seem to have far fewer honeybees about than usual. Less of a problem for me because I provide habitat for the native bees and they do some of the pollination, rough on the local orchardists. The weird season has been hardest on the growers of winegrapes. Vintage is running more than a month late in our area, which mucks up the harvesting and pressing schedule and a lot of the processing downstream from there.

I think we'll have a food crisis long before we have to worry about flooding.

I don't expect much flooding here directly where I live, but the south shore is going to have more problems now than they did.  As it is already they get hammered every few years.

OwlsG0

• I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #17111 on: February 28, 2017, 11:38:16 PM »
Me: First day of lectures! Gotta make a good impression and stay organised
Me to me: Read the wrong time-table, miss your lecture completely, then get so heat-sick you end up puking in some bamboo!

(Being agnostic has the advantage of being able to curse God whenever I get a day like this)
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Róisín

« Reply #17112 on: March 01, 2017, 12:37:21 AM »
Urbicande: was the south shore where the subways flooded a few years ago? That sounded quite scary.

OwlsGo: sympathy and hugs! Sounds like no fun at all. Heatsickness is terrible, I get it when I'm doing something vigorous when the temperature is past the high thirties and heading into the forties, being as I am designed for a much cooler climate.. The only solution I've found is to lie in the shade with a cool damp cloth on my head, cautiously sipping an electrolyte replacement drink and trying not to throw up. The headache is unpleasant too. I hope you feel better soon.

Mention it to your lecturer, they may be less annoyed at your absence if they know you were ill rather than slacking. And mental confusion from heatsickness is fairly common. Luck!

heiteru

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: really don't care. you can use whatever you like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #17113 on: March 01, 2017, 06:23:45 AM »
Today I too read my time-table wrong and miss almost all my lectures... Urgh, okay. It's happens sometimes з:
native : :russia:
mistakes can't stop me: :uk: / :usa:
one day~ : :iceland: , :finland:

chapter joined : :chap5:
chapter break survivor: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

ROBIN, THANKS FOR THE AVATAR, YOU'RE THE BEST, LOVE YOU <3

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #17114 on: March 01, 2017, 08:12:20 AM »
Urbicande: was the south shore where the subways flooded a few years ago? That sounded quite scary.

No, the subway flooding was in New York City -- NYC subways are the metro system/underground/mass transit.

What happened on the south shore wasn't any better, though.  Houses washed away in the storm surge, major flooding, entire neighborhoods gone.