Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411494 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #16920 on: December 29, 2016, 12:28:00 AM »
Back online for the moment, we have power where I am, though a lot of the region is still dark. Phone system isn't fully back up yet, but at least we have some slow internet. Roof is leaking worse (damn you insurance company for being so slow with repairs from the last lot of storms, now it's all to do again, and a lot more of it). Grumblemuttercursegrumble! We had some flooding but no irreparable damage. Trees down all over, including my garden. Now for an annoying evening of cleaning up and emptying the defrosted freezer and the fridge (both recently restocked after the last lot of storms), and getting mud out of the carpets. *goes off muttering darkly about helluva way to spend the leadup to New Year*
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #16921 on: December 29, 2016, 11:09:55 PM »
Róisín, glad at least that you are safe!

Can you make a New Year's feast out of all the thawing stuff from the freezers? though I expect it's way more than you can eat. And as you're having hot weather you'd have to eat it fast . . .

Róisín

« Reply #16922 on: December 30, 2016, 02:20:37 AM »
We have guests for New Year, so that is what I intend to do, yes.

Basse

• Scout
  • I don't know what I'm doing!
« Reply #16923 on: December 30, 2016, 03:45:05 PM »
I don't know who's doing the small changes to the forums header but I like it!

Native: :sweden:
:chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
:book3:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #16924 on: December 30, 2016, 03:48:11 PM »
I don't know who's doing the small changes to the forums header but I like it!

That would be the wonderful Eriaror :)
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Basse

• Scout
  • I don't know what I'm doing!
« Reply #16925 on: December 30, 2016, 04:16:28 PM »
That would be the wonderful Eriaror :)
Excellent work by Eriaror then  :)
Native: :sweden:
:chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
:book3:

OwlsG0

• I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #16926 on: December 30, 2016, 05:01:48 PM »
So I'm about to do my first serious hike over in New Zealand. It's two days long, I've got hiking boots and a frame pack and I'm going with an experienced bush-whacker. Still, I am a hiking baby as the only real experience I can claim is going around the Grand Canyon when I was nine. Anybody got any advice?
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Róisín

« Reply #16927 on: December 30, 2016, 05:57:22 PM »
It's New Zealand. Especially in the mountains, be prepared for the weather to do something utterly unexpected. With no warning. Pack a survival blanket and some concentrated food just in case. NZ has no venomous snakes, only one venomous spider: the katipo, a kind of redback which is rare and only found near the coast), but does have deer, unruly dogs and the occasional feral pig. And keas, large intelligent parrot-like birds which will tear up an unwatched backpack and steal your food. They can actually undo laces and buckles.

The most dangerous things I ever encountered in NZ were weather and terrain - mud, rockslides, sudden mountain rainstorms and wind squalls. Otherwise  it's an amazingly safe country, and breathtakingly beautiful, especially the mountains and fjords. If you are hiking, watch out for loose and slippery rocks.

Edit: look after your feet, especially if the boots are new. Blisters are no fun!

Jerzy_S

« Reply #16928 on: December 31, 2016, 05:37:06 AM »
OwlsG0, good luck with the trip!

And Róisín, your post actually made me add New Zealand to my wishlist (the third item on the list, at the moment). I have to visit it in the future! And maybe then, if I am lucky, I will see a tuatara :D

Róisín

« Reply #16929 on: December 31, 2016, 06:46:49 AM »
Jerzy, seeing a tuatara is well worth the trip. They are beautiful and very strange. If you get a chance, go on a trip to one of the sanctuary islands to see a kakapo - I think they are now extinct on the mainland? Which are the countries ahead of New Zealand on your list?

Jerzy_S

« Reply #16930 on: December 31, 2016, 10:50:06 AM »
Yes, kakapos seem to be animals worth seeing too! They look beatiful. Also seeing a kiwi would be a great experience. They are adorable.

The countries ahead of NZ on my list are Iceland (not very original, but I really want to go there!) and Ireland (I must see the Book of Kells, at least once in my life. I must!). Both are beautiful islands with astonishing nature, fascinating history, folklore and amazing language.
Then, after NZ, there are Czech Republic, Norway, Estonia, Lithuania and Latvia (I'd like to visit them during one trip), Bawaria and... something else, I haven't decided yet.
I wish I had travelled more!

Róisín

« Reply #16931 on: December 31, 2016, 10:58:10 AM »
Well, if you wind up in Australia, there are a few of us here to visit!

Jerzy_S

« Reply #16932 on: December 31, 2016, 11:10:35 AM »
Thanks, I will remember about it :D

Guardian G.I.

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • and normal people close
« Reply #16933 on: December 31, 2016, 04:34:03 PM »
It's half an hour into 2017 here already. Happy New Year to everyone!!
Fluent: :russia:
Very rusty:
Can understand, but not speak: :ukraine:
Learning: :uk: :germany:

OwlsG0

• I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #16934 on: December 31, 2016, 05:35:33 PM »
It's New Zealand. Especially in the mountains, be prepared for the weather to do something utterly unexpected. With no warning. Pack a survival blanket and some concentrated food just in case. NZ has no venomous snakes, only one venomous spider: the katipo, a kind of redback which is rare and only found near the coast), but does have deer, unruly dogs and the occasional feral pig. And keas, large intelligent parrot-like birds which will tear up an unwatched backpack and steal your food. They can actually undo laces and buckles.

The most dangerous things I ever encountered in NZ were weather and terrain - mud, rockslides, sudden mountain rainstorms and wind squalls. Otherwise  it's an amazingly safe country, and breathtakingly beautiful, especially the mountains and fjords. If you are hiking, watch out for loose and slippery rocks.

Edit: look after your feet, especially if the boots are new. Blisters are no fun!

Wow. I think I might just stay home after all.

Seriously though, thanks for the advice. I'll be hiking in a glacial area as well so mudslides are kind of a concern. There's a small-ish creek we'll have to ford, and every time I think about having to do that part of the trip I think about that moment in Fellowship of the Ring where Arwen makes a bunch of river horses.
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: