Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387541 times)

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #2205 on: December 09, 2014, 06:36:48 PM »
Hmm, first new page in two weeks and the forum is the least busy it's been in weeks.  :-\
Feel free to PM.

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #2206 on: December 09, 2014, 06:40:55 PM »
Hmm, first new page in two weeks and the forum is the least busy it's been in weeks.  :-\

But the comment section under the page is filled with life.
Just wait. Soon...
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2207 on: December 09, 2014, 06:55:15 PM »

I was online like, all of last night and there was like only one new post. Seemed to me everyone left around the time the page was put up, unsurprisingly.
I'm a forum person more than a comments person myself, so I'll always be here :)

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2208 on: December 09, 2014, 07:08:24 PM »
But the comment section under the page is filled with life.
Just wait. Soon...
*Checks the comic*
Oh, I didn't even realize there were so many comments...  Thanks for pointing that out. 
The discussion awaits.

I was online like, all of last night and there was like only one new post. Seemed to me everyone left around the time the page was put up, unsurprisingly.
I'm a forum person more than a comments person myself, so I'll always be here :)
Yeah, I'm not sure what I was expecting, honestly.  Though I did see one of your Emil pictures over there in one little comment.
:D
Feel free to PM.

curiosity

• Scout
« Reply #2209 on: December 09, 2014, 07:20:20 PM »

Seems that we're brethren here.
I find it easier to catch up with new posts on the forum, the flow of the commets is too quick, and I am too sloooooow...
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2210 on: December 09, 2014, 07:28:35 PM »
Yeah, I'm not sure what I was expecting, honestly.  Though I did see one of your Emil pictures over there in one little comment.
:D

Oh yes, I was present. A couple times I think. It's just that everyone posts so many comments and someone will have, like, already said what I was going to say.  :P

I find it easier to catch up with new posts on the forum, the flow of the commets is too quick, and I am too sloooooow...

^ I feel this. I can never formulate my thoughts quick enough.

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

curiosity

• Scout
« Reply #2211 on: December 09, 2014, 07:35:25 PM »
Oh yes, I was present. A couple times I think. It's just that everyone posts so many comments and someone will have, like, already said what I was going to say.  :P
^ I feel this. I can never formulate my thoughts quick enough.

So true. It can be a real pain in the... well, it can be pain. Plus consulting the dictionary when I'm not sure.
That's why I've never been too active during my classes: others think faster that I do.

But the lack of speed doesn't mean the lack of thought itself, right? We can be smart enough, but not fast enough. And then people start to think that you're kind of dumb. So you have to prove them wrong.

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #2212 on: December 09, 2014, 07:35:33 PM »

Same.

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #2213 on: December 09, 2014, 07:37:36 PM »
So true. It can be a real pain in the... well, it can be pain. Plus consulting the dictionary when I'm not sure.
That's why I've never been too active during my classes: others think faster that I do.

But the lack of speed doesn't mean the lack of thought itself, right? We can be smart enough, but not fast enough. And then people start to think that you're kind of dumb. So you have to prove them wrong.
Think faster?
Actually they'll just memorize new information easier and without proper investigation, they're just like walking USB-sticks :D

I'm also somewhat slow learner...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 07:41:50 PM by Oskutin »

curiosity

• Scout
« Reply #2214 on: December 09, 2014, 07:45:21 PM »
Think faster?
Actually they'll just accept new information easier and without proper investigation.

I'm also somewhat slow learner...

It's easy to say - think faster. And sometimes you just can't. I have a good memory and I can memorize things pretty quick (especially poetry), but when I need to shape my thoughts into words really fast... well, I need a time to make it properly, for I am not satisfied with anything that is worse than decent.

Say, do you sometimes have unexpected flash, when you need to come up with a solution, and you do so at the speed of light? Because I know I do, which is always a surprise.

they're just like walking USB-sticks :D

Gosh, I want to be like that during my exam sessions.  :P
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 07:46:58 PM by curiosity »

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2215 on: December 09, 2014, 07:48:58 PM »

It's why I could never be on a game show. I don't even want to think about what would happen to me at a job interview...

It's easy to say - think faster. And sometimes you just can't. I have a good memory and I can memorize things pretty quick (especially poetry), but when I need to shape my thoughts into words really fast... well, I need a time to make it properly, for I am not satisfied with anything that is worse than decent.

And this is why I can never do timed essays!

curiosity

• Scout
« Reply #2216 on: December 09, 2014, 08:00:27 PM »
It's why I could never be on a game show. I don't even want to think about what would happen to me at a job interview...
And this is why I can never do timed essays!

Job interviews, ew... They are not that bad, in fact. I've had only one, but it went pretty well. The interviewer was a very nice lady, not much older than myself, and I knew in advance that she liked my project, but it didn't help. I was so worried that I had to keep my hands pushed to the table to stop them shaking.
But looking back now, it wasn't scary at all. When it has begun, there's no turning back, so try to relax and be natural. After all, it's not a matter of life and death, and if you won't be accepted for this job, there are plenty of others that you can try to apply for.  :)

Timed essays, on the other hand... Still can't bear it. Actually, I should be doing one at the very moment  ;D Well, I still have a whole night ahead, think I can manage it.

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #2217 on: December 09, 2014, 08:01:37 PM »

I do different kinds of commentary on each... Throwaway stuff and jokes on disqus, more considered stuff here.

But on a slow forum I start getting worried that I'm talking too much and go "uh oh Hush shut up and just listen a little now". So last night I was mainly lurking waiting for someone else to talk first... XD

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #2218 on: December 09, 2014, 08:03:19 PM »

Say, do you sometimes have unexpected flash, when you need to come up with a solution, and you do so at the speed of light? Because I know I do, which is always a surprise.

Gosh, I want to be like that during my exam sessions.  :P

Had my statistical math exam today, and i have to say that being walking USB during those situations would be usefull.
Yesterday everything seemed to be very clear and logical, buuuuut... During the exam, "what I am supposed to do in this task", "What was the equation i supposed to use" and "I remember i had to use something like that here, but excatly what?" and etc. 

And those flashes and ideas does happen and then they refine and built into complex theory very quickly.
Those are often triggered/caused by internal thoughs and interests (and maybe some external impulse as trigger), but school things requiring something isn't enough to trigger those.

curiosity

• Scout
« Reply #2219 on: December 09, 2014, 08:14:07 PM »
Had my statistical math exam today, and i have to say that being walking USB during those situations would be usefull.
Yesterday everything seemed to be very clear and logical, buuuuut... During the exam, "what I am supposed to do in this task", "What was the equation i supposed to use" and "I remember i had to use something like that here, but excatly what?" and etc. 

And those flashes and ideas does happen and then they refine and built into complex theory very quickly.
Those are often triggered/caused by internal thoughs and interests (and maybe some external impulse as trigger), but school things requiring something isn't enough to trigger those.

Well, being a walking USB would be useful during any exam, whether it is mathematical statistics, history or civil law. Everything requires memorizing stuff that your brain normally rejects to store, because it thinks this is useless and boooooring.

On the contrary, I tend to think that those flashes are triggered by external situations. I mean, when you have to make an excuse quickly, and an excellent idea descends on you. But if you are talking about creative ideas that come to you with no apparent reason, then yes, you are right. How many times has an idea visited me on my way to the store and back?..  :D Also, fresh air really helps to think. And solitary walks, yes.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 08:18:05 PM by curiosity »