Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411311 times)

Valerre

• pronounced Va-lair
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #16770 on: November 13, 2016, 04:22:23 PM »
I just want to thank you all for the civil discussion. It is extremely refreshing after a week of people arguing and being at eachother's throats.

It's been getting a little more real to me in the past couple of days as 3 of my female friends have been assaulted/harassed by men since the election. This has made me feel the need to bunker down at home this weekend with hope that it will clear up soon. But I am afraid of what could happen if it doesn't. Additionally, the university community I work in is generally a safe space as we advocate diversity and acceptance. However, that safety bubble was broken when someone went into the main building and posted hundreds of sticky notes with hate speech written on them the day after the election. The university is checking security footage and investigating so I'm sure that person will be confronted; even if the damage is already done.
------------------------

But I want to move on a bit from the politics and just say hello to everyone and wish you all a wonderful start to your week! :) Had some big assignments due this week that are finally over so I've been happily resting and watching art streams, leisurely drinking my coffee, and the like. I'm also very excited for the chapter break to be over soon.  ;) I hope you all had restful weekends as well, and if not, productive ones!
Native::usa:
Fluentish: :spain:
Learning: :vaticancity: :japan: Hawaiian
On my bucket list: :portugal:

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #16771 on: November 13, 2016, 04:50:53 PM »
Valerre, the haters and trolls and violent people will always be there (at least, for the foreseeable future): sometimes hidden, sometimes obvious. Keeping them all at a distance might not be in your power, but what you can always do is spread kindness, optimism and strength in your circles and let that too become a trend. I read something interesting the other day here:

We’ve shown that altruistic behavior ripples through networks and so does meanness. Networks will magnify whatever they are seeded with. They will magnify Ebola and fascism and unhappiness and violence, but also they will magnify love and altruism and happiness and information.

I don't wanna make my comment much longer, everyone should read the article at the link instead. It was a needed boost of optimism for me.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 04:58:30 PM by Sc0ut »

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #16772 on: November 13, 2016, 07:09:39 PM »
Sc0ut, I think you have the right of it. I've always found that doing my best to fix the bit of life that is under my hand gives the best longterm results. That is an interesting article, and I have found those principles to apply in real life. And yes, the haters we have always with us, sadly, it's just whether or not society has given them permission to act out their power fantasies on the vulnerable. All the rest of us can do is help and protect as we can, and try to survive through the bad times. And this time try to learn from the experience: as the saying goes, those who are ignore the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them.

Valerre, it's sad that this stuff is happening already. I expected it, but hoped that I was wrong. I'd say take Sc0ut's good advice, and also build your own mutual support networks, if you don't already have them. Arrange with friends to go in groups to places where you might be vulnerable (using the laundry rooms late at night, going off-campus at weekends, walking to your car in the evenings, that sort of thing). Keep your mobile phone charged and handy, let somebody know where you are going, keep in touch with your friends and family. Good luck and keep safe, and I'm glad you had a quiet weekend.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #16773 on: November 14, 2016, 02:26:55 AM »
So, I know the hype has kinda passed for this now, but I finally watched Stranger Things and oh my various deities that show is amazing and I cannot wait for season 2!!! XoX so many parallels to ssss as well, it would be so great for a crossover!!
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #16774 on: November 14, 2016, 11:18:47 AM »
So, I know the hype has kinda passed for this now, but I finally watched Stranger Things and oh my various deities that show is amazing and I cannot wait for season 2!!! XoX so many parallels to ssss as well, it would be so great for a crossover!!

That's what I was thinking literally all through the show! And I still really want to see Sigrun and Lalli <i>own</i> the Upside Down. *hint* *hint*
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

OwlsG0

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #16775 on: November 14, 2016, 03:31:16 PM »
That's what I was thinking literally all through the show! And I still really want to see Sigrun and Lalli <i>own</i> the Upside Down. *hint* *hint*

AU where the Demogorgon has left the upside-down because it's running from Sigrun and Lalli.
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #16776 on: November 14, 2016, 06:26:30 PM »
I made a thing (that is, I finished a thing I started last year): http://imgur.com/gallery/g5J9B (full size: http://i.imgur.com/5V2M3mE.png); might appeal to minnions.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #16777 on: November 14, 2016, 06:58:30 PM »
That is very interesting to me as I have just finished a series of book on writing by Eric Havelock, namely: The literate revolution in Greece and it's cultural consequence, The muses learns to write, and Preface to Plato, as well as The Presence of the World by Walter Ong. All these books explore, and build on McLuhan and Innis, the consequences of writing systems on, in this case, specifically western civilization from the Greeks onward.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #16778 on: November 17, 2016, 03:35:17 PM »
Every now and again I hear a song that just punches me in the gut.

Doesn't matter that I've heard it a thousand times before and even cover it myself sometimes.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Róisín

« Reply #16779 on: November 17, 2016, 06:29:39 PM »
Yeah, there are songs like that. No matter how often you sing it.....

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #16780 on: November 17, 2016, 07:03:41 PM »
I wasn't even singing. I was at work listening to a playlist of random stuff and...boom.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

Róisín

« Reply #16781 on: November 17, 2016, 11:34:21 PM »
*patpats Urbicande*

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they
« Reply #16782 on: November 20, 2016, 02:27:51 PM »
So I was just thinking, it actually means a lot to me that I have y'all on here because you guys are just so great and wonderful and I just love this whole group 'cause y'all are so nice and I just wanted to thank you guys. Because even if elsewhere people are getting up in arms, everyone here just seems to be really nice and it's just such a great place to be here. So thank you. :))

Runs off to hide in a corner
~*~ a confused stop sign ~*~

Fluent: :canada: :usa: :australia: :uk:
Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #16783 on: November 20, 2016, 03:39:39 PM »
So I was just thinking, it actually means a lot to me that I have y'all on here because you guys are just so great and wonderful and I just love this whole group 'cause y'all are so nice and I just wanted to thank you guys. Because even if elsewhere people are getting up in arms, everyone here just seems to be really nice and it's just such a great place to be here. So thank you. :))

Runs off to hide in a corner

Awwwww *hugs* you're awesome too :)

ALSO GUYS IT'S SNOWING THERE IS SNOW EVERYWHERE AND IT'S BEAUTIFUL
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #16784 on: November 20, 2016, 04:20:22 PM »
Awwwww *hugs* you're awesome too :)

ALSO GUYS IT'S SNOWING THERE IS SNOW EVERYWHERE AND IT'S BEAUTIFUL

We have wet and windy and raw.  I wouldn't mind some snow!