Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410673 times)

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #2070 on: December 03, 2014, 06:21:33 PM »
Boy does the norhern Norwegian branch of the family know how to throw a christmas party... :o

Those rowdy northerners, so full of crazy.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #2071 on: December 03, 2014, 06:42:14 PM »
I did not mean offence to you or to the north of Norway. These people are part of the bad stereotype, the kind that started doing drugs and drunk at 16, never stopping since, and never ever left the tiny fishing village. I think the only jobs one can actually get on Melby are in Norwegian Seafoods, the company throwing the christmas party he died gatecrashing. And if I seem insensitive, I didn't know him at all. It's just really f***ed up! Says in this Norwegian news article that he died while being bound on hands and feet. :o

The stereotype has some sense to it though. Northerners are a wild bunch, especially middle-aged people and the northern "hillbillies".

The link doesn't work but I did read something about someone being killed while hogtied in the paper version.

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #2072 on: December 03, 2014, 07:09:37 PM »
The stereotype has some sense to it though. Northerners are a wild bunch, especially middle-aged people and the northern "hillbillies".

The link doesn't work but I did read something about someone being killed while hogtied in the paper version.
Here:
http://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/politiet-doede-mens-han-var-bundet-paa-hender-og-foetter/a/23348346/

The link had extra "/" in it.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #2073 on: December 03, 2014, 11:04:57 PM »
I did not mean offence to you or to the north of Norway. These people are part of the bad stereotype, the kind that started doing drugs and drunk at 16, never stopping since, and never ever left the tiny fishing village. I think the only jobs one can actually get on Melbu are in Norwegian Seafoods, the company throwing the christmas party he died gatecrashing. And if I seem insensitive, I didn't know him at all. It's just really f***ed up! Says in this Norwegian news article that he died while being bound on hands and feet. :o

I'm sorry to hear about your cousin.
As a former newspaper reporter (in a rather rough part of California not unlike northern Norway, where I covered the police/disaster beat), I know that death could be around the corner for any of us.  (Car crash, falling rock, heart attack...) 
But it's sad that his death seems like the inevitable consequence of being stuck in a disadvantaged place... or maybe of having the kind of character where even relatives predict that he'd likely end up killing someone.  I'm sure the old Norse sagas are full of gloomy statements that "you can't outrun your Fate."  But it's sad that his caught up to him so early and in such a grotesque way. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #2074 on: December 03, 2014, 11:12:12 PM »
Does people use and have Steam?

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2075 on: December 03, 2014, 11:17:49 PM »
Does people use and have Steam?
Yep!  I've been needing some more steam pals...
Oh, should we take this to the video game thread?
Feel free to PM.

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #2076 on: December 04, 2014, 03:03:32 PM »
Soooo... IT test tomorrow. I was feeling ready for it. No need to study several hours.
I spent three hours drawing circuits and converting decimal/exadecimal numbers to binary and back. Not because I needed it, but because the others needed my help. Oh well, I suppose I did a good action.
Dad came back from work (programming, software engineering, this kind of stuff) and I asked him to explain me something which in Italian is called "grouping by commmon factors" (to get a XOR). I could do it, but had no idea what I was doing or why. So he sat down and started drawing and making counts and... Uh... Apparently he does not remember this stuff. Darn.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #2077 on: December 04, 2014, 04:58:03 PM »
Random observation: Americans know how to do fast food. Granted there's a lot of bad American fast food chains, but as I was looking through the menus of Chipotle and Panera I felt really jealous. All we get over here are the really bad chains like McDonalds, Domino's and Burger King. I wish we could at least get Taco Bell and Pizza Hut.

P__

« Reply #2078 on: December 04, 2014, 05:25:48 PM »
Soooo... IT test tomorrow. I was feeling ready for it. No need to study several hours.
I spent three hours drawing circuits and converting decimal/exadecimal numbers to binary and back. Not because I needed it, but because the others needed my help. Oh well, I suppose I did a good action.
Dad came back from work (programming, software engineering, this kind of stuff) and I asked him to explain me something which in Italian is called "grouping by commmon factors" (to get a XOR). I could do it, but had no idea what I was doing or why. So he sat down and started drawing and making counts and... Uh... Apparently he does not remember this stuff. Darn.

heh. Soon we'll have one more engineer on this forum (or whatever your kind of brainiacs do)
in France we didn't have an IT course u_u ... I think I remember common factors from math though, but it's from a time when I was too busy programming some game on my calculator to actually listen :/ so I can't help
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #2079 on: December 04, 2014, 06:20:37 PM »
Soooo, I've recently heard that Finnish passport has a nice design, which includes a moose on every second page, each time drawn slightly different, so that when you flip pages fast enough, it looks as if the moose is walking. Any Finnish citizens to confirm it?
Also, do other countries have any interesting perks in their passports and/or other identity documents?
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2080 on: December 04, 2014, 06:23:30 PM »
Buy a PS3 and get Little Big Planet 2, if you want to learn how to program logic.  That's how I did it, and programming was pretty much the only thing I knew how to do in my electrical engineering class.

Random observation: Americans know how to do fast food. Granted there's a lot of bad American fast food chains, but as I was looking through the menus of Chipotle and Panera I felt really jealous. All we get over here are the really bad chains like McDonalds, Domino's and Burger King. I wish we could at least get Taco Bell and Pizza Hut.
You definitely don't want Taco Bell.  O___O
It only causes pain... pain and suffering.
I've never been to chipotle or Panera, though.
Feel free to PM.

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #2081 on: December 04, 2014, 06:38:47 PM »
Soooo, I've recently heard that Finnish passport has a nice design, which includes a moose on every second page, each time drawn slightly different, so that when you flip pages fast enough, it looks as if the moose is walking. Any Finnish citizens to confirm it?
Also, do other countries have any interesting perks in their passports and/or other identity documents?
Yep, the walking moose is in it.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #2082 on: December 04, 2014, 06:45:48 PM »
Buy a PS3 and get Little Big Planet 2, if you want to learn how to program logic.  That's how I did it, and programming was pretty much the only thing I knew how to do in my electrical engineering class.

In that case I've been misled. When I studied in England the yankees were whining about the lack of Taco Bell (there is a single one at a particular mall, but it was apparently not up to Uncle Sam's standard) and Mountain Dew.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2083 on: December 04, 2014, 07:01:45 PM »

I've never been to Taco Bell, but I have no desire to. I never hear anything good about it. Luckily their food never looks appetizing to me anyway.
I looove both Chipotle and Panera, but I usually can't afford them. There's actually a Chipotle down the street from me and they're opening a Panera early next year right on the next block. That's both a curse and a blessing, because the main reason keeping me from eating at Panera more often is that it's a 9-10 block walk and I'd have to be really craving Panera food. Opening the one two blocks down from me will just tempt me to get food there more often.   :P *first world problems, I suppose*

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #2084 on: December 04, 2014, 07:05:52 PM »
I've never been to Taco Bell, but I have no desire to. I never hear anything good about it. Luckily their food never looks appetizing to me anyway.
I looove both Chipotle and Panera, but I usually can't afford them. There's actually a Chipotle down the street from me and they're opening a Panera early next year right on the next block. That's both a curse and a blessing, because the main reason keeping me from eating at Panera more often is that it's a 9-10 block walk and I'd have to be really craving Panera food. Opening the one two blocks down from me will just tempt me to get food there more often.   :P *first world problems, I suppose*
Out of curiosity, what is a block? Is it a standard unit of measurement in the US? Here in Europe the unit would't make sense since cities are too messy for the concept of blocks to be useful.