Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411445 times)

P__

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #2010 on: December 02, 2014, 04:52:22 AM »
Do you guys ever sleep??!
I was out for only 10 hours D:

Woah. There is always happening so much here overnight. As breakfast is over I like to add to the personalities discussion about on of the Questions there:
 "You are usually the first to react to a sudden event, such as
the telephone ringing or unexpected question"

A clear Yes, though at home as well as at work it is only, because we all try hard to sit it out and mostly I'm the one who's fast enough to grab the call before it dies completely. I think neither Jung nor Briggs considered this type of behavior...
;D Some questions I didn't even remember when they have last applied to me :-X (don't remember which now though, possibly the phone one as there's generally only one person in the room I'm in)
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2011 on: December 02, 2014, 07:04:20 AM »
Haha, I had a mental image of all the girls standing around in school corridors dressed à la Mean Girls with vacant, spaced-out eyes going "duuuuhhhhh...." Like Vogue zombies, with you hiding behind a locker with a shotgun going "there's no escape...tell sniper-mum I loved herrrrrrr!" And making a dash for class X'D oh dear...*realises weird humor probably isn't called for...* :/

Don't your friends ever say "hey Eich, there's a cutie at the cafeteria" or whatever boys say...? Unless that whole concept is tv fakery O___O
Not too far off, actually.

That's only happened to me once, over this summer hanging out with some lady friends.  I don't think it's too unusual, though.  Actually, at the post office yesterday there was some guy on the phone asking a girl if she wanted to meet up and study for their test.  She was clearly trying to get him to word it differently, but he kept saying, "yeah, let's meet up and study! That'll be fun!"  He left, and the guy who delivered my package said, "Somebody should tell that boy to just ask her out!  'Study time'... I mean that's just silly!" 
Feel free to PM.

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #2012 on: December 02, 2014, 07:38:20 AM »
Funny facts: in Helsinki the sun was visible for only 13 hours through November, 10 hours of that during the first two weeks. So from 15th to 30th November the good people of Helsinki could enjoy a total of two hours of sunlight.

Bloody climate change...

Do you mean that the sun just wasn't up at all or that it was overcast?

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #2013 on: December 02, 2014, 08:28:10 AM »
Do you mean that the sun just wasn't up at all or that it was overcast?

Probably overcast. I don't live further south than Helsinki and I'm pretty sure we've seen a lot more sun than that because it's been cloudless for weeks.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #2014 on: December 02, 2014, 08:37:01 AM »
Not too far off, actually.

That's only happened to me once, over this summer hanging out with some lady friends.  I don't think it's too unusual, though.  Actually, at the post office yesterday there was some guy on the phone asking a girl if she wanted to meet up and study for their test.  She was clearly trying to get him to word it differently, but he kept saying, "yeah, let's meet up and study! That'll be fun!"  He left, and the guy who delivered my package said, "Somebody should tell that boy to just ask her out!  'Study time'... I mean that's just silly!"

Yes, but at "study time" he can switch to studying if their encounter fails ;). Also he has not to think about what they have to do if he asks her out. Maybe he lacks ideas for things that might be done together. Or he was just afraid. If people were'nt afraid all the time, relationships could be easier. On the other hand, people would have to cope wiith hurt more and I think nobody wants that.

Edit: I talked about the girl who showed up against a a person bullying two younger girls at a MC'Donalds some days ago. After being diagnosed brain dead they put off the medical equipment last friday. This is quite bitter, paying for your live while you stand up for another being. It's not like we are at war now, that this was a family feud or we have to fight for food or something. The offender just hit her, because she interferred with him  pestering two teenagers (He waited outside on the parking lot, not inside). Now I have read in the newspaper that the "ANGER ON FACEBOOK" leads to situations were the personel of the MC'Donalds restaurant get's bullied because some people are sharing rumors about them. Those people are neither friends nor family, just stangers concentrating their anger on people whose conditions of work are far beyond anything good. Easy targets to get blamed for a situation mainly the offender is to be blamed. I wonder what is wrong there. If people want to take action now, they should start practicing intervention scenarios if they get into a situation where someone requires help. though statistics should not be trusted to far, psychologists have found out, that people react quicker and with more reason, if they went to possible scenarious on their mind in a calm situation.

Sorry for that long ramble...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 09:00:45 AM by kex »
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #2015 on: December 02, 2014, 11:30:06 AM »
Hey you guys, I thought I wouldn't clutter the actual thread by asking, but what the hell is the "Play by post" thread about? I understand it's a kind of game, read some pages from the start, but back then it's ANOTHER game than it is now and the whole thing is close to 140 pages. D: Is it a game of pure association? Can one not write anything that's already been written? Does that mean reading and memorizing 140 pages in order to participate? Halp. Thanks.

I failed to get it either. So, how about organizing games in separate threads, huh? That would be awesome.
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #2016 on: December 02, 2014, 11:37:15 AM »
At the moment it's just finding animals ending with the last letter of the former. In addition if no new animal is to be found, you can use other letters from that animal. This game has now lasted for longer than two pages, so it is rather stable ;). But yes, seperate topics might work better.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #2017 on: December 02, 2014, 11:49:02 AM »
I agree. Especially because some may not like certain games (for example I'm not crazy about the last letter game, but really liked the roleplay thing we had on. For many others it's the opposite). Shal we torture Eich until he creates a sub-board for games?
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #2018 on: December 02, 2014, 11:51:36 AM »
Unless it's only two to three games we could leave it at opening a new topic giving it the name of the game, a name including a hint what the game is about at best.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #2019 on: December 02, 2014, 11:52:39 AM »
Shal we torture Eich until he creates a sub-board for games?

No, we should kindly suggest. Because when you kindly suggest, people tend to do what you want more willingly than when tortured
trust me, I've tried
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2020 on: December 02, 2014, 12:14:52 PM »
I think games like the last-letter game don't require their own thread because they get boring and end quickly. I don't think we need a whole new board for games.
But for roleplay games, yes, I had so much fun with that. I would like to keep doing that.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #2021 on: December 02, 2014, 12:28:08 PM »
I agree. Especially because some may not like certain games (for example I'm not crazy about the last letter game, but really liked the roleplay thing we had on. For many others it's the opposite). Shal we torture Eich until he creates a sub-board for games?
I think games like the last-letter game don't require their own thread because they get boring and end quickly. I don't think we need a whole new board for games.
But for roleplay games, yes, I had so much fun with that. I would like to keep doing that.

I'm inclined to (somewhat strongly) disagree. The RP game had at most three or four active contributors. Those contributors in return spent most, if not all their time on the forum posting in that particular thread which rapidly grew in size. Activity on the forum is great, but when it's just in one thread with a small group while the rest of the forum stagnates it gets questionable. This is an SSSS forum after all. It also removes post counts as a meaningful measurement of actual contribution to the SSSS community. If we suddenly have two play by post threads then that problem is suddenly twice as big. Now, if people are dissatisfied with the current game then raising the suggestion of changing the game is an adequate solution. No one ever suggested that a second play by post thread should be created to cater to those who where dissatisfied with the rp-thing (which by the way had very diffuse "rules"). On the other hand, there is nothing stopping y'all from continuing your game through the forum's personal messaging system or similar venues. In fact that might be the best solution since the number of contributors to that game was consistently very low (as compared to the current and pre-rp contributors to the play by post thread).

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2022 on: December 02, 2014, 01:33:48 PM »
Um, if you don't like it, just don't involve yourself. I don't think there should be a separate thread for each new game on play by post. Of course we can suggest to change the game whenever. I however do think that if some of us would prefer to play roleplay games, then there could be a separate thread for that. I don't think that would be too cumbersome. And I personally do think that anyone can jump into a roleplay game at any time. Also, it wouldn't work through PMs because that'd just be a one-on-one conversation. And the whole point of this board is so we can talk about things unrelated to the comic...

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #2023 on: December 02, 2014, 01:36:43 PM »
I'm inclined to (somewhat strongly) disagree. The RP game had at most three or four active contributors. Those contributors in return spent most, if not all their time on the forum posting in that particular thread which rapidly grew in size. Activity on the forum is great, but when it's just in one thread with a small group while the rest of the forum stagnates it gets questionable. This is an SSSS forum after all. It also removes post counts as a meaningful measurement of actual contribution to the SSSS community. If we suddenly have two play by post threads then that problem is suddenly twice as big. Now, if people are dissatisfied with the current game then raising the suggestion of changing the game is an adequate solution. No one ever suggested that a second play by post thread should be created to cater to those who where dissatisfied with the rp-thing (which by the way had very diffuse "rules"). On the other hand, there is nothing stopping y'all from continuing your game through the forum's personal messaging system or similar venues. In fact that might be the best solution since the number of contributors to that game was consistently very low (as compared to the current and pre-rp contributors to the play by post thread).

Yes, we may suggest changing the game. I often do that. But I feel like I'm interrupting the others' fun - none of you ever suggested changing the rp-thingy after all. I'm not saying that we should bring it back or anything! Just as an example: what one may like the others may not.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #2024 on: December 02, 2014, 01:38:23 PM »
Hmm, "farming isn't relevant," "you must be simple," "not wearing skirts and dresses isn't feminine or pretty," "not wearing make up means you don't care about your appearance or boys," "what's wrong with you? You've never had a boyfriend?" "No wonder boys don't like you," "not doing those aforementioned things means you're a lesbian," "wait you're not gay?? But the stereotypes can't be wrong!" (Why does so much of it have to be about boys and relationships??  :o)"Country folk are so backwards, glad I don't know any--oh crap," "the way you ignored that person was nothing short of rude!" "What? You want a job you enjoy? Grow up honey.." Blah blee bloo blah

"You're never serious!"
"I can be serious, but I don't like it and you wouldn't like it either. HeeHEE." :/
Girls seems to have much more pressure than boys.

Times before high school i have experienced a lot of pressure from the other students, but it basically stopped totally when I went to high school and later to university, even i still differ very much from the 'common' student.

But i'd say that it's much more easier for you to find partner than me...