Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410875 times)

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1950 on: December 01, 2014, 06:57:02 AM »
Oh, hey! Today is the forum's 3 month anniversary AND we just passed 300 members.

Now we're ready for the Persians.

Superdark33

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Magnificent Coatl
« Reply #1951 on: December 01, 2014, 07:52:13 AM »

What would an Icelander be recruited to?

Im not an Icelander, i gave it as a clue. Im in a place very very south east of Iceland.

To the army of course!
Incumbent cutest and prettiest member of the fandom

Currently scheming....

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #1952 on: December 01, 2014, 08:08:27 AM »
Oh, hey! Today is the forum's 3 month anniversary AND we just passed 300 members.

I am so proud of myself for getting this.

And yay, forum!

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #1953 on: December 01, 2014, 08:59:46 AM »

I.... Don't think Iceland has a military aside from the coast guard.

After the Americans left, the Icelandic have only the coast guard left and the guarantee of the USA, that in case of war they will be supported.

Superdark, are you starting at basic training or do you get sent somewhere to actually work on a military base/doing something else I lack the vocabulary to ask for?
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1954 on: December 01, 2014, 09:04:28 AM »
After the Americans left, the Icelandic have only the coast guard left and the guarantee of the USA, that in case of war they will be supported.

That's not really precise, Iceland is after all a NATO member with all the associated benefits (but not necessarily the burdens).

Fenris

« Reply #1955 on: December 01, 2014, 09:26:35 AM »
That's not really precise, Iceland is after all a NATO member with all the associated benefits (but not necessarily the burdens).
And the Norwegian Armed Forces have the primary responsibility when it comes to Icelandic military matters, rather than the USA, to the point where Icelandic citizens can volunteer for the Norwegian Armed Forces even if they aren't conscripted.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1956 on: December 01, 2014, 09:32:33 AM »
And the Norwegian Armed Forces have the primary responsibility when it comes to Icelandic military matters, rather than the USA, to the point where Icelandic citizens can volunteer for the Norwegian Armed Forces even if they aren't conscripted.

Huh. That's news to me as well. I wonder if there's actually any Icelanders in the armed forces, I can't really see why they would want to be there considering that the career options are so limited.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1957 on: December 01, 2014, 09:47:00 AM »

Okay, I stand corrected:
IRCU consists of 30 members
The Air defence system of 25, but these belong to the coast guard
And the nice sounding: Víkingasveitin - special police task force  (55 members in 2010)

...I remember times when it was uncertain to quote wikipedia.

:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Fenris

« Reply #1958 on: December 01, 2014, 09:54:10 AM »
Huh. That's news to me as well. I wonder if there's actually any Icelanders in the armed forces, I can't really see why they would want to be there considering that the career options are so limited.
There are Icelanders in the Norwegian Army, although I don't know the exact number. Around a dozen Icelanders served in Afghanistan as part of the Norwegian Army a few years ago, and I'd guess there are more than that. And the military is a pretty good way to get an education, seeing as how you are paid to study for the duration (as long as you want to become an engineer, aviator, mechanic or similar and don't mind the discipline that is).

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #1959 on: December 01, 2014, 09:59:35 AM »
I wonder if there's actually any Icelanders in the armed forces, I can't really see why they would want to be there considering that the career options are so limited.
All NATO member nations are required to have at least one thousand soldiers under arms. And that would have been upped to 2000+ a long time ago if Luxembourg didn't have so much pull on the political plane.

(If you're male, you don't want to take residence in Luxembourg for three years in a row, lest you receive the Greek gift of free citizenship and a draft letter.)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1960 on: December 01, 2014, 10:03:01 AM »
All NATO member nations are required to have at least one thousand soldiers under arms. And that would have been upped to 2000+ a long time ago if Luxembourg didn't have so much pull on the political plane.

(If you're male, you don't want to take residence in Luxembourg for three years in a row, lest you receive the Greek gift of free citizenship and a draft letter.)

I was refering to Icelanders in the Norwegian Armed Forces (as volunteers). Even so, Iceland clearly doesn't live up to the 1000 soldier minimum, whereas the other members most likely have way more than that.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1961 on: December 01, 2014, 04:48:01 PM »

Huzzah!  Y'all have made this an entertaining 3 months for me!
Sadly, our 300th member was a traitor (a bot).  We're still at a lonesome 299.
Feel free to PM.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1962 on: December 01, 2014, 05:42:54 PM »
Huzzah!  Y'all have made this an entertaining 3 months for me!
Sadly, our 300th member was a traitor (a bot).  We're still at a lonesome 299.

For what it's worth, if we're talking about 300s, I passed 300 posts today  ;) (Okay, I know it's not worth anything)

...Unrelatedly, I started reading aRTD yesterday and it's consumed my homework time whole. Send help.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1963 on: December 01, 2014, 06:33:21 PM »
For what it's worth, if we're talking about 300s, I passed 300 posts today  ;) (Okay, I know it's not worth anything)

...Unrelatedly, I started reading aRTD yesterday and it's consumed my homework time whole. Send help.
300! Neato!! *makes cupcake* :3

Ah....you may be beyond help....
But, aRTD will be there waiting- put on ice, so to speak- after you finish your homework? If that's some motivation?
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1964 on: December 01, 2014, 06:41:52 PM »
Let's preemptively move the discussion about the Jung personality typology over here before the introduction thread gets flooded by non-introductions, shall we? (Man, ThisCat 's going to flay us all when she sees all the mess in that thread).

It seems a lot of our members, bar Nimphy, are actually introverts. Not really a surprise.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 06:47:34 PM by Fimbulvarg »