Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411595 times)

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1905 on: November 29, 2014, 05:56:34 AM »
I used to draw a little some years ago, but nowadays I can't be bothered. Too much finicking. I have ideas but the results are too often too far from what I had in mind, so I end up leaving the project unfinished.

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #1906 on: November 29, 2014, 07:11:37 AM »
Sometimes I practice a lot, so I guess that's good. Often I just start drawing and try to not picture the end result to save myself the disappointment of it not looking like I intended.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1907 on: November 29, 2014, 01:41:00 PM »
Sometimes I practice a lot, so I guess that's good. Often I just start drawing and try to not picture the end result to save myself the disappointment of it not looking like I intended.

That's a really good way to think. Most people can't do that (including me). And also we're taught to plan our work before we start it, ugh.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1908 on: November 29, 2014, 01:57:56 PM »
That's a really good way to think. Most people can't do that (including me). And also we're taught to plan our work before we start it, ugh.
You just have to be persistent, is what an artist friend told me.  He said he would erase over and over and redraw the way a hand connected to an arm, or a tree's roots, or whatever, until he had it the way he wanted, because he knew he was learning from it every time.  Also, as a career artist, he doesn't always get to draw what he wants, sometimes details are specified for him and he has to make other people's visions a reality.  I took his advice, and it's not as bad as it sounds.  I kind of enjoy the challenge, and I can feel myself making progress when I do it.
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1909 on: November 29, 2014, 02:35:28 PM »
Going from several weeks of intense work to several works of no work at all is actually pretty dreary thus far. Like a sudden emptiness and lack of purpose. I've doubled my excercise plan, hung out with friends, done some preparatory work for next year, played some civilization/Tales of Vesperia, done some holiday preparation, slept .... And yet I still have so much time on my hand it's actually a problem to spend it all purposefully.

Yeah, sorry if y'all are on a tight time schedule.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 03:05:37 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1910 on: November 29, 2014, 02:55:47 PM »
You just have to be persistent, is what an artist friend told me.  He said he would erase over and over and redraw the way a hand connected to an arm, or a tree's roots, or whatever, until he had it the way he wanted, because he knew he was learning from it every time.  Also, as a career artist, he doesn't always get to draw what he wants, sometimes details are specified for him and he has to make other people's visions a reality.  I took his advice, and it's not as bad as it sounds.  I kind of enjoy the challenge, and I can feel myself making progress when I do it.

I actually hear that too. And you know, the whole "you'll get better at drawing it the more you draw it" deal.
I have a problem in that I hate planning but I'm also super impatient (maybe why I hate planning?), so it means I always expect things to come out how I want them to the first try, and if they don't, I declare them trash and never rework them.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #1911 on: November 29, 2014, 03:05:29 PM »
I actually hear that too. And you know, the whole "you'll get better at drawing it the more you draw it" deal.
I have a problem in that I hate planning but I'm also super impatient (maybe why I hate planning?), so it means I always expect things to come out how I want them to the first try, and if they don't, I declare them trash and never rework them.

I have a similar problem. I either get stuck in the planning stage, or skip ahead and stop working on my pieces because I think they're awful, when in fact I just need to keep working on them.

And some general discussion-y stuff: Last night it was just my siblings and me at home, so we spent the evening failing to playing the guitar and piano and singing songs, with nobody to judge our amazing talent or lack thereof.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 04:56:08 PM by mithrysc »

P__

« Reply #1912 on: November 29, 2014, 05:12:51 PM »
I have a similar problem. I either get stuck in the planning stage, or skip ahead and stop working on my pieces because I think they're awful, when in fact I just need to keep working on them.

And some general discussion-y stuff: Last night it was just my siblings and me at home, so we spent the evening failing to playing the guitar and piano and singing songs, with nobody to judge our amazing talent or lack thereof.

You're not alone *sympathy hug*

Mithrisc, did you play/sing something from SSSS: The Musical? :D
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1913 on: November 29, 2014, 05:51:24 PM »
watched zombieland (for the I don't know x-st time) and had a good laugh at this. Banjos as wappons and not nice instruments. To stand still and stay silent would be a practicable rule there, too :D.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1914 on: November 29, 2014, 05:58:40 PM »
watched zombieland (for the I don't know x-st time) and had a good laugh at this. Banjos as wappons and not nice instruments. To stand still and stay silent would be a practicable rule there, too :D.

I love that movie, mostly because Woody Harrelson's character is amazing.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1915 on: November 29, 2014, 06:17:14 PM »
I love that movie, mostly because Woody Harrelson's character is amazing.

Yes! His role is great, not only because of his addiction to Twinkys and guns :D. He also reminds me of Ulrich Thomson. His charakter in Adams æbler is kind of a similar mixture about being tough and caring in his own way.

Speaking of Adams æbler, "Mads Mikkelsen" plays one of the main roles there, but as he does not look very close to Mikkel Madsen it would be coincidence that these names are somwhat alike.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1916 on: November 29, 2014, 06:26:00 PM »
Yes! His role is great, not only because of his addiction to Twinkys and guns :D. He also reminds me of Ulrich Thomson. His charakter in Adams æbler is kind of a similar mixture about being tough and caring in his own way.

Speaking of Adams æbler, "Mads Mikkelsen" plays one of the main roles there, but as he does not look very close to Mikkel Madsen it would be coincidence that these names are somwhat alike.

Funny you should mention that movie because my mother was watching it yesterday and has been talking about it all day.

Uh, I never really considered that. The names are suspiciously similar, but that's about it.

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #1917 on: November 29, 2014, 06:26:52 PM »

We watched that in my German class about a month ago. *shudders*

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1918 on: November 29, 2014, 06:31:07 PM »
We watched that in my German class about a month ago. *shudders*

Zombieland in German? Uh, I should have mentioned we watched it in English ;). I don't know why, but most things we watch in original soundtrack. Monty Python is not as funny in German as it is in English, the same goes for nearly every major cartoon-series from the the US. I also started watching Sailor moon (yeeeees, I was about eleven when they showed it in Germany the first time, so don't judge me too harshly, will you?) and "Monster" with subs because I like the original Japanese voices.

Funny you should mention that movie because my mother was watching it yesterday and has been talking about it all day.

World is so small :D

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #1919 on: November 29, 2014, 06:34:41 PM »
Update with some new pics in our game.