Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387872 times)

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1845 on: November 27, 2014, 05:06:07 PM »
They always work for me.

Uh, "they always work" sounds like something you'd say from actual first hand experience.

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
« Reply #1846 on: November 27, 2014, 05:33:53 PM »
Uh, "they always work" sounds like something you'd say from actual first hand experience.
*actually heavily blushes*
Weeell, harmless things like warding off younger brothers and/or (more or less dangerous) schoolmates (the one who bit me beforehand), does that count?
*knocks on wood*
If it ever comes to a real fight, I hope they still help to defend myself. (At least I like to imagine it going that way...)
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1847 on: November 27, 2014, 05:43:04 PM »
*actually heavily blushes*
Weeell, harmless things like warding off younger brothers and/or (more or less dangerous) schoolmates (the one who bit me beforehand), does that count?
*knocks on wood*
If it ever comes to a real fight, I hope they still help to defend myself. (At least I like to imagine it going that way...)
It counts. At least in some kinds of fights I suppose (not claiming to be a seasoned streetfighter myself).
But I'm starting to picture the SSSS community in a fight: Eich is slowly falling over with a long-drawn "noooooo" as the ground slowly approaches is face; Nimphy is jabbing at her opponent's nose like Mike Tyson and Clayres is clawing through clothes and flesh like the Wolverine himself.

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1848 on: November 27, 2014, 06:00:56 PM »
It counts. At least in some kinds of fights I suppose (not claiming to be a seasoned streetfighter myself).
But I'm starting to picture the SSSS community in a fight: Eich is slowly falling over with a long-drawn "noooooo" as the ground slowly approaches is face; Nimphy is jabbing at her opponent's nose like Mike Tyson and Clayres is clawing through clothes and flesh like the Wolverine himself.
I'd take you with me!  ;)   
Do we have any biters?  They might make good Tyson substitutes as well, if they go for the ears and noses.
Feel free to PM.

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1849 on: November 27, 2014, 06:01:50 PM »
;D (*snicker* "like the Wolverine", huh?)
And Fimbulvarg trumps us all with actual military experience...

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1850 on: November 27, 2014, 06:06:43 PM »
I'd take you with me!  ;)   
If I recall your height correctly from a disqus comment a long time ago I'd be in less severe trouble compared to you  :P

;D (*snicker* "like the Wolverine", huh?)
And Fimbulvarg trumps us all with actual military experience...
Like I said I don't really have that. I would probably be too busy laughing myself to death anyhow.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 06:20:40 PM by Fimbulvarg »

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1851 on: November 27, 2014, 06:13:02 PM »
At my old high school (all girls) we had "well being sessions" once a week, essentially a free period where we weren't free and had to read, meditate or go to the chapel. Our new teacher (it was her first year as a teacher) decided to take us all downtown to her sensei (she was a black belt!!) so he could teach us some self defense against horrible men.
Most moves involved kneeing them between the legs, and learning how to punch.....I still can't punch properly, I tend to just whack things with the outer side of my fist because I don't wanna damage my hand :/ but the outer side is really soft and probably won't do any damage to a horrible person :( My only hope of stopping them would be if they were already on the ground....I'm pretty good at stomping...but that's not really self defense, so I think I'd get in trouble maybe u____u
Man, I'd be hopeless, even the sensei said so. And my dad. ("You're strong sweetie, but not in the same way that men are strong. I could rip your arm off. If I fell on you you'd die." "Gee, I love you too dad.") Hopefully any inhibitions about looking stupid and fat would be overridden by survival? Hmmmm
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1852 on: November 27, 2014, 06:15:08 PM »
Like I said I don't really have that. I would probably be too busy laughing myself to death anyhow.
First: Whoops, my bad, silly memory did not remember correctly.
Second: I know I would. ;D

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1853 on: November 27, 2014, 06:41:58 PM »
At my old high school (all girls) we had "well being sessions" once a week, essentially a free period where we weren't free and had to read, meditate or go to the chapel. Our new teacher (it was her first year as a teacher) decided to take us all downtown to her sensei (she was a black belt!!) so he could teach us some self defense against horrible men.
Most moves involved kneeing them between the legs, and learning how to punch.....I still can't punch properly, I tend to just whack things with the outer side of my fist because I don't wanna damage my hand :/ but the outer side is really soft and probably won't do any damage to a horrible person :( My only hope of stopping them would be if they were already on the ground....I'm pretty good at stomping...but that's not really self defense, so I think I'd get in trouble maybe u____u
Man, I'd be hopeless, even the sensei said so. And my dad. ("You're strong sweetie, but not in the same way that men are strong. I could rip your arm off. If I fell on you you'd die." "Gee, I love you too dad.") Hopefully any inhibitions about looking stupid and fat would be overridden by survival? Hmmmm
You punch things with your knuckles (added by your hips and torso) though. Your father seems like an understanding (if somewhat unintentionally threatening) person; ask him for a punching bag. With some practice you'll get the hang of it and it will feel less painfull to your wrist and knuckles.

Failing that, the old knee to the groin has a reputation for being devastating.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1854 on: November 27, 2014, 06:50:38 PM »
You punch things with your knuckles (added by your hips and torso) though. Your father seems like an understanding (if somewhat unintentionally threatening) person; ask him for a punching bag. With some practice you'll get the hang of it and it will feel less painfull to your wrist and knuckles.

Man punches involve some shoulder movement.  I guess it has to do with the distribution of weight?
Knees/kicks/overly aggressive pillow fight hits to the groin... Not fun... In any way.  Men who get in fight with women for defense-inducing reasons deserve it, but if  they're smart they'll narrow their stance a bit.  My roommates last year had an accidental tussle and the one who got hit there nearly threw up (also, he was wearing his banana suit, which made it hilarious).
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1855 on: November 27, 2014, 06:54:44 PM »
Man punches involve some shoulder movement.  I guess it has to do with the distribution of weight?
Knees/kicks/overly aggressive pillow fight hits to the groin... Not fun... In any way.  Men who get in fight with women for defense-inducing reasons deserve it, but if  they're smart they'll narrow their stance a bit.  My roommates last year had an accidental tussle and the one who got hit there nearly threw up (also, he was wearing his banana suit, which made it hilarious).

Well, yeah, you punch harder if you use the arm furthest away from your assailant (when facing him with your side towards him, like a boxer) as you use the combined strength of your back leg, your hip rotation, your torso and your shoulder to propel your fist into him.

Of course he was wearing his banana suit ....

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1856 on: November 27, 2014, 06:58:05 PM »

Like...shot-put? ':/

Yeah, that's my dad alright. He tends to accidentally make people cry a lot.... Children, teens, young adults, grown men, politicians, animals, inanimate objects... U___U

Well, yeah, you punch harder if you use the arm furthest away from your assailant (when facing him with your side towards him, like a boxer) as you use the combined strength of your back leg, your hip rotation, your torso and your shoulder to propel your fist into him.

Oh! Ok!

Hehe....Of course.

overly aggressive pillow fight hits to the groin...
....sounds...specific.  >:P

Unrelated: I accidentally broke and fractured someone's arm in a pillow fight once... U___U
Pillows are dangerous.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 07:06:02 PM by OrigamiOwl »

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1857 on: November 27, 2014, 07:24:35 PM »

He was... eccentric.  He was messing with one of the other roommates, dancing around to really loud music (pbj time) during his study time. 

Like...shot-put? ':/

Yeah, that's my dad alright. He tends to accidentally make people cry a lot.... Children, teens, young adults, grown men, politicians, animals, inanimate objects... U___U
Oh! Ok!

Hehe....Of course.
....sounds...specific.  >:P

Unrelated: I accidentally broke and fractured someone's arm in a pillow fight once... U___U
Pillows are dangerous.
Specific for a reason.

Your dad sounds like an unusually hardcore dude. o_o
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1858 on: November 27, 2014, 07:34:11 PM »
He was... eccentric.  He was messing with one of the other roommates, dancing around to really loud music (pbj time) during his study time. 
Specific for a reason.

Your dad sounds like an unusually hardcore dude. o_o
That sounds like it should have been filmed and turned into a vine/uploaded to YouTube or something.....the banana incident. Not the pillow fight.

I didn't know dudes had pillow fights. Or sleepovers. What do guys even do at sleepovers?? (Or was it a sibling pillow fight?)
My friends little brother is a gamer and invites his friends over for the night so they can just play games all night and talk about girls and science and their feelings. They all freaked out when I came down the stairs go get a glass from their kitchen. So it must've been top secret ;P (I was staying over also, but upstairs)

Yeah, he can be.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1859 on: November 27, 2014, 07:50:38 PM »
That sounds like it should have been filmed and turned into a vine/uploaded to YouTube or something.....the banana incident. Not the pillow fight.

I didn't know dudes had pillow fights. Or sleepovers. What do guys even do at sleepovers?? (Or was it a sibling pillow fight?)
My friends little brother is a gamer and invites his friends over for the night so they can just play games all night and talk about girls and science and their feelings. They all freaked out when I came down the stairs go get a glass from their kitchen. So it must've been top secret ;P (I was staying over also, but upstairs)

Yeah, he can be.
I filmed it, but it was on his phone, so I don't have it.

It was summer camp years ago, so we were young.  Guys do gaming "sleepovers" (though we won't call them that) all the time.  Feeling talks are standard, and girl talks are too.  Surprisingly, feeling talks are more common.  Also, yeah, a girl breaking into the environment can stop up the atmosphere when we're young (girls can't be trusted ::)).  In high school, we'd hang out with the gals too, and play even more video games.  Then they'd leave to spend the night at one of their houses and the philosophy and words would start. 
Feel free to PM.