Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387861 times)

Hrollo

• Ranger
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #15915 on: July 05, 2016, 07:05:03 PM »
Although, I feel this argument is not as pervasive as it looks, because spending a lot of money in *any* hard science or engineering field yields unexcepted positive applications in other fields and daily life — both nuclear power and the micro-wave oven are the product of *military* research spending (this works both ways of course: military tanks developed out of technology which originally was created for agricultural tractors, dynamite was originally meant for civil engineering, and TNT started as a *dye*).

So while it's true that investing a lot of money in space exploration will have positive impact, I feel the same would be just as true if that money was invested into deep sea exploration or in energy research.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #15916 on: July 05, 2016, 07:20:24 PM »
Exactly that. We don't spend time, money or brainpower enough on most of the sciences.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Mostly lurking these days
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #15917 on: July 05, 2016, 07:31:30 PM »
TNT started as a *dye*.
Really? Huh, didn't know that.
Exactly that. We don't spend time, money or brainpower enough on most of the sciences.
True that.
Honestly, I'm a little bewildered by how people aren't interested in space exploration. Our world is miniscule when compared to the rest of the universe. Yes, our world is an amazing place, but there are so many other worlds, each with the potential to be just as amazing as our little Earth. I mean, come on, their could be alien life forms out there! Maybe we won't be able to look for them this decade, or the next, or the one after that, but one day we could be able to find them. The universe is a huge, strange, marvelous place. How can you not want to see what space has to offer?
Avatar by the amazing and wonderful ginger ^-^ :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:
Fluent :usa:, Learning in school :spain:

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #15918 on: July 05, 2016, 08:58:17 PM »
Really? Huh, didn't know that.True that.

Basically the thing was, compared to other explosives avalaible at the time, TNT was extremely stable, to the point that it's actually hard to detonate, and in fact its explosive properties weren't discovered for almost 30 years after its discovery.

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #15919 on: July 05, 2016, 10:33:29 PM »
Honestly, I'm a little bewildered by how people aren't interested in space exploration. Our world is miniscule when compared to the rest of the universe. Yes, our world is an amazing place, but there are so many other worlds, each with the potential to be just as amazing as our little Earth. I mean, come on, their could be alien life forms out there! Maybe we won't be able to look for them this decade, or the next, or the one after that, but one day we could be able to find them. The universe is a huge, strange, marvelous place. How can you not want to see what space has to offer?
^^^^^^^^this! As my friend said, "Down is finite. Up is infinite."
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #15920 on: July 05, 2016, 11:16:57 PM »
Well, on the flipside, humans have a very limited sense of scale. The horizon seems far away, but at sea level it's less than 5 km away. And when you're in a forest from your point of view there's no difference between a forest that's has an area of 10 hectares and one that has an area of 10,000 hectares. We cannot really apprehend the size of things that are smaller than half a milimeter or bigger than a hill.

So in that sense it doesn't really matter that the Earth is *comparatively* very small compared to everything else — for many people that is meaningless.

Kelpie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • formerly known as Jhev
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #15921 on: July 06, 2016, 12:13:55 PM »
I forgot the tornado sirens were being tested today, and it scared me to death when they went off. Will I ever remember? The answer is: not likely.
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Fluent :usa:
Learning :germany:
Can count in :japan:
Actually learned a lot of in elementary school, but can now only remember how to decline verbs :vaticancity:
Maybe some day :norway:

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #15922 on: July 06, 2016, 07:28:04 PM »
So apparently Finland has been putting babies in cardboard boxes and it's been lowering the infant mortality rate.

I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

Pupunen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #15923 on: July 06, 2016, 07:51:06 PM »
So apparently Finland has been putting babies in cardboard boxes and it's been lowering the infant mortality rate.
Yes. :) I don't know if I ever slept in my box (I think my parents maybe bought me an actual bed in advance) but I remember being really excited when my younger siblings' boxes arrived with all the cute baby clothes inside. It felt like being one step closer to getting a new brother or sister.
Native: :finland:
Fluent: :sweden: :uk:
Good: :italy:
Understand but don't speak: :denmark: :norway:
Basics: :russia: :wales: :iceland: :vaticancity:

:chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15:

OwlsG0

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #15924 on: July 06, 2016, 11:46:54 PM »

That is shockingly sensible and adorable. Two birds with one box.

(I wonder if this custom might have survived into post-apocalypse Finland?)
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #15925 on: July 07, 2016, 12:01:10 AM »
That is shockingly sensible and adorable. Two birds with one box.

(I wonder if this custom might have survived into post-apocalypse Finland?)

(sounds like a new headcanon if I'd ever heard one! I'm on board.)
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Eris

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Lady of Chaos
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #15926 on: July 07, 2016, 12:40:09 AM »
In Minnesota, a nonprofit group distributed the boxes to low-income families, inspiring a proposal being debated by state lawmakers.
Minnesota is (sort of) trying it, too! Maybe it'll catch on.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #15927 on: July 07, 2016, 01:25:53 AM »
Ahhhh guys I am listening to the soundtrack from The Tigger Movie and that was one of my favourite movies as a kid, I knew all the words to the songs and we listened to the sound track all the time in the car, and I had a little cassette player with the songs and I used to bring it around with me everywhere and play it over and over and over and now I'm getting really emotional and tearing up ahhhhh.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Jethan

• Ranger
  • Lurker and Forum Gamer
« Reply #15928 on: July 07, 2016, 01:39:18 AM »
I keep going to the "Who's Viewing What" page and I'm spying on all of you...MWAHAHAHAHA!
Or at least I did it a couple times.

Baby Shower in a box.  That does seem kinda fun.
An innate goofball who wanted to be elegant and composed.  That ain't happening.

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #15929 on: July 07, 2016, 01:45:45 AM »
Ahhhh guys I am listening to the soundtrack from The Tigger Movie and that was one of my favourite movies as a kid, I knew all the words to the songs and we listened to the sound track all the time in the car, and I had a little cassette player with the songs and I used to bring it around with me everywhere and play it over and over and over and now I'm getting really emotional and tearing up ahhhhh.

That's precious. I love it when stuff like that happens :D Kind of reminds me when I was a kid I had a cassette with music from 101 Dalmatians that I'd listen to all the time. I wonder whatever happened to that thing . .

Okay sorry this is really loose association but thinking of that cassette tape made me think of how I have memories of it back when I was like 2 or 3 which made me start thinking about some of my earliest memories ? Like, I had to have been 2-ish because these memories are at my first house that I moved from when I was 2. One of them I had a banana, and being a toddler I smeared it on the wall. My cousin who was almost 20 at the time walks in and is like "what did you do ?!?" but I found out they actually cleaned it up for me and covered for me because my parents didn't even know about that story until I was older and told them so that's cool. I also have a lot of memories of throwing my favorite shiny red rattle down the stairs.

I also thought there was an octopus that wore a hat that lived in my closet at that house and it absolutely terrified me.

I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign: